Customer satisfaction survey Leica M11 owners (May 2023)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, DadDadDaddyo said:

Since we're referencing fantasy tech we'd like to see, I made a (probably) goofball request in that last open comment field on the survey. 

I said I'd like to see the Beyer filter instantiated digitally, not physically, to enable a camera that can "switch gears" between using a pure monochrome sensor or applying a Beyer filter matrix to the shot.

In effect, this is asking for a method to "re-mosaic" rather than de-mosaic. 

Sensor are inherently monochrome to begin with. Instead of having to re-convert to mono, why not come up with a method to convert to color, in-camera, so as to retain the advantages afforded by a monochromatic sensor with no Beyer filter?

Anyway, that's what I put in that comment field....

That is quite an interesting idea - my only concern is overcoming the hurdle of a monochrome sensor seeing  virtually in color through a digital Beyer filter in order to demosaic.

Anyway definitely a worthwhile topic fora another thread!

I agree.  There should be an option to indicate that you do not use a particular function.  I don't think that Leica is doing itself any favours by giving a "score" to people who are engaged enough to respond to their survey request.  At 16.7%, I feel tlhat I have failed the Leica exam and should look elsewhere for my next camera.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As someone aware of the possibility for calls for public participation or feedback to result in unintended results - Hello Boaty McBoatface! (google it if unsure) - I'm surprised the survey wasn't somehow restricted to existing M11 owners to make it a viable resource.

I don't have an M11 but got multiple links from various feeds asking me to complete the survey - so should I have been randomly asking for:  

a different shutter open/close/open "dance", less resolution /  more resolution, a built-in evf / a built-in  ovf diopter / a flippy-out screen / or maybe no screen / a matrix meter / a traditional off-the-shutter meter / a brass/titanium/stainless steel/black-painted/silver-chromed/black-chromed body, a faux wind-on lever, etc etc??

6 hours ago, NigelG said:

As someone aware of the possibility for calls for public participation or feedback to result in unintended results - Hello Boaty McBoatface! (google it if unsure) - I'm surprised the survey wasn't somehow restricted to existing M11 owners to make it a viable resource.

I don't have an M11 but got multiple links from various feeds asking me to complete the survey - so should I have been randomly asking for:  

a different shutter open/close/open "dance", less resolution /  more resolution, a built-in evf / a built-in  ovf diopter / a flippy-out screen / or maybe no screen / a matrix meter / a traditional off-the-shutter meter / a brass/titanium/stainless steel/black-painted/silver-chromed/black-chromed body, a faux wind-on lever, etc etc??

It would make more sense to ask Leica users why they haven't bought the M11 ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, apbphoto said:

My main issue, as a working photographer, is that Leica service and quality control are IMHO the worst in the business.

There is another, possibly even worse... MS Optics by Miyazaki-san. See the quote here.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, Steve Ash said:

Agree 100%. The only thing that holds me back is start-up time.

M11 has received a few firmware updates since, but was initially measured about 2.3 seconds startup time. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had an m11 few weeks ago coming from an M 240. The difference is really surprising in term of color resolution but more than the previous the latitude of exposure where the dark area can become very well visible with light room much more than with m240

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2023 at 4:03 PM, LBJ2 said:

M11 has received a few firmware updates since, but was initially measured about 2.3 seconds startup time. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is still too slow .. yesterday I missed an excellent shot .. 

Die Oberlehrer aus Wetzlar verteilen Noten anstatt dankbar zu sein, dass wir auf den Hype des roten Punktes immer noch reinfallen. Ich freue mich auf meine Z8. (Hatte übrigens 43kommairgendwas, was immer das bedeuten mag.)

vor 44 Minuten schrieb MyLeicaWorld:

It is still too slow .. yesterday I missed an excellent shot .. 

That's right, it takes far too long for the camera to be ready to go. But the M11 has such a good battery and power management that you can safely set it to 30 min standby. Then you never miss a shot.

• Like 3

Generally I’ve found it a good camera. 

One thing I asked for in the survey is to alter the behaviour so that if I set it to “Profile A” then that’s where it is even if I remove and replace the battery. 

Why make it revert to default every time?!

1 hour ago, Kiwimac said:

[...] One thing I asked for in the survey is to alter the behaviour so that if I set it to “Profile A” then that’s where it is even if I remove and replace the battery.

Changing any data of a user profile, without changing the profile itself, makes that the camera doesn't comply with that profile anymore, so it reverts to the default profile accordingly. I suppose that you changed a data of the “Profile A” (camera setting? coded or uncoded lens?), in your case, since in my own experience, at least, a battery removal alone is not enough to revert to the default profile per se.

4 hours ago, lct said:

Changing any data of a user profile, without changing the profile itself, makes that the camera doesn't comply with that profile anymore, so it reverts to the default profile accordingly. I suppose that you changed a data of the “Profile A” (camera setting? coded or uncoded lens?), in your case, since in my own experience, at least, a battery removal alone is not enough to revert to the default profile per se.

I can't think of anything - I do not change much. I might turn live view on and off or maybe ISO from Auto to a specific setting or vice versa but I rarely change anything else.

Perhaps a better way would be to allow the user to define what. the default profile actually is. At least that way it would return to pretty much where you want it and I can't see it being very hard to do either - just add "set as default profile?" to any of the other profiles.

5 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

Perhaps a better way would be to allow the user to define what. the default profile actually is. At least that way it would return to pretty much where you want it and I can't see it being very hard to do either - just add "set as default profile?" to any of the other profiles.

One may wish to create a custom "default profile bis", called this way or otherwise, but w/o a proper default profile, we would have to do a camera reset each time we want to return to the default settings of the camera.

6 hours ago, lct said:

One may wish to create a custom "default profile bis", called this way or otherwise, but w/o a proper default profile, we would have to do a camera reset each time we want to return to the default settings of the camera.

True but then if 'default' is my default, I would never want to return to any other default...

On 8/24/2023 at 3:36 AM, Kiwimac said:

Generally I’ve found it a good camera. 

One thing I asked for in the survey is to alter the behaviour so that if I set it to “Profile A” then that’s where it is even if I remove and replace the battery. 

I haven’t found this to be the case. I just checked to be sure by selecting one of my user profiles, switching the camera off, removing the battery and counting up to 10 seconds before reinserting and switching the camera back on. It was still on the selected user profile. I then dialled in some EV adjustment  -1 stop) that isn’t saved as part of the profile I selected and repeated the process. When switched back on, the same profile was used and the temporary -1 stop EV was still dialled in. All this was done with a Leica coded lens so I then repeated with a Voigtlander non-coded lens. Same result. 

I can only think that my profile settings are such that it isn’t prompting the problem you are experiencing.