I Love My M6!

I love my M6, but I also love my M2. Is it wrong to post a shot of both of them together?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Right way round.

• Like 4

For a moment there I thought you had 2off 35 summilux asph. I was glad to notice the same serial number on the lenses, for my envy you understand. Perhaps the other lens is 50 summilux asph?

I think you love your M2 more? Let me guess B&W in M2 & colour in M6.

Lincoln

Other lens is a 28 'cron. And yes, these days it's colour in the M6, B&W in the M2. I'm very attached to the M6, since it's gone everywhere with me these past 17 years.

Not had the M2 that long, but it's growing on me. It's a thing of beauty, and splendidly made. But there's a purposeful feel to the M6, with its tough steel gears. It's never once let me down, and some of my favourite shots have been taken with it.

Best regards,

Colin

• Like 1

I'm not the world's greatest expert on Leica Ms, but I always believed that all M cameras (until the mid-seventies), including M2, M3, and M4 (and I think M5), were all brass machines, including the internal geartrains. Stronger steel gears were introduced to cope with the advent of motor drives.

I've just consulted google, and there's a fair bit of information which would seem to confirm this.

Edited by colint544

Apologies. I somehow equated double winding in the early M3 to brass gears. Steel gears were in fact introduced not with the M2 but rather later.

"The change from brass to steel for some gears made the M4-2 suitable for the motorwinder (which I personally would never recommend) and the steel makes for more durable components." From

How to choose M

My view is that among M Leicas, the M2 is the leanest, meanest picture taking machine.

M6TTl with 90mm Elmarit-M

• Like 5

"The change from brass to steel for some gears made the M4-2 suitable for the motorwinder (which I personally would never recommend) and the steel makes for more durable components."

fwiw, there is a big difference between the earlier M4-2 era motorwinder and the current motorwinder. The old one had a lot more torque and could stress the gears. But the new one (Leica Motor-M (Winder) 14408 B&H Photo Video) is quite benign by comparison. DAG and any good Leica tech will modify early brass gear Ms to work with the current motorwinder. The older one was also quite large and cumbersome and w/o the grip (plus the camera would easily tip over if set down.)

I believe this is what Puts was referring to, and not the current motorwinder. I personally find the current one to be worthwhile in photojournalism type work (documentary.)

Here's the original motorwinder on the M4-2 with a comparison to the current 14408 model on the M6:

• Like 4

"DAG and any good Leica tech will modify early brass gear Ms to work with the current motorwinder."

I take it that this would not include replacing brass gears with steel ones.

He changes it over to the M4/6 rapid loading system and installs the motor coupling. He can change over to steel gears too, if that's what a customer requests. But apparently he feels that the current motorwinder poses no problems and doesn't have enough torque to create any issues. And if brass gears ever do fail, that's an easier repair then the mess that could be created if steel gears failed (whether using a winder or not.)

I use the current 14408 motorwinder as a rapid winder (single frame advance) and rarely as a continuous advance. It advances the film and cocks the shutter mechanically and probably with less force and a lot more evenly than somebody trying to do it rapidly by hand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 10

A great camera! It's my first Leica which I purchased by a local dealer.

I was going to buy a Fuji X Pro, but they got this nice M6TTL 0,85 from a Leica collector and I couldn't resist my desire. :D

Edited by LiveLeicaLike
smaller picture
  • Like 10