Customer satisfaction survey Leica M11 owners (May 2023)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/25/2023 at 10:30 PM, ianforber said:

I haven’t found this to be the case. I just checked to be sure by selecting one of my user profiles, switching the camera off, removing the battery and counting up to 10 seconds before reinserting and switching the camera back on. It was still on the selected user profile. I then dialled in some EV adjustment  -1 stop) that isn’t saved as part of the profile I selected and repeated the process. When switched back on, the same profile was used and the temporary -1 stop EV was still dialled in. All this was done with a Leica coded lens so I then repeated with a Voigtlander non-coded lens. Same result. 

I can only think that my profile settings are such that it isn’t prompting the problem you are experiencing. 

I frequently note that it’s returned to default. I’ve no idea why. 

I’m not really sure what the point of profiles is if they simply revert to default when you change things. 

For example, if my profile has Auto ISO and I decide to switch to 800 for a few shots them I don’t expect my profile to change to default as a result. I expect it to remain as my profile with one item changed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

I frequently note that it’s returned to default. I’ve no idea why. 

I’m not really sure what the point of profiles is if they simply revert to default when you change things. 

For example, if my profile has Auto ISO and I decide to switch to 800 for a few shots them I don’t expect my profile to change to default as a result. I expect it to remain as my profile with one item changed. 

Think of profiles as “loading” your settings when you start up the camera or switch to a different one. Once a profile is loaded, if you change something, it’s no longer the profile, it’s the profiles settings plus your new setting you just changed. I think it’s an incorrect way for Leica to do it, but they didn’t ask me. What it should show is the same profile with a little plus mark beside it to show you’ve changed something. Other manufacturers also let you set a preference for the profile to continually update and save every change you make. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

In such a case, your custom profile is replaced by the Default profile but the camera will keep 800 iso in memory so that 800 iso will be kept for your next shootings. The other settings of your custom profile should be kept as well. I say should as i have not tried for a long time. Easy to check anyway. AFAIC when i see the default profile icon on the status menu i know that my custom profile has been changed so i can return to it in a snap at will. Not a big deal, it is just a matter of habit i guess.

16 hours ago, lct said:

In such a case, your custom profile is replaced by the Default profile but the camera will keep 800 iso in memory so that 800 iso will be kept for your next shootings. The other settings of your custom profile should be kept as well. I say should as i have not tried for a long time. Easy to check anyway. AFAIC when i see the default profile icon on the status menu i know that my custom profile has been changed so i can return to it in a snap at will. Not a big deal, it is just a matter of habit i guess.

Yesterday I was looking at the profiles menu and accidentally clicked on the default profile without having a saved profile in there to fall back on. Most everything was reset to default factory settings, even the date/time format from 12 hour to the default 24 hour. Needless to say, after that I manually redid all my settings back and made a profile.

Mine keeps some settings from my previous custom profile if i select the Default profile, i don't know why or how, but i have set up 6 custom profiles since i got the camera and they are easy to select through the status menu or with a function button. For those interested, i chose the FN button for that. FWIW.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My M11-P retains its user profile/last settings if I remove/replace the battery. However, when in a user profile setting if I change any parameter (like EV or ISO), then later change it back to be the same as the profile settings, it doesn’t revert to that profile but shows as default. The same behavior of changing parameters within a user profile then changing them back on my Q3 (and M10-R and M10M) returns the camera to the selected user profile, so hopefully this is something that can be corrected in a future firmware update.

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2023 at 3:03 PM, LBJ2 said:

M11 has received a few firmware updates since, but was initially measured about 2.3 seconds startup time. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Truely agonizing slow start-up. The Fuji 100 of my wife is so nice (it stores the last parameters in some memory bank, and unless some mechanics changed (a new sd card. . , a new battery..) it reverts to the session, i.e. real sleep mode. And wake-up is in sub second.

Is it a deal-breaker ? I’m not an owner by the way. Just curious.

Edited by Alberti

3 minutes ago, Alberti said:

Truely agonizing slow start-up. The Fuji 100 of my wife is so nice (it stores the last parameters in some memory bank, and unless some mechanics changed (a new sd card. . , a new battery..) it reverts to the session, i.e. real sleep mode. And wake-up is in sub second.

I measured about 2 sec startup time some time ago i.e. the same time as my M240 more or less. I use SD Card Formatter to format all my cards though so i don't know how long it can take without it.

1 hour ago, Alberti said:

I keep all my cameras at the ready when using, so startup time is mostly irrelevant for me. But I do know some prefer to turn on /off the camera in between shots and others do this to save battery when needed. If someone is able to turn on the camera and raise it to their eye and then take a good shot in under 2 or 2.3s, then yes, this might be a problem.

Same here. It takes about 2s to turn on but I don’t then switch the camera off while out shooting. I will occasionally gently touch the shutter release to ensure the camera is wide awake while I wander around but, in any case, if I do that in the process of raising it from my hip (I carry the camera cross-body) to my eye, it’s ready by the time I take the shot. 

A question on ,noise'.

The M11 manual says "Except when high sensitivities are used, noise is luckily negligible." [p77]

Is this really your experience? 

[In my M10 with 47 MP when I go to 100% to check for instance focus, the details are often washed and absorbed in noise sometimes even well below 2500A. The lighting temp is the reason of course.]

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Alberti:

Ah yes it has the long battery power. So you can set the device standby mode = 5 or even = 10 min.

Would that not solve the ever-ready issue in many circumstances?

Put it to 30 min or even 60 min. The battery is powerful enough for that. 

• Thanks 1

Drowning in the M11 tutorial, I saw:

SPLIT IMAGE METHOD (page 95 manual)

For an architectural photograph, you might aim the metering field of the rangefinder at e.g. the vertical edge or any other clearly defined vertical line and keep turning the focus ring on the lens until the edge contour or the line is visible at the outer edges of the metering field without any offset.

The metering field of the rangefinder is displayed as a bright, sharp-edged rectangle in both methods.

Question :

This is totally new. And not understandable. I have not seen this, the M10 (nor M2, M6, M8) does not have this split personality in focussing (only SUPERIMPOSED IMAGE METHOD) or did I miss something?

• How does it work (in users terms)
  • and is it handsome? Are you happy with this alternative
  • Or is this just plain talk of the split image method in other words? I am confused and split about this by now 😴

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The picture is a bit misleading. When focusing , you can either superimpose the two images inside the patch or you can follow a straight line running across the upper or lower edge of the patch and align the two halves. When focusing straight vertical lines (e.g. buildings, frames etc), the split method can be a bit more accurate because of the higher contrast (but it only works on long vertical lines.

57 minutes ago, Alberti said:

That means I can try it even on my M9! But as I expected, the only thing that moves is the central patch. In the age-old split-image aligning mode.
So is there a special feature on the M11 for architecture?

Nothing i'm aware of except the wording perhaps but you could find the same in latest M10 manuals i guess.