What next ???

leica dream

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is now a few weeks since I parted with my old Braun Paxette and I am beginning to get withdrawal symptoms from what was emerging as my newfound re-interest in film photography. Looking for a substitute here in the UK is proving difficult especially because my little Leica C (type 112) digital has become my carry everywhere companion, so am looking for an equivalently small film version which can live easily in my pocket.

I keep coming back to watching Contax T3, but they have stupid prices for what seems to be no more than "fashionable" reasons. Nevertheless what I see is a camera producing the level of excellence and physical size which would satisfy me.

So, as I am looking for an affordable good quality pocketable film camera I wonder whether any experienced Forum members might have constructive ideas. Any input would be very welcome for possible solutions ............ and also warnings of any which experience shows I should avoid at all cost.

The 35mm Minox cameras are very pocketable, and the lens is excellent. They can suffer from shutter faults so buy from someone who will accept a return if it's not working properly. AE or program exposure and manual focus (no rangefinder).

Plenty of AF compacts available for little money.

Olympus 35RC. Few cameras achieve being able to work on Auto exposure, or fully manual (and without batteries but no meter). So you are never left in the lurch. It also has a fantastic lens which of course is the main determinator and a clear rangefinder when you have a good one. So you can look at super expensive battery dependant auto focus boutique P&S cameras, but Olympus did it first, and did it  better with a manual focus rangefinder. I got my RC35 at a car boot sale for £5 and after getting an adapter to use newer cells and a new battery it is without doubt in my mind a mini Leica CL. I think you could expect to pay much more for one online, but if you research all that range of Olympus P&S variants they all win by having fantastic lenses.

I could also say try the Olympus XA, a triumph in packaging and an iconic camera design, and also with an amazing lens. But while on the one hand it is very easy to use with a nice rangefinder and slips into a pocket like no other 35mm camera ever made it is battery dependant. Equally though it isn't too much money for a good one. I got mine from a car boot sale knocked down to £3 because it didn't work but I'd already checked the mild corrosion on the battery terminals so knew it could probably be cleaned up. In the same vein but even simpler is the XA-2, also a very fine camera.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

I’d recommend the Lomo LC-Wide. I’ve not come across such a versatile camera, not only full frame, but 1/2 frame, square and multiple exposure. In addition the ability to shoot endless panoramas using the full frame setting, selecting 1/2 frame film advance and viewfinder settings. It’s possibly the most versatile camera I’ve ever owned. Love it. Remember, lens quality and the resulting pleasure of the end product is an illusion.

• Like 1

I started reading the thread and immediately thought "Olympus 35RC" then saw that @250swb beat me to it. It was the first camera I bought with my own money back in the 70s, I recently went back and scanned some old negatives and was very impressed by the image quality. It is also nice to use, being small rather than tiny, and the control layout seems to work well.

I also have an old 35RD, a later model in the same line. It has a 40mm f/1.7 lens (35RC is 42mm f/2.8) and is correspondingly bigger all round. It is still lovely, but the design of the controls doesn't seem as easy to use and it doesn't have quite the same appeal for me. And there a lot fewer of them around so they are probably more expensive.

John

I have given grreat thought to my options and, in fact, concluded that "pocketable" is not a requirement. After all, the camera I lost was full size.

Coincidentally I have the opportunity to purchase a Leica R4 with Summicron F2 50mm lens at (to me) affordable cost.  Looks like a very substantial camera but comes fully tested and 12 month warranty from an established source so I might go with that.

Any comment - good or bad?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leica dream said:

I have given grreat thought to my options and, in fact, concluded that "pocketable" is not a requirement. After all, the camera I lost was full size.

Coincidentally I have the opportunity to purchase a Leica R4 with Summicron F2 50mm lens at (to me) affordable cost.  Looks like a very substantial camera but comes fully tested and 12 month warranty from an established source so I might go with that.

Any comment - good or bad?

The R system cameras have many fans here - you might want to post in the R forum for further advice. Here are some things to look out for when buying one:

https://www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica/page6.html

One thing to consider - can you find any other lenses you might need for a reasonable price? - some R primes are quite expensive. Note also that there are several generations of Leicaflex/R lenses with varying degrees of compatibility:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_R_bayonet

Of course there are many other SLR system choices, often with more readily available, reasonably priced lenses, but this is a Leica forum...

In case you are still considering smaller cameras, a screwmount Leica (except perhaps the IIIg) is very 'jacket-pocketable' with a collapsible lens like the Elmar, though a little heavy. It was, after all, the original 35mm pocket camera.

I went trough many compact film ones. Anything with electronics crapped out within regular use. First Olympus XA, bunch of Minox 35 were much worse. Rolley 35 were crude advance cameras and heavy for no reason with thin top plate. 

The only camera which was joy and confidence in use with durability provided as elegance was Barnack. I started with IIf and finished with IIIc post war as well. Both were priced reasonably and right after CLA (which is not as expensive as M CLA).

With collapsible lens and in the neoprene case matching camera shape it was very compact to carry on.

I also went through bunch of Japanese copies and while they were less expensive and made  good, they were just copies.  

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 10:44 AM, leica dream said:

Coincidentally I have the opportunity to purchase a Leica R4 with Summicron F2 50mm lens at (to me) affordable cost.

I own one and an R6 (the mechanical sibling). The lens is very good, in its time the benchmark 50mm SLR lens. It came somewhat as the R-System’s kit lens if buyers didn't opt for the 35-70 f4 zoom. The V2’s value doubled in the last decade. 

The camera is a product of Leica’s collaboration with Minolta at that time. The mechanisms, anything moving, are not comparable with the M system in terms of quality. But still, it was one of the best SLR systems you could buy in its hay day. The R4 was the entry model but not quality-wise. It has the same excellent optical system as the R6, which was the most expensive SLR in the late 80ies. 

The electronics can be wonky, affecting the shutter in priority mode (P) and cannot be repaired at reasonable costs. My R4 is affected but aperture priority (A) still works. The light seals must be replaced in any camera with the last CLA older than say 7 years. 

If you, like me, dislike micro prism rings in the focusing screen/ground glass, there’s an alternative focusing screen available for repro work that’s even a tad brighter.

Other than that, the R-System cameras are surprisingly compact and sturdy SLRs made for long life in service. Good choice!!

Edited by hansvons

Thank you for that.  Nothing has been finalised yet. I did know about potential electronic issues but research indicates that it was restricted to serials below 1.600. They have not come back to me yet with answers to my enquiries, including serial number.

My ideal would be an R6 but prices are rather hyped - maybe to catch the last fully mechanical version of the series. Either way, patience will prevail to get an acceptable option ant these prices.

Well, I can close this thread now having followed several leads for R camares or body/lens combinations but without success. A couple of days ago I took a step back to rethink what I am doing and why.  I realised that I had become more obsessed about gaining a suitable Leica than I was about my simple real objective of rejuvanating my interest in film. So, knowing that I was winding the clock back 50/60 years for a suitable camera I remembered what camera I had at that time to trade-in for my first Leica, it was a Pentax ME Super, so I began researching their availability.  Quite freely available, but the challenge was to find one of good quality at a sensible price. I am delighted that I now have another ME Super with 50mm f1.4 lens to get back into film.

Sorry, everyone, that I could not settle on a Leica, and indeed I have valued and followed up every suggestion from the forum, but never fear, I shall doubtless have my ME over my shoulder along with my Leica C (type 112) in my pocket to compliment one another.

Very garteful for all your support.

Richard

• Like 3