New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Too overhyped.. i thought i wanted one to try, after scouting the market, oh well.. mediocre indeed

im amazed the power of influencer.. that’s what they called

Yeah while optically very nice, the build quality is just so plasticky and lacking compared to Hasselblads or Rolleiflexes.

The thing is, pretty much every mf camera I have tried has had great lenses.  Perhaps it also has something to do w the big hunk o film!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huss said:

Yeah while optically very nice, the build quality is just so plasticky

I've flirted with picking up a Fuji 6x9 but its plasticky body is also a turn off.  I'll stick with my Hasselblad 500 C/M, although the Plaubel Makina 67 has piqued my interest...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Same with the Mamiya 7. The Hipstagram hype has caused used prices to skyrocket. Although the lenses are great, the camera itself is only mediocre...

Hmm.. I own way too many cameras. The Mamiya 7 is, as a camera body, my very favorite. The lenses are great, but sometimes too clinically sharp for me. If only I could have a Mamiya 7 with Zeiss glass....So, no, i don't think, relative to other cameras it's overpriced.  Not when a Plaubel Makina 67 with a fixed lens is ~2$k+....

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I've flirted with picking up a Fuji 6x9 but its plasticky body is also a turn off.  I'll stick with my Hasselblad 500 C/M, although the Plaubel Makina 67 has piqued my interest...

The Fuji is a fun camera. And the plastic isn't a problem for me. It just reminds me it's a weatherbeater. And pulling postcard size negatives out of the soup is a real pleasure! Under some conditions, the lens is amazingly sharp. I bought it very cheap, but if you have mad money, the 65mm one is a terrific landscape camera. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I recently sold my Fuji GW 690III. Great results but just not enjoyable to use.  And mine had a perchance for fat rolling the film.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, bags27 said:

Hmm.. I own way too many cameras. The Mamiya 7 is, as a camera body, my very favorite. The lenses are great, but sometimes too clinically sharp for me. If only I could have a Mamiya 7 with Zeiss glass....So, no, i don't think, relative to other cameras it's overpriced.  Not when a Plaubel Makina 67 with a fixed lens is ~2$k+....

But what a fixed lens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Huss said:

Yeah while optically very nice, the build quality is just so plasticky and lacking compared to Hasselblads or Rolleiflexes.

The thing is, pretty much every mf camera I have tried has had great lenses.  Perhaps it also has something to do w the big hunk o film!

Exactly, im sticking with hasselblad for medfor while waiting on the market for rolleiflex

3 hours ago, jakontil said:

Exactly, im sticking with hasselblad for medfor while waiting on the market for rolleiflex

The problem with waiting on the market for the Rolleiflex is that, while prices might weaken a bit with the economy, the number of working cameras will inevitably decrease as well. If one can live with a fixed lens, I think it's the perfect camera. Like a shark, it is designed for one thing and does it perfectly. Plus, people stop you on the sidewalk to admire it. I'm looking at a late f/3.5 Xenotar right now, and doing everything to resist!

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a Mamiya 7ii for a while, loved the output. Super sharp, very compact for a medium format camera. However the body felt like a toy, very fragile, as it cost so much I was constantly worried the slightest knock would crack part of the aged plastic case and remove £500 of value! I sold it out of fear. 

Edit-also it had the least satisfying shutter click ever! 

Edited by Jimmyp82

I owned a Plaubel Makina 67 and also a Fuji GW 690 III. Both great cameras, the Plaubel has been serviced back then at Plaubel Frankfurt, so no issues with broken cables.

The Body was very solid, the lens aboslutely perfect. But I never really liked the 6x7 format so I sold it.

The Fuji was easy to use and felt like a big Leica. But I hardly used it and sold it also. I stick with my Rolleiflexes and 6x6 Format.

They are the best compromise between image quality, size and weight. And I like the 6x6 format very much.

The Schneider Xenar of the Rolleicord Vb is also an exellent lens. A well adjusted Vb is everything you need, as most of the lightmeters of the "better" models

don´t work properly.

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb bags27:

Yes Plaubel is very expensive too. MArket in europe and the US is sometimes different too.
I bought my Mamiya7 in about 2000 new and got it replaced soon within warranty time because of its light leaks. The new i got had a broken counter soon.
I made great pictures with it but with a tape on the back where i had to list the taken shots. ;) I had it repaired again but was not very lucky then. Great pictures but a bit unreliable.
For what i paid for a new camera and what it is asked now used it is too much for me. I sold it as i need some cash 10-12 years ago for much less i could get today.

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

The problem with waiting on the market for the Rolleiflex is that, while prices might weaken a bit with the economy, the number of working cameras will inevitably decrease as well. If one can live with a fixed lens, I think it's the perfect camera. Like a shark, it is designed for one thing and does it perfectly. Plus, people stop you on the sidewalk to admire it. I'm looking at a late f/3.5 Xenotar right now, and doing everything to resist!

You are so right on this, i had the chance with 2.8Gx was in perfect and mint conditions, but i took a little too long now it’s gone, i m always a one lens man despite having variety

well im tempted with some limited editions M6 like dragon, while piling up the budget, i might as well wait for the announcement 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fotoklaus said:

The Schneider Xenar of the Rolleicord Vb is also an exellent lens. A well adjusted Vb is everything you need, as most of the lightmeters of the "better" models don´t work properly.

This is what I have. A mint Vb(ii). A great travel companion because it's so small. It's a no-worry camera with stunning sharpness, so long as I'm reading the light correctly--which, after all, is what we're supposed to do.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, Danner said:

Perhaps the new M would have a shorter minimum focus distance to take e advantage of the newer lenses?

This is THE main reason I have a really hard time justifying purchasing one of the new close focus lenses. This would be a huge game changer if for some way they could figure it out. 

I’d be all in if they could. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, Danner said:

Perhaps the new M would have a shorter minimum focus distance to take e advantage of the newer lenses?

This is very unlikely because it would require a redesign of the rangefinder mechanism. 

The Rolleiflex TLR is the perfect travel camera. I take the M only for long trips when I can’t carry more than 50 rolls of 120. I have had more keepers with a 3.5f and Hasselblad SWC for street. I sold a lot of my film cameras including the SWC when I bought an M10M now with much regret but I kept most of my Rollei’s. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bags27 said:

I recently sold my perfect condition 2.8 E because I saw that these older Rolleiflexes are now susceptible to lens separation.  I kept my much more modern 2.8 GX 60 Jahre, which while it is nowhere near as nicely made, is a better shooter due to the very bright and easy to use focus screen and the built in ttl meter.

1 hour ago, tightsqueez said:

This is THE main reason I have a really hard time justifying purchasing one of the new close focus lenses. This would be a huge game changer if for some way they could figure it out. 

I’d be all in if they could. 

With the digi Ms, live view is the answer.  With film Ms, well the 50 DR had those close focus goggles.  Perhaps Leica could release a new set that would attach via the hotshoe and be lens specific - for the mythical new film M that can focus closer than .7m.

1 hour ago, Huss said:

With the digi Ms, live view is the answer.  With film Ms, well the 50 DR had those close focus goggles.  Perhaps Leica could release a new set that would attach via the hotshoe and be lens specific - for the mythical new film M that can focus closer than .7m.

I guess I'm unusual, but I have never needed to focus closer than the MFD supported by the M rangefinder.  I have to assume it's a relatively common use case for M shooters or Leica wouldn't offer these close focusing lenses, but I can't think of a case in which it would be useful to me. 

• Like 1