Prepping Images to Upload and Upload Woes

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Forum Members,

Any feedback most welcomed on a perplexing issue. I export my images from LR as per the required image dimensions and file size (2480 on longest side and 2 MB or less). Sometimes the images upload successfully, and other times an image just flat out refuses to upload, despite meeting all requirements. Extremely frustrating. Anyone else experience this and find the work-around? Note I am not new to this and used to post here extremely frequently but took a long hiatus. I'm eager to participate more frequently, but don't ever remember uploading being an issue five or so years ago.

Cheers for any advice that might be provided,

Jeff

My usual web usage, sharing and low res distribution of Leica M10-R jpegs from my DNGs is 1512x1000 (I always keep the shorter side of the image at 1000 pixels and vary the longer one according to different cameras). Plenty good for web, small enough to prevent enlarging too much.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is what Jaap wrote in a previous posting.

"In Photoshop, flatten your image, set Mode to RGB, resize to 2480 pixels [on the long side], sharpen if needed, edit - convert to profile sRGB and save as jpg and adjust compression ("quality" - mostly 10 or 11)."

I understand the maximum image size to be .49 mb.  I also believe the maximum message to be 1 mb for non-sponsoring members and 2 mb for sponsoring members.

I follow this to the letter and have never had an upload failure.

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

You need to upload smaller images. You wrote 2480, I think it must be max 2048 (or was it just a typo?). But do try to upload 1800 or 1500 on the wider side, many of us here do.

The official forum guidance is 2480 with no limit on MB[EDIT].

How to upload images: Prepare the image as follows: 1.   The image should be sRGB and 8-bits 2.   Reduce the size to 2480 pixels on the longest side. (smaller sizes can be set, but are not recommended) 3.   Sharpen properly for screen. 4.   Save as JPG to your desktop...

Edit. I have just found the FULL original guidance:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/303026-leica-q2-images-post-them-here/?do=findComment&comment=3974391

...which gives a limit of 2Mb for non paying members and 5Mb for paying members.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The official forum guidance is 2480 with no limit on MB[EDIT].

Edit. I have just found the FULL original guidance:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/303026-leica-q2-images-post-them-here/?do=findComment&comment=3974391

...which gives a limit of 2Mb for non paying members and 5Mb for paying members.

Exactly what I have been following.2 MB, 2480 on the long side. Its hit and miss, mostly miss!!!!

Yup, saw that. I've tried smaller files (in pixels and MB) and it makes no difference. There is something fundamentally wrong with the Upload function of this website to be so erratic. Too bad, because really wanted to participate, but with it being this much of a headache, not really worth it. Thanks to all that tried to help out, much appreciated.

I always thought 2480 was a typo and it should be 2048. Many web sites can accommodate larger images nowadays like Flickr can, but the old limit on Flickr was 2048 on the longest edge because that was the norm.

Edited by 250swb

• 2 weeks later...

So just follow the instructions you see at the top of most the image threads precisely and it should work. If you don't know how to resize an image in postprocessing, there are plenty of image resizers available online, both for Windows and Mac

• 5 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 9:28 PM, jplomley said:

Dear Forum Members,

Any feedback most welcomed on a perplexing issue. I export my images from LR as per the required image dimensions and file size (2480 on longest side and 2 MB or less). Sometimes the images upload successfully, and other times an image just flat out refuses to upload, despite meeting all requirements. Extremely frustrating. Anyone else experience this and find the work-around? Note I am not new to this and used to post here extremely frequently but took a long hiatus. I'm eager to participate more frequently, but don't ever remember uploading being an issue five or so years ago.

Cheers for any advice that might be provided,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Since recently, I have got exactly the same problem. About 1 photo out of ten is impossible to upload. 

Have you solved the problem?

Thanks

I've had problems somewhat as described.  I'd load an image into a reply and then delete the image.  I'd then load a different image and click submit and the post would not upload.  It's like the system deleted the first file but then was not recognizing it deleted the first file.  At that point I close out of Safari, go back to the thread and click on reply.  I get a message that the system save a draft reply and asks if I want to use it.  I answer no and then things go smoothly.