SL2 + 24-70 lens

Genoweffa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am considering 24-70 for my SL2 so can utilize its video+hi-speed shooting (SL2+MC-21 conv. prohibits that)

Known NA seller has a special deal on Panasonic Pro 24-70.

Is it worth it vs. original Leica?

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Genoweffa

After making quite a bit of research, and speaking with my Leica dealer, who also carries Sigma, Panasonic and other stuff, I chjose to go with the Leica 24-70. Since you. Are in Ontario, you could contact them for advice or purchase. The dealer is camtec photo in Montreal, speak with. Jean Bardaji, or Emmanuel. 
send me a private note if you have questions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

After making quite a bit of research, and speaking with my Leica dealer, who also carries Sigma, Panasonic and other stuff, I chjose to go with the Leica 24-70. Since you. Are in Ontario, you could contact them for advice or purchase. The dealer is camtec photo in Montreal, speak with. Jean Bardaji, or Emmanuel. 
send me a private note if you have questions. 

Thanks for the reply.

I acquired 2 Leicas recently plus accessories and there is more to come.....none of them are from Camtec who is adamant about selling @ msrp...so, why would I contact them again?? 

27 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

Good for you to find a seller that sells for less. I still find dealing with them to be worth much more than just the purchase cost of equipment. 

Are you naive or something?...if I can save USD$1000+ either from USA or Europe I am not going to get sentimental about Camtec, am I?

In the US Leica is having customer appreciation coupons until the end of December. However, I am not sure if it includes this lens. 
I would absolutely buy the Leica 24-70. The image Quality is identifiable as Leica. Here’s how I know …..After spending all quarter working on my masters degree in photography, one of my classmates, whom I did not know had the only images that stood out with beautiful image quality, superb color, etc. and so finally I asked her, “are you shooting with the Leica 24-90?” And she said “no for this series I used the 24-70” and I thought well I’m getting one of those! I didn’t even know she was using a Leica! Just guessed.

I mean as a professional that’s interested enough to continue with post graduate education in photography, and starting with film in the 70’s I have really developed my eye. To me most digital photography looks the same. Of course medium format had more dynamic range but with the newer bsi sensors that gap is closing…. But Leica lenses absolutely do stand out among the rest. Whether it’s the coatings, the optical formulas, or the lenses that are made from German glass….They have discernible characteristics, they really do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Genoweffa said:

Are you naive or something?...if I can save USD$1000+ either from USA or Europe I am not going to get sentimental about Camtec, am I?

Maybe.  However, if the $2895 in your post is in US dollars, it translated to about $3900 Canadian, which is just above the listed price at Camtec or any other authorized dealer in Canada.

8 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

Maybe.  However, if the $2895 in your post is in US dollars, it translated to about $3900 Canadian, which is just above the listed price at Camtec or any other authorized dealer in Canada.

Are in a business of selling photo eq? ie.volunteer Camtec pusher?

I thank you for all your input.

My main question is : Panasonic is way less expensive than Leica...ie. for that extra $ will I see the image difference? 

See from about the 40 minute mark.  The Panasonic 24-70 was ruled out of the comparison due to size (similar to Leica 24-90) and performance. They determined that the Leica had a slight edge in performance over the Sigma, and was much better in build quality.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

By and large, authorized Leica dealers do not particularly compete on price, and I am sure that they each have developed a particular expertise and reputation. In Canad it could be Vistek ot Photocreative, or…, in the USA maybe Miami Leica, etc.

As to the Panasonic vs Leica, I have no idea about that.

When I got my SL2-S I got the 24-70 in addition to the 35 APO mainly for the size and low-light capability.  For what I'm using it for, the focal length is fine, and the image quality is outstanding.  It was hard to decide between that and the 24-90, but the cost difference helped in the decision.  You can second guess yourself until the cows come home, but I'm happy with the 24-70.  Had I gone with the 24-90 I might be second guessing that one too.  

I guess my one saving grace is that I have the 35 APO and can always shoot in multi-shot mode if I need something a little extra.  

I have used (but not extensively) the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, the Sigma 28-70 f2.8, the Panasonic 24-70 f2.8, the Leica 24-70, and the Leica 24-90 and here are my non-scientific findings:

As someone who puts a premium on size and weight, I ultimately ended up with the Sigma 28-70. It's a great lightweight lens and even though I sacrifice a little at the wide angle end, and perhaps a little in terms of pure image quality (mostly things that can be corrected in lightroom) that trade-off is worth it.

All the rest feel basically "heavy" to me, and despite the stats, none seem particularly heavier than others. If I worked on a tripod more often, I would go for the Leica 24-90, as it is extremely versatile and regardless of which lens, you are basically carrying something big and heavy (relatively speaking) so you might as well go for it.

Other miscellaneous thoughts:

I liked the "clutch" manual focus system of the Panasonic but the performance to size/weight was the issue with this one.

I believe the image quality of the Sigma 24-70 was almost the same (and I mean really almost the same) as the Leica 24-70, so there it becomes a question of taste - do you like the minimalist rugged quality of the Leica or the more plastic/metal/rubber combo feel of the Sigma. I could not tell a difference in image quality between the two of these, but I did shoot a used copy of the Sigma 24-70 and it was already falling apart (literally) so if my choice was between the two, based solely on my personal experience with the two, I would go for the Leica hands down. If you don't need the focus range limiter or the programable button on the lens, then I would say there are times to save money but the difference between the Leica and the Sigma in this particular case is not one of those times. Get the Leica.

For me personally, I love the Sigma 28-70 but I have toyed with getting the Leica 24-90 as an ADDITION to the kit. One for a relatively lighter kit and one for the times that weather is the primary force and I want to avoid swapping lenses and want weather sealing. Here would be my ranking: 

1a. Sigma 28-70 for standing out in terms of size and weight
1b. Leica 24-90 for versatility in focal length, image quality and build quality
1c. Leica 24-70 for best overall 24-70 that is actually a focal length of 24-70 in terms of build quality, handling etc..,
2. Sigma 24-70 for someone who really wants that 24-70 but cannot for whatever reason justify the extra cost of the Leica version
3. Panasonic 24-70 for someone who values seamless swapping between manual and auto focus modes and likes a tactile feel in that process. Otherwise, choose one of the others above.

• Like 2

This is a Leica forum, so consider that for what it's worth. I sold my Panasonic 24-70 f2.8 and should've kept it. It's not small, but neither are the Leicas. If portability is most important to you, I would recommend the Sigma Art as others here have. Otherwise, consider mine a vote for the Panasonic. I have owned the Leica 24-90, but not the Leica 24-70. I loved the colors that Panasonic lens and the 24-90 produced. If I didn't care at all about money, I'd take the 24-90. For a huge cost savings, I love the Panasonic. 

• Like 1