New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

That  'estimated price' is just the guy on Leica Rumors guessing, the same as the rest of us. No price has been leaked.

Correct/agree. Just saying from my POV that price doesn’t make sense unless it’s it’s a cheaper made camera. 

1 minute ago, ejg1890 said:

Correct/agree. Just saying from my POV that price doesn’t make sense unless it’s it’s a cheaper made camera. 

I personally doubt that any change Leica is likely to make would actually make it significantly less expensive for them to manufacture; a few plastic parts wouldn't make much difference. If they did want to sell a camera at a slightly lower price point as a marketing strategy they might, as suggested above, use something like an aluminium alloy top plate rather than brass - not because brass is really that much more expensive, but just because it is perceived as a 'premium' material. This sort of product differentiation, like a 'Made in Portugal' rather than a 'Made in Germany' engraving (though we know a lot of the work would be done in Portugal either way) could be used to 'justify' perhaps a 5-10% difference in price.  But who knows? Any new camera could just as easily be a limited edition sold at a premium if the marketing guys think that would be more profitable.

• Like 1

The biggest thing for me is that Leica Rumors is claiming a limited run of "probably 500". If that's the case, what's the point? They'll get snapped up by collectors, and probably sold out by the time it's announced. So those that want a cheaper new Leica film camera because of its affordability won't actually get one. At 500 pieces it's just a typical limited edition Leica, not something to address the current demand for film cameras.

• Like 2

Remember the last time Leica made a major "cheaper" M mount film camera? It was the Leica (slash Minolta) CL. The year was 1973. So many classic movies hit the big screen that year - The Exorcist, Papillon, Westworld, Soylent Green, American Graffiti, The Sting, Live and let die, Serpico, Mean Streets, The Wicker Man, Enter The Dragon and The Holy Mountain. Killing me softly and Crocodile Rock were on the radio and playing from juke boxes. US Troops were withdrawn from Vietnam. World Trade Center in New York became the tallest building in the world. Life was good.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Remember the last time Leica made a major "cheaper" M mount film camera? It was the Leica (slash Minolta) CL. The year was 1973. So many classic movies hit the big screen that year - The Exorcist, Papillon, Westworld, Soylent Green, American Graffiti, The Sting, Live and let die, Serpico, Mean Streets, The Wicker Man, Enter The Dragon and The Holy Mountain. Killing me softly and Crocodile Rock were on the radio and playing from juke boxes. US Troops were withdrawn from Vietnam. World Trade Center in New York became the tallest building in the world. Life was good.

Yeah, I graduated from high school, the draft ended, was working a good job, bought a brand new Datsun pickup two weeks before the first gas crisis, had two Nikons with FTn finders and life was good. Then came 1974.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 5:56 AM, Casual_photo_enjoyer said:

Also let’s be honest - they Leica hype is only growing and if they have any sense they will be producing cameras faster and quicker than previously if they want to capitalise on the current uptrend. imo. 

I certainly hope they don’t! It will kill the brand if it goes towards mass market.

Take a look at the Patek Phillipe model where production is always strictly limited despite sky rocketing demand. Some of the other swiss watchmakers too.

Leica need to keep focusing on quality and produce for the ‘purist’ photographer / consumer. Not for the masses.

Otherwise it will just become another mass consumer brand that once used to stand for something.

A limited re-release of this dated 2022, however unlikely for Oct given the timeline, would command huge $$$ given recent events.

The Queen loved her M6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 9/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, ejg1890 said:

US price will likely be less than the MP/M-A due to the exchange rate, just like the new 35 Lux is cheaper than the old one here. Everywhere else it will probably be the same price as the current film bodies.

Edited by hdmesa

I may be reading too much into this, but there has been an awful lot of film-related emails/social media posts from Leica and Leica stores over the last several weeks so I'm starting to think that a new film camera may actually be imminent. 

Here's the latest one from the Leica Store San Francisco:

In collaboration with Negative Supply, Leica Store San Francisco is excited to host an upcoming event that will present and demo Negative Supply's current and soon-to-be-released film scanning products. Founded in 2017, Negative Supply products have quickly become the new standard for digitizing film using your existing dedicated camera and macro lens, eliminating the need for slower in-home scanning methods. This event is tailored for all analog photographers, as the Negative Supply product line supports various film formats.

Edited by logan2z

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

In collaboration with Negative Supply, Leica Store San Francisco is excited to host an upcoming event that will present and demo Negative Supply's current and soon-to-be-released film scanning products. Founded in 2017, Negative Supply products have quickly become the new standard for digitizing film using your existing dedicated camera and macro lens, eliminating the need for slower in-home scanning methods. This event is tailored for all analog photographers, as the Negative Supply product line supports various film formats.

With the SF store it may be difficult to gage Leica as a whole. I recently learned the 3 stores in Miami, SOHO (NY) and San Francisco are all privately owned stores; the remaining US Leica stores are company owned. As a result their websites and store sponsored activities are separate from the other Leica stores. 

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I may be reading too much into this, but there has been an awful lot of film-related emails/social media posts from Leica and Leica stores over the last several weeks so I'm starting to think that a new film camera may actually be imminent. 

‘Negative Supply’ is a suitable description of the current market for 35mm colour film!

Edited by andrew01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Mike Rawcs said:

I agree. I presume this is because of an increase in demand.

That and It could still be exacerbated following the close down of manufacturing a couple of years ago and the knock on effects. Last year I was told by 3 brick and mortar shops I frequent, one of which is also a big online presence, that obtaining supplies was very difficult. Even darkroom supplies. One place had 10.000 rollls on back order! 

What's interesting about this rumoured film camera is that normally, the usual spotters keep an eye on patent/wifi/bluetooth registrations and certifications which turn a rumour into an imminent release of a new model. The fact that this rumoured one has no connectivity, removes the possibility of showing up on the usual radars and thus, shrouded in a bit more mystery than usual.

• Like 1

• LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera