New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, hdmesa said:

With all the film marketing Leica has been putting out recently, I'm starting to think we'll get more than one new film camera over the next year or two. I think they may be planning to repurpose the production capacity for the dead APS-C line over to film: 

• M6 Classic re-issue (limited and non-limited models)
  • MP and M-A refresh, perhaps merged into a single model
  • Film CL reissue
  • Film P&S

A CL reinterpretation would bring me back to film.  I’d want it to focus f/1.4 lenses, however. 

They probably got some leftover titanium from the M-A Titanium version, so the new M6 should be titanium : p 

Wonder if this announcement will come in early Oct or late Oct, because I'm quite interested to see how it will indeed fit in the current film camera lineup Leica has. Also, will it be a limited edition? Regular launch? Interesting to see the strategy Leica will take here. If they focus on the $$, limited edition, if they focus on the user, regular edition (probably replacing the MP?).

Maybe it will just be similar to the digital lineup? 

Cheaper edition with red dot (as M10/M11) --> M6

More expensive / premium edition (as M10/M11-P) --> MP/MA (or just MA)

Monochrom version & Safari version for future iterations too? :p 

9 hours ago, graphlex said:

A CL reinterpretation would bring me back to film.  I’d want it to focus f/1.4 lenses, however. 

Why not go big instead of small? In our bizarre mirror universe, colour film is easier to find in 120 than in 35mm . I bet that 'mirrorless medium format prototype' is actually a film camera...

https://leicarumors.com/2022/05/02/is-this-a-leica-s-mirrorless-medium-format-camera-mock-up.aspx/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Why not go big instead of small? In our bizarre mirror universe, colour film is easier to find in 120 than in 35mm . I bet that 'mirrorless medium format prototype' is actually a film camera...

https://leicarumors.com/2022/05/02/is-this-a-leica-s-mirrorless-medium-format-camera-mock-up.aspx/

Leica already offers a 120 camera, with an optical lens to boot.  But there haven't been many takers as people like the traditional Ms more.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Huss said:

Leica already offers a 120 camera, with an optical lens to boot.  But there haven't been many takers as people like the traditional Ms more.

Of course! How did I forget that? And I bet the lens is a serious competitor to their previous benchmark of optical excellence, the Thambar.

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

Of course! How did I forget that? And I bet the lens is a serious competitor to their previous benchmark of optical excellence, the Thambar.

Blasphemy!!!!! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Huss said:

Very limited run of production and collaboration with designer Holga Legend

• Haha 1

Well I see that, according to the latest announcement from Leica Rumors, the new Leica film camera will have a “Leitz” red dot instead of the regular “Leica” logo engraving. This is a tribute to the early M6s.

Now do I sell all my existing Ms and order this new M6? 🤣

5 hours ago, Matlock said:

Well I see that, according to the latest announcement from Leica Rumors, the new Leica film camera will have a “Leitz” red dot instead of the regular “Leica” logo engraving. This is a tribute to the early M6s.

Saw the article as well. It’s rumored as an “M6 reissue” with an estimated price of low $4,000’s less than the MP. Not sure that makes sense for Leica. Why would someone go for the MP or MA if the reissued M6 goes for a $1,000 less. Can’t get any more manual then the MA/MP. Wont add electronics for $1,000 less. Only thing would be cheaper materials (some internal plastic parts?) and made outside Germany. 

With all this rumor mill going at full speed has Leica actually announced or sent out invitations for a specific announcement date (similar to Apple setting an announcement date)? I see rumors everywhere but in talking with a Leica rep in Europe he stated Leica hasn’t announced any set date for release/announcement of a new camera. 

28 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

Saw the article as well. It’s rumored as an “M6 reissue” with an estimated price of low $4,000’s less than the MP. Not sure that makes sense for Leica. Why would someone go for the MP or MA if the reissued M6 goes for a $1,000 less. Can’t get any more manual then the MA/MP. Wont add electronics for $1,000 less. Only thing would be cheaper materials (some internal plastic parts?) and made outside Germany. 

I think this is along the lines I referred to above earlier in the discussion, in summary very faint rumours from those that should be in the know suggested that Leica considered 2 options:

1) an M6 relaunch using cheaper materials and priced under the MP/MA - made in Portugal, assembled in Germany - commercials being to attract used M6 buyers into the fold so UK price of say £3,300 to £3,500 - good used M6's in the £2,500+ range now.

2) A new 'M6 Classic form' camera with additional features over an above the MA/MP - 1/4000 shutter and aperture priority. New finishes etc. I guess an M6/M7/MP hybrid. probably replaces the MP but the MA remains as the traditional 'brass' camera (no meter) styled on the M3. Maybe slightly more expensive than the current MP & MA.

I don't think it reality even Leica rumours really knows which way they've gone and it might be that they actually do both, with say option 1 limited to 2,000 camera's as a final M6 special edition.

Edited by SJH
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

That  'estimated price' is just the guy on Leica Rumors guessing, the same as the rest of us. No price has been leaked.

• LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera