Lightroom Corrections - 1.4 Summilux 35

I've found the defaults in LR for the 35/1.4 are still a little under corrected for distortion. Not much under, but noticeable if I have a straight line running along an edge. Correcting more might make some other aspect worse; I tend to like lines near the edge so notice that the most.

Edit: I'm assuming the FLE here. If not, ignore :)

Edited by MrPaulK

8 hours ago, Freddiew83 said:

Hi guys! 

I’ve searched on this and I feel like there hasn’t been a concrete answer. Is the lens correction panel which is checked by default actually needed? Do you guys just leave this on? Seems to do a lot - warping it a ton. Looking for any advice, especially on the 35 1.4

I think the information provided is incomplete.

Are you using a 6bit coded lens?

do you have lens detection on. The camera does tag the lens for correction and Lightroom should pick it up.

No, it is not needed. It is always just a matter of taste. If you think it helps, then use it. If not, do not. It used to be a practice to include certain aberrations in super wide angle lenses that made objects look a bit more natural by the edge of the frame, which could help with people and objects, but it might make straight lines look curved. In general it is always going to be a compromise for wide and super wide lenses, as their field of view is greater than that of the human eye. So it is never going to look "normal". So it is up to the photographer to decide how they want it to look...either make the lines straight, which will make objects at the edges look elongated and "perspective distorted", or to not correct any inherent curvature in the lens, for the cases where it helps with objects or people at the edges of the frame. Most people choose to straighten the lines these days, I would guess.

For archtecture its usefull of course. For landscape there is no need.

Basically the lens has a "built-in" distorsion that this feature corrects. 

My advice: Just leave it on. It does not harm. At least not to see anything in your photographs.