Best Handgrip for M11

roofus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, FrankF said:

It is relevant to any Leica.  It gets to the matter of use and personal preferences.  Sometimes, and especially in photo circles, alternatives are not based upon need. 

The M11 is a lot easier to find the bottom door on a grip.  But getting portrait mode is still lacking, except for RRS that has it all.

I guess a different solution for me is to toss my M10R and get an M11??????

My ball head on my tripod can rotate to portrait mode.  

I use an arte di mano half case on my M11 with a small raised section at the front that gives me enough of a grip to improve my grip on the camera. They also do one with a much bigger front grip. The bottom of the case has a tripod thread and a flap that allows access to the battery/SD card compartment and the usb-c port. 

I only use a tripod when I’m taking landscape pictures and in that case, I know I’ll be doing that and don’t need a permanently integrated arca plate. The battery life is so good that I know I won’t often need to replace the battery so I just attach a Peak Design arca plate, which covers enough of the bottom flap to prevent access to the battery. If I’m not certain whether I’ll need access, I use a small sirui plate pushed all the way left which lets me get to the battery. I shoot a lot of tripod mounted pictures in portrait and I just move the ballhead from horizontal to vertical. Easier than clipping out and back in again. 

On my Q2, I have a Lim’s half case with an integrated arca plate. The grip is great but I haven’t found the integrated plate an advantage or the lack of an L-bracket to be a problem. 

Edited by ianforber

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the IDS Grip for my M11P, as I liked the IDS for my Q3 very much. The M11-IDS-grip is way bulkier than the sleek Q3-IDS-grip. I used it for a while and exchanged ist for the original Leica grip. Why? The IDS has a magnetic cover for the battery compartment of the M11. This magnetic cover always opened itself while cross-carrying the camera. This annoyed me so much that I got the Leica grip, which has a neat rubber cover which stays in its place. 

Nonetheless, both grips were too bulky for me, so I changed to pure camera without grip. I am waiting for a grip as sleek as the IDS-Q3 version.