Black paint on the new M6

mechs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

What is the difference between the black paint on the the 2022 M6 and the MP, other than the matte/shiny designation?

Will the M6 brass the same way as the MP? I don’t have a preference one way or the other but am curious how differently the finishes will age with regular use.

Cheers

I’m not sure what the above reply is about but I clearly state in my question that I’m wondering about how differently the finishes will age with regular use. Not sure what artificial brassing or any of that YouTube-inspired nonsense has to do with it.

Edited by mechs
  • Like 1

For me the M6 finish seems to be similar (and reportedly is) to the M11 which is very durable (my M11 does not show any signs of use yet, have it for half a year). But, it is not as grippy as the M11! It feels more like the M10(P). 

And that is the main difference to the MP I think. It won't brass as easy as the MP! For the MP it feels as if the paint can just be wiped off (on purpose) to make it brass - of course, exaggerated, don't get me wrong ;) 

RE the actual topic, how durable the finish in day-to-day use is I cannot provide a proper answer as I only have it for 4 weeks ca. 

Edited by Jewl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mechs said:

I’m not sure what the above reply is about but I clearly state in my question that I’m wondering about how differently the finishes will age with regular use. Not sure what artificial brassing or any of that YouTube-inspired nonsense has to do with it.

I'm afraid it's the nature of the forum at present. People (including a small number who appear to feel they have to comment on every single thread) wade in without properly reading the original question.  

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to Andrea Pacella, Leica director of global marketing and communications in interview, the finish is the same black matte lacquer used on the M11.  He says it is "incredibly scratch resistant', which some will see as a challenge. This is substantially different to the black paint on the Leica MP. I should add there has been a huge semantic argument on LUF on whether a lacquer is a paint. The camera uses the same leather as the M11, so this allows you to make a matching pair. This is in interview with Hugh Brownstone of three blind men and an elephant at 19:47 in the video on YT.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, williamj said:

This is substantially different to the black paint on the Leica MP. I should add there has been a huge semantic argument on LUF on whether a lacquer is a paint. 

You mean like when the MP was released and the finish was described as 'lacquer' (lackieren) and some people thought it was Asian black lacquer based on shellac? They were convinced it would wipe off and many words were written and Leica roundly mocked from the Nikon and Canon fraternity. Of course 'lacquer' or lackieren is just another name for paint and using the word to describe paint is not new. When automobiles were paint in nitro-cellulose paint Fender the guitar maker used Ford colours and automobile paints to finish their guitars, Stratocaster's and Telecaster's etc., and these were called 'lacquer' finishes. When Leica introduced the M9 the finish was now described as 'black paint', but it was powder coated paint/plastic, so not sprayed on wet, and derivatives of this are what are used today, the finish can be very thin which avoids a chip spreading but tough at the same time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 250swb said:

You mean like when the MP was released and the finish was described as 'lacquer' (lackieren) and some people thought it was Asian black lacquer based on shellac? They were convinced it would wipe off and many words were written and Leica roundly mocked from the Nikon and Canon fraternity. Of course 'lacquer' or lackieren is just another name for paint and using the word to describe paint is not new. When automobiles were paint in nitro-cellulose paint Fender the guitar maker used Ford colours and automobile paints to finish their guitars, Stratocaster's and Telecaster's etc., and these were called 'lacquer' finishes. When Leica introduced the M9 the finish was now described as 'black paint', but it was powder coated paint/plastic, so not sprayed on wet, and derivatives of this are what are used today, the finish can be very thin which avoids a chip spreading but tough at the same time.

Thank you, I was unaware of the full history of the paint and lacquer semantic argument. I was just referring to the most recent incarnation, which equated the finish of the new M6 to that of the MP because they were both paints because lacquers are paints and Leica Store websites were used as evidence that the M6 finish was a paint because it was described as such on the website. It is possible some people were just stirring the pot. But as the Castrol advert said, Oils ain't oils and there is a huge diversity of finishes that are called paints and lacquers, some of which you so usefully described :). So that there is no misunderstanding, by semantic argument I mean an argument about the words used as labels for things, not the things themselves. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, 19and9 said:

Will you rub a smooth thigh of a beautiful lady or a 200 grain sandpaper? I don’t know about you but I will go for the thigh.

so gloss finish will brass quicker than matte because you rub it more 

no, the gloss finish will brass quicker because it was designed to wear quicker.  Leica deliberately made it less durable.

4 minutes ago, 19and9 said:

I respectfully disagree

From Leica’s site:

https://leicacamerausa.com/photography/cameras-by-type/finish/premium-finish/black-paint/

M6:

”..enhanced with an abrasion-resistant black lacquer.”

MP:

”After years of hard use, when a bit of bright brass begins to show through, it’s a sure sign to savvy photographers that the camera and its owner have shared many memorable experiences.”

"After years of hard use, when a bit of brass begins to show....." (my underlining) and that's the definition of 'designed to wear quicker'? The first Leica M to have a powder coated paint finish (similar to the new M6) was the M9 in 2009, so unless they had a time machine to go into the future the only option in 2002 would seem to have been to use ordinary paint. A similar excuse was used by Ford when asked why they built a Model T in 1908 and not a Mustang. Yes, the 2002 MP will wear quicker than the new plastic coated version, but to continue blaming them for it is like (and here's another analogy coming up) a guitarist turning down a Fender Custom Shop full lacquer paint Telecaster to have a 'made in Mexico' version because the paint is harder.

The MP was the first production run Leica in many years to have a black paint finish, and the only comparisons at the time were examples of old M3 and M2 and M4 BP cameras which many sceptical people pointed to and asked 'do you want your expensive camera to look like this', hence Leica's guarded approach to warning about wear. 

I’ve owned my MP for about 3 years but not using it on daily basis. I’ve gone through about 40 rolls of film. I dont have a case or bag, put the camera in any bag I feel like carry that day. I’ve only seen some brassing on the advance lever. There are some minor dents and marks on other places which shows the brass, but they are not as “organic” as “brassing”. I think it’ll brass less in the future as I can hardly afford film today and I have an M11 now  

I also had an M10 for a few years, never saw the shining brass under the black coating, though the coating has worn thinner (shows a shinier dark grey color) over the years. It’s quite ugly compare to the sexy brassing on the MP. When I sold the M10, they are called “signs of use”. 

I have a black M11 now. It will never brass as it’s aluminum. I feel the coating is stronger than M10 and MP. But I believe it’ll show signs of use sooner or later. But it’s digital, it’ll go down in value anyway. 

24 minutes ago, tjxism said:

I’ve owned my MP for about 3 years but not using it on daily basis. I’ve gone through about 40 rolls of film. I dont have a case or bag, put the camera in any bag I feel like carry that day. I’ve only seen some brassing on the advance lever. There are some minor dents and marks on other places which shows the brass, but they are not as “organic” as “brassing”. I think it’ll brass less in the future as I can hardly afford film today and I have an M11 now  

I also had an M10 for a few years, never saw the shining brass under the black coating, though the coating has worn thinner (shows a shinier dark grey color) over the years. It’s quite ugly compare to the sexy brassing on the MP. When I sold the M10, they are called “signs of use”. 

I have a black M11 now. It will never brass as it’s aluminum. I feel the coating is stronger than M10 and MP. But I believe it’ll show signs of use sooner or later. But it’s digital, it’ll go down in value anyway. 

M11 is aluminium, good God almighty! 

Yes, Analogue Digital ⬇️⬇️⬇️ but film

Sorry for being off topic

43 minutes ago, tjxism said:

The grey colour is the nickel plate between the Black Chrome and the Brass top plate.

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

Only the Black Paint top plate is aluminium, the chrome M11 top plate is brass.

Even though I have no intention of ‘shelling out’ for an M11, the aluminium top plate seals it!

Admittedly the choice of aluminium is easier to stomach than the rather inappropriate use of zinc. (I have an M6 and it’s going to a ‘zinc lover’ somewhere when I get round to posting it.) Leica M demands brass top and bottom.

49 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Even though I have no intention of ‘shelling out’ for an M11, the aluminium top plate seals it!

Admittedly the choice of aluminium is easier to stomach than the rather inappropriate use of zinc. (I have an M6 and it’s going to a ‘zinc lover’ somewhere when I get round to posting it.) Leica M demands brass top and bottom.

I think the use of aluminium makes perfect sense as it great reduces the weight without compromising strength (after all the rest of the camera is aluminium). As to zinc, it proved perfectly suited at the time (before CNC brass was available) and, in spite of the many scare stories on this forum, the cases of zinc bubbling was fairly rare out of the many M4-P, M6 and M6TTL cameras produced (well over 140,000), probably far less than 0.05%

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

$9000 buys a lot of film 😉

Lol. True if counting pennies. But shooting film also requires: faith in a good developer (color); dealing with the x-rays machines at the airport; unstable supply of a certain film stock. The last straw was that I failed to properly load one of film on my first trip abroad after locking down for 3 years… 

I enjoy shooting film very much. Now I’ll shooting B&W only and develop myself as a niche(er) hobby. Plus I’ve just sent in my MP to fix the scratch issue and there will be a few months before I can get it back😅.

Only a month into digital I'm already missing the butter smooth advance lever… my right thumb keeps fumbling before each shot. 

Edited by tjxism
  • Like 1