Pentax is working on new film cameras

Simone_DF

18 minutes ago, lmans said:

The price would have to be between $1000-1500. And, people would buy it as that is a lot more doable than Leica at $5500. 

IIRC I paid about £240 for my MX and 50/1.4 in 1979, which would be around £1200 in todays GBP, or around US$1450. Your figures look about right🙂.

I have no interest in rumours or advanced news that somebody is working on product 'x'. If you have a new product, just come out and tell us what it is, how much, when and where I can buy it. All this nonsense about creating some kind of mystery, or testing the waters or whatever has gotten 'old'. That's especially true for Leica who teases and launches but then fail to have stock. 

• Like 1

Well, they have started the discussion and might pick up some ideas how such a camera could look like, although this place here is probably too specialized to find their interest.

In case I'm wrong - the original Olympus XA is still a brilliant concept, very compact, high-quality lens, integrated lens cap, rangefinder. In case mine dies, I would be interested in a replacement. I used to take it everywhere for some time.

Stefan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

I have no interest in rumours or advanced news that somebody is working on product 'x'. If you have a new product, just come out and tell us what it is, how much, when and where I can buy it. All this nonsense about creating some kind of mystery, or testing the waters or whatever has gotten 'old'. That's especially true for Leica who teases and launches but then fail to have stock. 

To me…. Everything about what you said is solid marketing. And… no one does it better in than Leica in the camera world. 😀

23 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

You never heard of the word “marketing” I suppose. Issuing an advanced teaser is a good way for Pentax to generate interest, assess potential sales, get feedback (“how are people reacting?”, “is there interest?”, “what features are in demand?” Etc). 
On top of that, it’s free advertising. Magically everyone is talking about Pentax today. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm aware of the marketing value of their approach - it's due to a lack of confidence on their part, they really aren't sure if they want to do it, what the product should look like like and who their customers will be. It's typical of a company trying to cash in on past glories. This means they'll drag their feet waiting for their anxiety to decrease, they'll not take a bold step but choose a safe option, no innovation. The same lack of confidence will severely limit how much inventory they will commit to, how much liability they'll sign up to with their supply chain and then if it's successful there will be severe shortages and delays. In short, it'll be like the new M6. 

By contrast, look at a company that is confident that they know what to produce, who will buy it and are investing in innovation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

I'm aware of the marketing value of their approach - it's due to a lack of confidence on their part, they really aren't sure if they want to do it, what the product should look like like and who their customers will be. It's typical of a company trying to cash in on past glories. This means they'll drag their feet waiting for their anxiety to decrease, they'll not take a bold step but choose a safe option, no innovation. The same lack of confidence will severely limit how much inventory they will commit to, how much liability they'll sign up to with their supply chain and then if it's successful there will be severe shortages and delays. In short, it'll be like the new M6. 

By contrast, look at a company that is confident that they know what to produce, who will buy it and are investing in innovation.

Again… I see no problem…. Good marketing. They are testing a pretty unknown buyers market and it makes sense to go in a bit tentatively. 

Leica on the M6 kept that pretty quiet other than the rumor mill on ‘some camera.’I am not in the market for a new M6, but feel having to ‘wait’ / limited numbers etc is again, ok. Leica as a camera company is not large and has had as standard practice thru the years on multiple products;  this waiting process. Their clientele accept it, so why change what works.

As another example… look at Tesla… their product is in demand but the consumer still has a waiting period while it is built. Their clientele accept it. 

Many high end products have clientele who wait for their product instead of assembly line model T’s. 

I guess then, I'm not their normal clientele as I don't like their style at all. I doubt Leica behaved this way back in the day when the M3 and M2 were being sold. To date, I find I prefer to buy all my Leica gear used, it's available as and when I want to buy it, no pretentious marketing gimmicks. I've spend $000's but not a nickel of it went to Leica directly.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, espelt said:

Nice. Pentax was my first real camera. Still works fine. If it stays with the PK connection - there are a lot of interesting lenses.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Still use my MX, amazing no frills camera with a great selection of lenses to compliment it.

• Like 1

It will be interesting if they just bring in a new MX. I feel that would be a real smart marketing/ sale move. At my local camera store the MX style camera , or Minolta xlt or Canon AE-1 have big Retro draws. Perhaps Pentax has kept the specs, part molds etc so the new model would have the R&R already done, saving a ton of $. 

The Pentax MX is a camera that pulled me away from Leica for a few years. I loved the feel of the camera in use - size like a IIIf, all controls where I expected them, nice, sensitive meter and wide range of decent lenses. But with time more and more plastic crept into the lens mechanicals, and it lost the precision feel. The old Pentax H1-H3 series and Super Takumar lenses were dated, but very well made - just too expensive to make.

How long will it take to it market ? 1 year ? 2 years ? More ?

Sadly they are not even sure to make it or not. They are just testing the water. 

They want to make a compact camera first. I really love GR III and IIIx. Making a film version would a no brainer for many of us. But they seem to want to launch a Pentax compact instead. 
Please make a brand new GR1 6th.