Would you buy an SL 135 f 2 apo summicron?

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would you buy an SL 135 f 2 apo summicron?
I’m guessing it would use the same barrel size and components from the SL 50 1.4… for economy of build components sharing.  

I could really use this lens.  I don’t really want the sigma.  I’d also love a 180 f2 apo summicron but understand it would be quite expensive… would rather have the af and weatherproofing with new designs vs the R versions.

Robb

• Like 3

Zeiss makes an unbelievably good 135/2 in Nikon mount that is easily adapted.  Cheap to buy (Leica standards applied), manual focus,  large and heavy.  I use mine with M and SL adapters, both dumb (M) and electronic (SL) with the pins covered, so they're both dumb.  The EF version might allow some automation of the aperture with the right adapter.  

• Like 4

I have so far shied away from the 75 and 90 APO Summicrons since they fall into the range of the very good 24-90, and I just picked up the R 80-200 f4, so I think a 135 f2 would fit nicely into my kit to give me a fast medium telephoto with AF. Would definitely consider it if it was available!

• Like 1

I would probably, in the past I loved the Canon 135 f2, now I occasionally use the Sigma. Not my favourite lens and the size makes it stay at home. Same for the  SL50 f1.4, really love it but because of the size I usually take the SL75 f2.

• Like 1

In an certain sense, there already is one. The 120mm APO Macro Summarit S. It is a 2.5 lenses that is extremely sharp wide open. It is as sharp as the APO Summicrons in my experience, at least at anything but 2.5. It operates perfectly and has AF on the SL cameras if you have the S adapter, and both the adapter and lens are weather sealed. Though the lens is not cheap, nor the adapter, they would likely be a lot cheaper than a native 135mm SL.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, hdmesa said:

For me, it would need to be either a 1:1 macro or a character-based APO like the Zeiss Classic and Milvus 135 f/2.

I'd love that, but not going to happen. One of the strengths of the SL APO line is that they pretty much are identical in their rendering. I'd expect a possible 135 APO to render the same as the rest of the line.

• Like 1

Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG DN is in the pipeline, if it is anything like the EF version it should be great.
For Leica it is probably not a priority right now, as there might not be enough demand for it, and it would be expensive to design and manufacture, since cannot share parts with other lenses.

3 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I'd love that, but not going to happen. One of the strengths of the SL APO line is that they pretty much are identical in their rendering. I'd expect a possible 135 APO to render the same as the rest of the line.

I agree but perhaps the telephoto compression of 135mm would have a similar effect on the rendering. One can dream :)

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

I doubt it. For most controlled photography with the SL2-S (portraits, stage rehearsals where I can get in among the performers) I use the 24-90 or Summicron 75/90. If I have to stand off (action scenes), or shoot from the back of the auditorium in live performances, then I use the 90-280, and I would miss the versatility and range if I used a 135 instead. The extra 1-2 stops would be attractive in low light, I agree, but I think I would not use it enough to justify it.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 1:19 AM, darylgo said:

Zeiss makes an unbelievably good 135/2 in Nikon mount that is easily adapted.  Cheap to buy (Leica standards applied), manual focus,  large and heavy.  I use mine with M and SL adapters, both dumb (M) and electronic (SL) with the pins covered, so they're both dumb.  The EF version might allow some automation of the aperture with the right adapter.  

Can only confirm this - great lens!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, padam said:

Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG DN is in the pipeline, if it is anything like the EF version it should be great.
For Leica it is probably not a priority right now, as there might not be enough demand for it, and it would be expensive to design and manufacture, since cannot share parts with other lenses.

Would it be any different compared to 135 f1/1.8 DG HSM Art L-mount?

Clearly not, they are all different...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1