Woe is Me..........

Topsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So here I was with 3 M9s in various conditions from everyday beater to pristine like new (all with certified 2nd gen replaced sensors). The other day I was sorting my kit from a a landscape photo trip but also had my M9s on the sofa. I dropped my tripod and it landed with the knurled lock knob straight on to my pristine M9 and not only dented it but threw out the vertical alignment (I won't know about focus until the weather lets me focus at infinity to test it). I'm so angry at my own clumsiness but at least the damage was only superficial and fortunately (credit to this Forum and the advice one can get from it) I can do the adjustmtnes myself. I'm just cheesed off that it had to hit the most pristine one not my daily carry which is already dented.

Here are before and aftyer photos.

Before.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After.

12 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

This accident meaning is "this M9 will never been sold".

Sorry for this accident though.

Thanks @a.noctilux just to be clear though it was never going to be sold anyway nor the other 2 I love the M9 and all my 3 have the 2nd gen sensors so I expect to get long life from them, barring accidents of course:-  Note to self Don't be clumsy in future.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

The worst thing which can happen to a camera is that it is not used and doesnt see the light.

If I was a camera I would rather be one beaten here and then, vs a camera not used.

Take it as patina.

I agree but I'd feel better if I'd dinged it in the field rather than clumsily dropping the tripod on it in my living room. On the up side no need to baby it anymore. 👍

• Like 4

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Topsy:

I agree but I'd feel better if I'd dinged it in the field rather than clumsily dropping the tripod on it in my living room. On the up side no need to baby it anymore. 👍

I understand, but things like this happen. Maybe a small hint to do some things with less time pressure and in a relaxed way. (I learned the hard way that it is not a good idea to run up stairs, even if time is short)

• Thanks 1

Accidents are always stupid things.

Learning the hard way is something I didn't regret (only when it occured) as it would be "first and last" occurance.

My regretted last accident (not Leica related) was when mounting "with care" an expensive (relatively for me) phono cartridge Hana SL on a headshell.

The fragile cantilever in aluminium collapsed (I didn't even know how possible ! ), and the "new" cartridge is of course useless.

Happy not throwing it away, as some months later, my hifi dealer took it as trade-in for new Hana SL minus 20% of the cost.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 6:02 AM, Topsy said:

Well, there is not necessarily a reason to speak of a sofa incident when one could reinvent a more fantastic tale. Perhaps the damage was caused by an attack by very angry woodpecker, and your M9 saved you from being savaged by said woodpecker. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom Johnston said:

Condolences of course. What about a new or used top plate…I Imagine there are some still available. Not sure what that would be very cost effective…

A nice idea Tom but I think cost prohibitive, whilst I can adjust the focus and vertical alignments I'd not be keen to strip and replace the top plate. Anyway, my other 2 have patina from use so this one is now no different, I just feel lucky that the damage was repairable and I'll gat used to the sosmatic change. My own fault so as long as it remains useable the dent will remind me to be more careful.

• Like 3

One on my M9s has a fairly bad dent. I've got used to and would probably actually find it slightly disconcerting if I got it repaired (which I won't because the cost of a replacement top plate is far too high anyway to simply get rid of a dent) and it no longer looked like it does. Equipment which is used gets wear and tear for many reasons. I really wouldn't worry about it providing it works ok.

• Like 2