Purchasing a used Leica M10 and warranty lengths

Joe S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy M film cameras through the years . 

I purchased a new M8 back in the day and after its IR issues followed by its coffee stained sensors came to the conclusion that Leica was not yet ready for the digital age.   Then the M9 came along with it's sensor issues.   I have read recent posts regarding the M10 and issues of shutter problems.  

I have recently considering trying a used Leica M10 and given the past track records, I would like to at least have a decent warranty.  I have found used Leica digital camera warranty lengths in the US to be all over the place.  Strangely enough, one of shortest, if not tied for the shortest is the online Leica Store which offers only a paltry 30 day warranty!    This does not seem to show much confidence in the product!   Especially for a manufacturer known for very expensive repair work and the only game in town. 

I would be interested in hearing reliability experiences with the M10 and any helpful warranty recommendations.

I’ve had no issues with my M10, and don’t plan any future replacements. The M9 was the first digital camera I really liked, so I spent my retirement bonus to get one. After 7 years with no problems I found a trace of corrosion on the sensor glass, and Leica replaced the sensor board free, even though long out of warranty. I’ve never needed a warranty claim on a camera or lens in my 50+ years of photography, so a warranty is not a concern for me when I purchase.

Also considering that the M10 isn’t being sold as new, that doesn’t surprise me.  I highly doubt you’ll find lengthy warranties for them anymore.  The M10 was my first Leica and I’d consider it very reliable, even with a dead pixel row on the sensor.  Leica USA was able to send me a custom firmware file that mapped out the dead row and it shot clean afterwards.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Store in Switzerland gives 1 year warranty on used equipment, including the 5 years old CLA'd M10 I recently bought. So it is not really about Leica not having faith in the reliability of it's product, it is probably more about lesser expectations by US customers and dealers taking advantage of it.

I would like to think that Leica has faith in the reliability their product but my point is that a 30 day warranty seems to indicate otherwise.   I don't understand where they gain by taking advantage of naive US consumers, if in fact that is true.  If the camera lasts a year the cost of a one year warranty verses a one month warranty is identical and costs them nothing.  

44 minutes ago, yanidel said:

Leica Store in Switzerland gives 1 year warranty on used equipment, including the 5 years old CLA'd M10 I recently bought. So it is not really about Leica not having faith in the reliability of it's product, it is probably more about lesser expectations by US customers and dealers taking advantage of it.

Leica Miami will often provide extended warranties on used gear following servicing  from either Leica (typical 1 yr) or DAG (typical 6 mo), which they routinely do prior to sale.  Their prices might be higher, but so are their trade-in values.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, Joe S said:

I would like to think that Leica has faith in the reliability their product but my point is that a 30 day warranty seems to indicate otherwise.   I don't understand where they gain by taking advantage of naive US consumers, if in fact that is true.  If the camera lasts a year the cost of a one year warranty verses a one month warranty is identical and costs them nothing.  

Naive was not exactly the term I implied. I meant customer expectations in one country could be one year warranty  because that's common business practice on a large array of products. While in the US, customers are accustomed that it is really up to every individual business to set its conditions, and they should negotiate or pay for extra warranty. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joe S said:

Here is a discussion on this site. 

"M 10 R black paint shutter button failure ?"

M10-R Black paint shutter BUTTON problems and shutter CURTAIN failure aren't the same thing 

Also M10 and M10-R aren't the same thing either 

People on the Internet complain loud and frequently about problems, a browse through the m10 forum here will indicate typical problems that people can experience 

Eyecup falling off and ISO 100 is a lie I think about covers it

Whatever you decide, buy the seller and all should be grand

Edited by Adam Bonn

The M10 that I purchased new, in April 2018, has been reliable. I was unreliable, and dropped the M10, so, it needed repair. This M10 has been reliable since the repair. (A neoprene wrap protected the exterior, but internal damage was substantial.)

My second M10, that I purchased pre-owned, while my first M10 was down, has been reliable. (I was afraid that I had “totaled” my first M10, and, wanting to immediately “get back onto the horse that threw me,” bought a back-up/reserve M camera, though I have forgotten whether it was this second M10, or the pre-owned M Type 246 Monochrom, that I acquired soon after “The Fall.”) If I recall correctly, Houston Camera Exchange, the official Leica dealer nearest me, offered a 30-Day warranty on this pre-owned M10, when I bought it. I was not disturbed by the brevity of the 30-Day warranty.

Other than one Canadian you-tuber, Generic Photographer, who stated that his early M10 had to be sent away for shutter repair, I am unaware of any specific individual user reports of an “issue” with M10 shutters. The M10-R Black Paint shutter issue has been discussed, in this forum, but, as Adam Bonn’s reply already indicated, an M10-R is not the same product as the M10. To be more specific, the M10-R has a different shutter than an M10. The much-heralded quieter shutter appeared in the M10-P, the M10-R was introduced later,, and the Black Paint M10-R arrived even more recently. 

• Like 1

Not trying to be inflammatory, but damn you guys across the pond get some measly warranties…*

but it’s only relevant if you need it and speaking as someone who’s (only?) owned 6 M lens and 3 three M bodies, all of which I got secondhand (I’m on a budget here), the only time I had a problem was the one time I didn’t buy from an official store! 

*the take away here I think is that it’s not Leica standing/not standing by it’s products, but more various markets/retailers managing customer expectations and underwriting risk

My personal insurance covers everything important outside of warranty, including situations arising from my own stupidity, and including loss or theft.  Not very expensive, relative to my overall photo costs.  DAG also handles repairs better  than Leica NJ in my experience, both quality and cost-wise. Even on small warranty repairs, I’d be more inclined to use him than use NJ service.

Jeff

Personal insurance, good or bad, is a different subject than the warranties we are discussing here.    DAG is a fine repairman that I have used and recommend highly for mechanical film cameras but I don't believe these digital cameras are his thing.    Any real problems with them need to go to Leica, which is why I am interested in a decent warranty.

3 hours ago, Joe S said:

Personal insurance, good or bad, is a different subject than the warranties we are discussing here.    DAG is a fine repairman that I have used and recommend highly for mechanical film cameras but I don't believe these digital cameras are his thing.    Any real problems with them need to go to Leica, which is why I am interested in a decent warranty.

You’ve received guidance on both, including reputable dealers with extended warranties.  Good insurance covers situations that a warranty does not.

Jeff

On 10/9/2022 at 1:03 PM, Adam Bonn said:

Not trying to be inflammatory, but damn you guys across the pond get some measly warranties…*

but it’s only relevant if you need it and speaking as someone who’s (only?) owned 6 M lens and 3 three M bodies, all of which I got secondhand (I’m on a budget here), the only time I had a problem was the one time I didn’t buy from an official store! 

*the take away here I think is that it’s not Leica standing/not standing by it’s products, but more various markets/retailers managing customer expectations and underwriting risk

In thinking about this, I cannot blame Leica for not issuing a blanket warranty on every used camera or lens that comes up for sale at a Leica store.  How are they supposed to know what they are warranting??  The camera or lens could be mint, or it could have concealed damage.

Most reliable camera retailers in the U.S. will inspect used cameras and/or lenses and offer some sort of warranty.  Used Photo Pro offers a one year warranty on items that are mint through fair condition. 

Come to think of it, I bought a used house and it didn't come with a warranty, either. 😳