Venice! Stonehenge, London. M6 or M10R?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey All -

Always love getting thoughts from people who like talking about these things and know what they're talking about. 

I'm headed to Venice for 24 hours and Stonehenge for an afternoon this month - should I bring an M6 or M10R? Will likely be attaching a 21 summilux, or 28 summicron. 

And a Barnack ii in the back pocket. 

Thanks!

Michael 

On film, I found the 21mm Summilux rather difficult to frame accurately even when using the Frankenfinder. 

With digital, you have the Visoflex or LCD to assist and verify those critical perspectives.

With a 28mm on digital a multi-shot stitched panorama is a practical solution for wide vistas.

With either film or digital the 28mm Summicron is a nice compact walk about lens.

Edited by FrozenInTime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want to use film and have time before your trip, get a 21mm 4.0 Voigtlander LTM. Often they can be found with the plastic finder. Put that on your Barnack, take some film and your phone. Leave everything else home.

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, madNbad said:

If you want to use film and have time before your trip, get a 21mm 4.0 Voigtlander LTM. Often they can be found with the plastic finder. Put that on your Barnack, take some film and your phone. Leave everything else home. 

Thanks for the suggestion! The Barnack is a recent pickup and thus far have used it as the pocket camera on the move. 

Edited by MEC

3 hours ago, MEC said:

I bought a device I load the film into then trim around it. Pretty convenient. 

Save some weight while travelling. Count 20 perforations and trim by eye with the scissors on your Swiss Army knife. Just remember which edge to trim from! (Yes, I made that mistake).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I think a lot depends on what time of day you'll be at Stonehenge and what the light will be like.

My instinct would be to photograph Stonehenge on film, especially if you're there in the afternoon. Old stones = old medium.

Venice has so many fine details that I prefer digital there. But I'd give Stonehenge priority, probably.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Save some weight while travelling. Count 20 perforations and trim by eye with the scissors on your Swiss Army knife. Just remember which edge to trim from! (Yes, I made that mistake).

Smart. 

14 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Trim a couple of rolls before you leave so you’ll have them before the TSA takes your Swiss Army Knife away.

• Like 1