How has the M11 influenced your lens choices

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the M11M's incredible low light capabilities, I don't have a need for fast (and often larger) lenses so I mostly use compact 50 and 35mms lenses such as the 50 Summarit and 35 Summicron v4.  Both of these are compact and light weight and pare well with the M11M's lighter aluminum body.   My 50 Lux is reserved for my MP where the extra stop is needed, and I only use it on the M11M if I want the shallow depth of field or its specific lens characteristics.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Am 15.1.2024 um 20:56 schrieb PaulJohn:

With the huge cropping potential of the M11, have your lens choices changed. Do you now carry fewer lenses or different focal lengths?

I sometimes leave the 50 at home when I carry the 35APO, high resolution sensor with very sharp/detail lens does indeed allow some cropping.

I try to avoid cropping, so no change of lens choice. I‘d challenge people claiming to reduce themselves by a fixed focal length and than cropping into the pic like with a zoom. But that’s only my 2ct and whatever works best for people to get good results.

I have a "self full" of M lens' , Someone once said never sell a Leica lens. With the M11,  I carry fewer lens Locally one or two. I have come to believe that I am in charge , so I crop when I think I should. (which is often) Usually a bit off the top or bottom so the image looks better on my Mac Studio screen.

While I'm at it , Has anyone tried the Voigtlander 40 1.2 , what an interesting lens. I like it but have noticed the colours are a bit warmer than Leica , however my wife (wise women) said yes but it was very over cast this morning ??

Any comments on the Voigtlander 40 1.2 ?

I don't consider cropping in my lens choice really, but the improved live view features on the M11 has made me enjoy using wider + longer lenses, as well as vintage lenses a lot more. Being able to see and utilise flare and highlight blooming via the Visoflex is a lot of fun with those old lenses. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Leslie22:

I have a "self full" of M lens' , Someone once said never sell a Leica lens. With the M11,  I carry fewer lens Locally one or two. I have come to believe that I am in charge , so I crop when I think I should. (which is often) Usually a bit off the top or bottom so the image looks better on my Mac Studio screen.

While I'm at it , Has anyone tried the Voigtlander 40 1.2 , what an interesting lens. I like it but have noticed the colours are a bit warmer than Leica , however my wife (wise women) said yes but it was very over cast this morning ??

No warmer colours than my other Leica lenses (Summicron 50, Summilux 35, Elmarit 28) in my experience. In my opinion, the Voigtländer 1.2 is a very capable lens and I love the 40 mm focal length.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:12 AM, Leslie22 said:

I have the Voigt 40/1.2 and love it! 40mm is very comfortable for me, and it seems to deliver superb quality. I can't comment on the colour though as I mainly use it on a Monochrom. Another forum member - @Knightspirit I think, please forgive me I am wrong - recently got one and has clearly been having fun and posting some superb shots with it. 

Slightly off topic but a simple obersavation of myself concerning camera & lens choices: Since I own the combination of M10-R (40 MP Resolution) and Apo-Summicron 35 (Max. IQ) I’m pretty stuck to this duo.

Even if my personal Lightroom statistics can't be objective for many reasons, you can clearly see that sensor resolution (and thus the possibility of cropping) in combination with the optical performance of the Apo-35 have clearly moved me away from a balance between 35mm and 50mm towards 35mm. I even use 28mm less.

I'm already thinking about saying goodbye to some lenses. My personal Leica preferences have never been so clear. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS: Yes, I'm thinking about buying an M11-P. 😁

Edited by RF’sDelight
  • Like 1