M11 freeze issues [Merged]

mrmalo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, MikeMike88 said:

Yes in that in order to get the correct frame lines I chose the appropriate lens profile from the list provided in camera. 

You mean the profile you chose was for the same focal length as that of your lens i guess. If not, i would choose a profile for the same focal length.

1 hour ago, MikeMike88 said:

The listed Leica profile was the same as the lens i am using . 

So you chose a Leica profile for the same focal length as that of your Zeiss lens, a 35/2 lens for instance. Your lens is not hand coded i suppose. Do you see that focal length ("2/35mm" in my example) on the screen of the camera when you press the info button?

On 7/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, hdmesa said:

On the latest firmware 1.4.0, I've been getting lockups but only on power-off –> The spinning red arrows come up on the screen, and I have to remove the battery. Happens about 1/20 times I power-off the camera. Seems to happen more often on sessions where I am trying to quickly review images after taking the shot by hitting the Play button immediately, which sometimes causes a delay ("Please wait..." message on the screen).

even is you shoot to internal memory?

4 hours ago, MikeMike88 said:

[...] On screen i do see the lens information in my case 1.4 50mm . You mention hand coded is there a place to buy coupling plates that are either pre coded or with the indices in the correct place ready for a DIY coding,? I figure with all the other hacks out there that maybe this is an option. Would heat have anything to do with the m11 freezing up ? This kinda thing hasn’t happened with any other camera system I’ve used so its odd to spend such money on what is repudiated to be such a premium brand and have any issues at all. [...]

Your lens must be a Sonnar 50/1.5 i guess. Works fine on my M11 but my sample is hand coded. I am not aware of pre coded flanges for it but if your copy if not too old, you will find a recessed area on the flange of the lens for hand coding. As for freezing issues i have got none so far but your lens seems to be recognized normally by the camera so i don't think it can be the culprit.

8 hours ago, MikeMike88 said:

...Would heat have anything to do with the m11 freezing up ? This kinda thing hasn’t happened with any other camera system I’ve used so its odd to spend such money on what is repudiated to be such a premium brand and have any issues at all. 

Doubtful. If you want heat, you should have been an early adopter of the Canon R5. My X100V got very hot sometimes. My M11 only gets warm, and that's when using Live View on the rear LCD in 98 degree heat in direct sun (Live View using the Visoflex 2 doesn't get as warm).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, mrmalo said:

I've seen the same M11 Facebook group @fotofool 

Some of the people there suggested reporting the glitch via the Leica Fotos app which I've done. Not sure if that was the best idea. I've also sent an email to Leica France, so lets see what they say. I'm a mere fish in a small pond!

The Leica Fotos app is a great way to communicate.  I have used it on a number of occasions and always gotten responses… Definitely use it!

• Like 1

It's easy to reproduce the bug by using the built in intervalometer. I encountered it when trying to do timelapses this way. After a couple hundred frames or so, the M11 will lock up and require removal of the battery to reset it. A huge pain if you're using it with a tripod since you have to remove the tripod adapter as well. Right now the M11 is unusable for shooting timelapses if there's a chance of lockup. I'm back to using my Fuji for this, what a shame.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:25 PM, SrMi said:

No bottom plate means a much faster battery removal and reinsertion when the camera locks up 😁.

something like a tactical reload... ;) :D 

Nikola

On 7/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, mosh1 said:

It's easy to reproduce the bug by using the built in intervalometer. I encountered it when trying to do timelapses this way. After a couple hundred frames or so, the M11 will lock up and require removal of the battery to reset it. A huge pain if you're using it with a tripod since you have to remove the tripod adapter as well. Right now the M11 is unusable for shooting timelapses if there's a chance of lockup. I'm back to using my Fuji for this, what a shame.

the Grip with Arca-swiss mount can help

On 7/15/2022 at 9:00 AM, Photoworks said:

the Grip with Arca-swiss mount can help

Good point, it'd help in quickly removing the battery but doesn't help much in ruining a timelapse... hopefully Leica can get this issue fixed quickly.

9 hours ago, mosh1 said:

Good point, it'd help in quickly removing the battery but doesn't help much in ruining a timelapse... hopefully Leica can get this issue fixed quickly.

for sure...
I would email Leica support and mention the issue so that you can have it in your next firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had multiple freezings yesterday when trying to photograph a shy cat, i put the shutter to electronic and used liveview so I could try to get focus right without having to move my camera to my head (any movement would scare her and cause to hide again). It's interesting because the only other time I've had a freeze like this in the past months was with the older firmware.

Normally I don't really use liveview much luckily, but I definitely missed some good shots now. Because liveview still showed a live feed of what was happening but it was not reacting to any button presses or power off. With the electronic shutter being silent I didn't actually notice it wasn't responding/taking pictures until it was too late.

Next time cat, next time.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:48 AM, MikeMike88 said:

Mine just froze twice in fifteen minutes. I just got this camera a week ago and today was the first time i took a photo walk. All updated , using a zeiss lens , live view 400 iso 250ss so nothing to outta wack . Wondering if i should try and return and just get a m10 r . 

Spot Metering?

Level Gauge?

all the best

2 hours ago, maxpower said:

I actually had multiple freezings yesterday when trying to photograph a shy cat, i put the shutter to electronic and used liveview so I could try to get focus right without having to move my camera to my head (any movement would scare her and cause to hide again). It's interesting because the only other time I've had a freeze like this in the past months was with the older firmware.

Normally I don't really use liveview much luckily, but I definitely missed some good shots now. Because liveview still showed a live feed of what was happening but it was not reacting to any button presses or power off. With the electronic shutter being silent I didn't actually notice it wasn't responding/taking pictures until it was too late.

May i ask what SD card you were using? Just curious as the only issue i got was with a Sony card. No problem with Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s (64 & 256gb) on my M11 # 5594*** at least.

8 minutes ago, lct said:

May i ask what SD card you were using? Just curious as the only issue i got was with a Sony card. No problem with Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s (64 & 256gb) on my M11 # 5594*** at least.

Sure I have a ProGrade 128GB 300MB/s read 250MB/s write SDXC UHS-II card

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lct said:

Interesting, which sony sdcard did you use? I’m using UHS II 299mb/s read and write at the moment, so far so good

46 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Interesting, which sony sdcard did you use? I’m using UHS II 299mb/s read and write at the moment, so far so good

Tough 277mb/s (64gb)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, maxpower said:

I have notice that too. but it a bug in the LCD touch function.  I was touching the LCD with my nose and it would not shoot, then I distant my face from the camera and it works again.

Not sure if it is the same, but they told me it will be addressed in the next firmware.

15 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I have notice that too. but it a bug in the LCD touch function.  I was touching the LCD with my nose and it would not shoot, then I distant my face from the camera and it works again.

Not sure if it is the same, but they told me it will be addressed in the next firmware.

while reading this, i was trying to trigger it with my own nose... i mean, which situation would require you to use your nose? thought i use RF and the liveview is off