New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, haikos said:

What's interesting about this rumoured film camera is that normally, the usual spotters keep an eye on patent/wifi/bluetooth registrations and certifications which turn a rumour into an imminent release of a new model. The fact that this rumoured one has no connectivity, removes the possibility of showing up on the usual radars and thus, shrouded in a bit more mystery than usual.

Sometimes companies set up special websites to launch new products - perhaps we should run a search to see if Leica has registered nozincthistime.com, itsanmpreally.com or allourfilmcamerasarebasicallythesamesanyway.com?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Sometimes companies set up special websites to launch new products - perhaps we should run a search to see if Leica has registered nozincthistime.com, itsanmpreally.com or allourfilmcamerasarebasicallythesamesanyway.com?

Hmm, I heard you can find it on hipstersonly.com

• Like 1

Ok, it is real and it is coming.  How do I know?  I spoke to a Leica shop - who I will not name to protect their innocence - and they said they could not speak about it because it is still under embargo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huss said:

Ok, it is real and it is coming.  How do I know?  I spoke to a Leica shop - who I will not name to protect their innocence - and they said they could not speak about it because it is still under embargo.

Hopefully, it won't be like waiting three years to get a Bentley only to have it end up at the bottom of the Atlantic.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Huss said:

I wonder if the anticipation is causing the slight surge in number of M6 and TTL's for sale right now. Are we expecting a drastic drop in M6 prices?

10 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

I wonder if the anticipation is causing the slight surge in number of M6 and TTL's for sale right now. Are we expecting a drastic drop in M6 prices?

drastic drop prices ?

the difference is in availability :

- second hand M are available now

- new M would take some time to deliver to customers

- in near future, I don't think "drastic drop prices" would occur

- two different classes of users, old and new customers/buyers

- I hope I'm wrong though

What possible new features could be added to a film camera? Also, is the light meter in the M6 any good? I'm using an M2 with a KEKS KM02, which allows me to set aperture or shutter priority and gives me a recommended setting for the other, versus making me fiddle with both until I get a green light. I'm not sure what Leica could add that would tempt me, besides maybe faster shutter speeds.

Edited by Jeremy Bunting

14 minutes ago, Huss said:

Does Leica have embargoes on everything it releases?  Limited edition as well as regular production models?  Or only on regular production models?

It may have more to do with the embargo and product restrictions to the U.S. from the EU enacted by the last administration. It's still hard to find some cognac and other products from France and often the prices are considerably higher than before the restrictions were put in place.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

What possible new features could be added to a film camera? Also, is the light meter in the M6 any good? I'm using an M2 with a KEKS KM02, which allows me to set aperture or shutter priority and gives me a recommended setting for the other, versus making me fiddle with both until I get a green light. I'm not sure what Leica could add that would tempt me, besides maybe faster shutter speeds.

The M6 meter is superb.  Semi spot so you know exactly what you are metering.  Two LED arrows that have uneven brightness if you are half a stop off. Super intuitive to use and minimal clutter in the finder. It doesn’t get any better.

However theres no way I would swap a Wetzlar Leica for an M6, you need both :).

I don’t think the new M6 reissue will have any new features, thats not Leica's thing and I wouldn’t want it any other way.  A faster shutter would require a re design of the shutter which is intentionally designed with low spring tension and therefore slower drum speed to provide long term speed stability and easy serviceability.  The fastest you can get with a horizontally traveling shutter is 1/2000 so only one stop difference but it causes other design compromises.   Vertical metal bladed shutters that provide speeds up to 1/4000 are generally not serviceable to the same extent as a horizontal roller blind shutter.

I think the M6 reissue will be priced no lower than $200 cheaper than an MP.  Dreams of a ‘cheap’ new Leica M camera won’t come true.  If I was looking to buy another M camera in todays market it would be an M2 or M3.

• Like 2

What possible new features could be added to a film camera?

Quite a few, but it seems unlikely any of them will be again. It turns out the past was more advanced after all. 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Also, is the light meter in the M6 any good? I'm using an M2 with a KEKS KM02, which allows me to set aperture or shutter priority and gives me a recommended setting for the other, versus making me fiddle with both until I get a green light. I'm not sure what Leica could add that would tempt me, besides maybe faster shutter speeds.

Well, it's a good meter in that it's predictable and accurate. But with the original M6 you don't even get a green light, you have to match the brightness of two red lights. The M6-TTL adds another one in the middle like the MP, an arrangement that might well be retained in any M6 sequel. When you get used to it even the M6 Classic is very easy to use, and certainly quicker than an uncoupled meter. Most M6 shooters won't be starting at random positions on the dials; they'll have some idea of the correct exposure from experience, probably to within a stop or two, and will just use the meter to fine-tune the shutter speed or aperture.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Quite a few, but it seems unlikely any of them will be again. It turns out the past was more advanced after all. 🙂

Well, it's a good meter in that it's predictable and accurate. But with the original M6 you don't even get a green light, you have to match the brightness of two red lights. The M6-TTL adds another one in the middle like the MP, an arrangement that might well be retained in any M6 sequel. When you get used to it even the M6 Classic is very easy to use, and certainly quicker than an uncoupled meter. Most M6 shooters won't be starting at random positions on the dials; they'll have some idea of the correct exposure from experience, probably to within a stop or two, and will just use the meter to fine-tune the shutter speed or aperture.

Yeah, the meter in the MP and M6ttl takes the M6 and improves on it with the extra led dot. instead of trying to match the intensity of two arrows, you just use the single dot.  Either way,  none match the info given the the M5’s viewfinder display!  Not only does it also show shutter speed, but how far you are away from the correct reading by up to four stops!

As you mention, once you start to use a manual exposure camera you quite quickly get to the ball park exposure area before camera comes to eye, and then adjust as needed

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Anbaric:

I think since the superfast 45 field, Eye-controlled Autofocus-system of the Canon EOS 3 there was no real improvement anymore in film cameras.

I had one of those beasts. Nothing came close in speed used with USM- Lenses. Even the digital SLR- bodies had not such an advanced system.

It is so funny that we talk about a middle LED for a simple light meter meter as a huge improvement 🙂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Huss said:

Does Leica have embargoes on everything it releases?  Limited edition as well as regular production models?  Or only on regular production models?

Yes. Their policy is a strict no leaks one. Really really silly in 2022, when the hype sells much, much, much more than the actual mastodon type marketing.

I am 100% sure no M6 will drop in prices. One such awesome educational example of a much anticipated price drop was the release of the Noctilux 50/1.2 when everyone expected the dramatic price reduction of the old model on the second hand market, but lo and behold, absolutely nothing happened. Oh let me correct that, the old model's price rose 10-15%.

Isn't it amazing how youtubers have the power to single-handedly make your dream camera/lens unaffordable? Happened with the M6, will surely happen again.

• Like 1

Below is my thought:

MP is almost same as M6 but with latest electronics 

M-A is same as MP but without electronics 

New film M will be same as M6 but market it as new M 

All above cameras are same but market differently 

However the QC and craftsmanship may not be good as old Leica

• Like 1

6 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Same with the Mamiya 7. The Hipstagram hype has caused used prices to skyrocket. Although the lenses are great, the camera itself is only mediocre...

Too overhyped.. i thought i wanted one to try, after scouting the market, oh well.. mediocre indeed

im amazed the power of influencer.. that’s what they called