Alik Griffin: Best SD Memory Cards Leica M11

SrMi

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-leica-m11/

Alik benchmarked various cards on M11 and came to surprising findings: Leica M11 is not working properly with some new V90 cards :(.

Wow im shocked with the performance… i wish leica didnt use the old UDMA 4 protocol to communicate with the sdcard, which is quite limiting that a firmware update isn’t related anymore

i have been too careful to buy additional sdcard for my m11, i have only used my Sony II v90 quite exclusively hoping the fast write speed might help, but seems that’s not the case too

That is a bit disappointing as I also use the Sandisk v90 and it looks like the M11 is only writing at 1/5 the speed that the card is capable of. Having said that it’s not really a big deal for me. My M11 is never on continuous shooting mode, I have other cameras for action/wildlife photography and I use the Leica when I want to slow down. And the speed of the memory card comes in handy when transferring the files to my computer.

It has been for years that most camera SD slots are slower than some cards. the benefit of a faster card is in the time you download it to the computer.

I have tested the camera for sport, and it is too slow to get more than two shots with a ball on internal memory, no need for faster speed.

But I must say that I disagree with his choice of cards. Lexar or rebranded lexar Cards: Really?  That is the worse brand on memory cards, the fail at one point with guarantee !

I would stay away from some Sony cards, Hoodman, Ritz is just rebranded...

I have been using OWC, Prograde ( they use to be lexar 😐, but without the problems ) and Sandisk.

42 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

As @Photoworks has written, the speed of most cameras is by default always slower than the available card speeds. Sony Gen. III has been noted to be below 100 as well and I think there is no camera on the market at the moment that would use the full SD UHS-II speeds (please correct me if I am wrong).

I think the issue here is not just that they are slower, but depending on the brand they can be much slower.

e.g. you can get a Lexar and a Sandisk that on paper the same V90 specs with a write speed of 250MB/s, and on the M11 the Lexar will have 100MB/s but the Sandisk only 50MB/s.

When you factor in the extensive testing in this article, plus the difference in manufacturing of the physical cards themselves, I'm sticking with the Delkin Black V90 UHSII cards I use today.

You get what you pay for (in this case) - technically a superior quality of manufacturing (virtually unbreakable single piece molded card), a demonstrably better read/write performance, and a 48hr replacement lifetime warranty should you ever have an issue.

I've said for years that the mass-market SD cards are produced to a price rather than a performance standard - and this article backs that up.

Still, if you are prepared to drop $10k on a camera, a pro SD card isn't really a big uplift is it.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with Lexar Gold or Silver SD cards over the last decade of using them. I did have a Sony card (Toughtech) fail to work right on my D850. I am now using an OWC 256GB SDXC UHSII V90 card in my Leica M11. I have not tested the speed, though, and don't feel the need to, as the card performance in camera seems adequate for my purposes.

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

As @Photoworks has written, the speed of most cameras is by default always slower than the available card speeds. Sony Gen. III has been noted to be below 100 as well and I think there is no camera on the market at the moment that would use the full SD UHS-II speeds (please correct me if I am wrong).

I think the SL2 needs every bit of speed you can get when shooting video. at max setting even some v90 cards are dropping frame and stopping.

1 hour ago, wizard said:

Because the SanDisk is too slow to freeze 😎.

So much the better then. When i read reviews like this i have the feeling that reviewers calculate speeds w/o doing the least effort to try the cards in real word situations. Not my job they would say i guess :rolleyes:Problem of the M11 is not speeds per se but was and still is for some of us, freezes and the fact that a card in "tough", "rugged", "black" or whatever does not mean that it causes less freeze issues on the M11. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, elmars said:

Me too. I use SanDisk V90.

I am also using SanDisk V90 without any issues, but I am transitioning to Delkin Black v90:

- more rugged

- no locking slider

- twice the read/write speed on M11.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, lct said:

So much the better then. When i read reviews like this i have the feeling that reviewers calculate speeds w/o doing the least effort to try the cards in real word situations. Not my job they would say i guess :rolleyes:Problem of the M11 is not speeds per se but was and still is for some of us, freezes and the fact that a card in "tough", "rugged", "black" or whatever does not mean that it causes less freeze issues on the M11. 

I feel you 😂😂😂