Anyone interested...

rob_x2004

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I think that would be fun, everyone could upload one photo they liked from the previous month then we could tear them apart (kidding):)

What format?

Would you have a B&W October thread that would close or become defunct then start a B&W November thread?

Possibly just have a 'perpetual B&W film thread'.

Also how would you police the one image per calendar month?

Interesting idea, that would I think be beneficial to the forum and it's members.

Regards

Mark

Photo Utopia

Excellent idea, Rob. I will help you in any way I can.

I would suggest that the threads are closed after each month. Have a look at the "Little Shadow Thread" and see how long it takes to load now that there are hundreds of entries.

You would probably get say twenty starters. Announce topics for say, the next quarter. Submit a week to closing.

Keep the topics simple and maybe a bit lame so you have to think a bit to get something innovative.

I think the topics should be easy to comply with, but allow those to excell. No point having a topic like "camels at the pyramids at dusk"

Maybe put 200k files on a blog, large thumbs here for easy browse, and which you open for critique at the months end. You sort of need a mechanism for critique at the image here though.

I think this is a great idea. While there are a lot of pictures that get posted to support various discussions, I think it's fair to say the overall quality is quite mixed. I would welcome a showcase for strong photography in this forum -- a place for people to post images that are worthy of some form of discussion.

I'm pretty new to this forum but have been a little disappointed that there are far more discussions about equipment than there ever are about pictures. Something to redress the balance would be perfect. :)

Any reason why a thread on here wouldn't work?

Seems to be a bit complicated to set up an outside blog to do it, although each image could then have its own comments "attached". an externally linked location is going to take a lot more managing.

People who contribute need to understand that they may get comments that are not all complimentary, though... ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

yes, you are right andy. comments, friendly ones as well as helpful improvement hints, are best when they're attached to the pictures. otherwise it would be difficult to follow.

what about the 'berlin one challenge'? is there going to be a discussion-board after the voting? now that there is an extra 'challenge-part' on the luf we could start it right here.

-tim-

WRT the Berlin Challenge, Andreas is looking into a simple way of recording votes via the forum software. If that's not possible, then I will use the old Excel spreadsheet model...

In previous years' Challenges, people have tended not to critique competition entries too much, in the same way that most shots on the Photo forum don't get ripped apart.

One solution to the B&W challenge thing, might be to use Flikr - it's possible to set up private sections on there, so that only invitees can comment, but each image will have its own commenting section. Worth looking into, as it's free :)

Oh yea sorry Andy...I figured it would be a given that it happened in film forum. You have to keep it simple.

Blogg, or Flikr for larger files was a suggestion to placate server space bean counters. Though I still think the files in here need to be small enough to allow easy browsing.

If you are critiquing an image it isnt a comparative process. Merits and weaknesses within the frame should allow you to say the image is, or isnt, evocative, inovative, well composed, exectued and presented and is worth first place anywhere even if it doesnt suit my tastes and I dont particularly like it...

Some of the most expedient learning experiences are when someone can rationally and sensibly demonstrate your shortcomings. Sure, a brilliant mind might be able to tell you what you are doing right..but you are already doing that, so how to move forward.

I guess the motivation behind something like this would be skills growth or a shake up. After all you can still image spam over at photo forum.

There are enough guys in here really know their onions. I just want to pick their brains.

WRT the Berlin Challenge, Andreas is looking into a simple way of recording votes via the forum software. If that's not possible, then I will use the old Excel spreadsheet model...

In previous years' Challenges, people have tended not to critique competition entries too much, in the same way that most shots on the Photo forum don't get ripped apart.

One solution to the B&W challenge thing, might be to use Flikr - it's possible to set up private sections on there, so that only invitees can comment, but each image will have its own commenting section. Worth looking into, as it's free :)

Just a point about Flickr though, Andy - which is that not everyone wants to use it. I have a personal objection to the service based on its terms of use and protection of photographer's rights, for which reason I don't post anything to it. You may be familiar with recent publicity regarding unauthorised commercial use of images, and current law suits in the US.

Just a point about Flickr though, Andy - which is that not everyone wants to use it. I have a personal objection to the service based on its terms of use and protection of photographer's rights, for which reason I don't post anything to it. You may be familiar with recent publicity regarding unauthorised commercial use of images, and current law suits in the US.

Hmmm. I wont use flickr. Here please or I am out.

• 5 weeks later...