What is your single-lens dream setup for a new Leica M11 user?

LeicaNewbieMA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have all the combos I need , 21,24,28,35,50,75,90 

Best 2 lens set up I find the 28-50 Summilux combo on M11  

light days I go with the 24 Elamr -50 Summicron 

another nice combo is the 35-75 Summilux  

but if only one lens I take the 35 Summilux 

If I am traveling I take all 7 lenses with me then pick through them as needed 

((((. I can imagine one day it would be great if we can get a 24-70 mm M mount Zoom lens Manual focus F2 ... Probably they can make it quite compact will probably cost 20K but that would replace 35K worth of Leica glass. ))))

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Santos said:

Tri-Elmar MATE is my go to. Since I got my 3 Focal Lengths and a 40mm Focal 40cm Minimum Focus Macro Between the 28 and 50 (Better than you would expect for Portraits but you loose Infinity Focus, I did not check but I think it goes to around 1.5 Meters Max). 

But if its a Readily Available Lens id say 50 Nocti Classic, or maybe the 35 Apo, or 28 Lux.... Aaand that's why I like the Tri-Elmar I'm indecisive :p . 

Edit: All Leica Lenses are Beautiful just go with any. The M11 is a Beautiful Camera (Except for the Lizard People Color Raws) that works with any Lens (Except the 90 Collapsible I think, but I did not test it yet). 

Edit 2: Doesn't have to be expensive. My first Lens is a brass 90 Elmarit I use to this day and was my only Lens with an MD for 6 Years.  

It works fine with the collapsible 90mm f4 Elmar - I tried it out in the shop before buying one as its on my list of lenses I want to get someday 

• Thanks 1

I would have said 28mm but you mentioned you liked 50mm a lot. I'm a 50mm shooter really but recently have been absolutely loving 28mm. I think for me it would have to be 28mm overall, especially for kids as you'll get less blur and more context which for memories is better I think. If you like longer then you can't go wrong with 35mm but yeah, actually I'd still say 28mm overall (then get a 50mm later on for a perfect setup). :D

Edited by Henners
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ianforber said:

It works fine with the collapsible 90mm f4 Elmar - I tried it out in the shop before buying one as its on my list of lenses I want to get someday 

The Macro-Elmar 90/4 works fine on the M11 but i have not tried my old collapsible Elmar 90/4 with it yet. I would not collapse it on the body anyway.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:00 PM, lct said:

The Macro-Elmar 90/4 works fine on the M11 but i have not tried my old collapsible Elmar 90/4 with it yet. I would not collapse it on the body anyway.

Lets do it for Science!

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dream lens? It depends for what and what is your existing lens line up.

If it should be the first and may be the only one and if you do not need high speed

> APO 50 or APO 35 depending on what is your activity: in my case 35

> if high speed is mandatory: LUX 50 CF our LUX 35 CF 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say 35 mm lux (that's what I have at the moment) but as I meanwhile prefer a very compact / lightweight set up (learned to love lighter weight when I got the M11 as compared to M10 body weight) I might go for a summicron, maybe a vintage one as they are even lighter than the latest! 

But still finding myself whether 35 or 50. If in doubt I take both ;) 

28mm and 50mm is what I've ended up with after shooting as a pro for over 10 years (weddings/commercial) and having owned loads of lenses because of GAS. :D I no longer shoot as a pro so this is my final personal travel/documentary/everything setup.

The combo below for me is near perfect, the only addition would be something longer for the very rare times I want the extra reach. The issue is that the times I've wanted longer is so small that it's not worth me carrying the lens around so I just stick with 28 and 50 and am 96% happy. 

My final setup is:

Leica M11
Voigtlander 28mm ultron ii.
Summicron 50mm.

Voigtlander 50mm f1.0 Nokton (because I wanted that dreamy bokeh look for the occasional portrait).

Light labs FlashQ20II

All fits inside a Peak Design everyday sling 3L. I take out the Voigtlander 50mm for a slightly lighter setup and that also gives space for my Dirtywave M8 :P

I also own a Ricoh GR3 (approx 28mm) and Ricoh GR3x (approx 40mm) for when the Leica is too bulky or my wife uses them while I shoot with the Leica.

Hope that helps in some way for your choices. I always think 50mm is the focal length for my soul but recently the 28 is what I mostly shoot with so now I don't know what I am.

If I could only have one lens I would really struggle and I'm not sure if I'd end up with 28, 35 or 50. There is no right answer, just a compromise. For a young family maybe the 28 as there will be less chance of motion blur and you can fit in more context for your photos which will be nice in 10 years when you look back.

Edited by Henners

11 hours ago, Henners said:

28mm and 50mm is what I've ended up with after shooting as a pro for over 10 years (weddings/commercial) and having owned loads of lenses because of GAS. :D I no longer shoot as a pro so this is my final personal travel/documentary/everything setup.

The combo below for me is near perfect, the only addition would be something longer for the very rare times I want the extra reach. The issue is that the times I've wanted longer is so small that it's not worth me carrying the lens around so I just stick with 28 and 50 and am 96% happy. 

My final setup is:

Leica M11
Voigtlander 28mm ultron ii.
Summicron 50mm.

Voigtlander 50mm f1.0 Nokton (because I wanted that dreamy bokeh look for the occasional portrait).

Light labs FlashQ20II

All fits inside a Peak Design everyday sling 3L. I take out the Voigtlander 50mm for a slightly lighter setup and that also gives space for my Dirtywave M8 :P

I also own a Ricoh GR3 (approx 28mm) and Ricoh GR3x (approx 40mm) for when the Leica is too bulky or my wife uses them while I shoot with the Leica.

Hope that helps in some way for your choices. I always think 50mm is the focal length for my soul but recently the 28 is what I mostly shoot with so now I don't know what I am.

If I could only have one lens I would really struggle and I'm not sure if I'd end up with 28, 35 or 50. There is no right answer, just a compromise. For a young family maybe the 28 as there will be less chance of motion blur and you can fit in more context for your photos which will be nice in 10 years when you look back.

I thought that was an M8 🤣😂 super cool dirtywave m8 though!

• Haha 1

With today's sensor resolution and if super creamy bokeh is not too important to the OP, I'd go with a 28mm. The story-teller focal length. You get enough into a frame to show environment and surroundings, yet you can get pretty close to the subject / object. It's my one-lens setup and no need to change anything for all sorts of photography styles.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 6:36 AM, Jeremy Bunting said:

I’ve had a hard time leaving the house with anything but the 50 noct f.95. 

Its size and weight are greatly exaggerated. Only downside for me is the 1M MFD. 

same and completely agree about the 1m MFD also.

Good question- Difficult answer.    Like you, I am a new Leica M11 shooter- and I went with ONE LENS. For now: the 35 1.4 Lux ASPH FLE-II.  No regrets.  I will use this lens exclusively to learn the RF and zone focus techniques before deciding on second (and third) lenses.  Good luck-  Can't go wrong!

On 8/7/2023 at 3:37 AM, THEME said:

With today's sensor resolution and if super creamy bokeh is not too important to the OP, I'd go with a 28mm. The story-teller focal length. You get enough into a frame to show environment and surroundings, yet you can get pretty close to the subject / object. It's my one-lens setup and no need to change anything for all sorts of photography styles.

Or just buy a Q3 😂