M12 will be more... boring?

setuporg

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

With the 2.0 firmware, when the camera detects you have mounted a Leica lens that has been replaced in the catalogue by a more recent ASPH or APO design, the word 'CHEAPSKATE' will be displayed in the viewfinder in flashing red characters for 90 seconds.

Leica really should put this in the next M12. If for nothing else then just for fun.
It should stay active for few months and then disappear.
At leas for some kind of psi-ops customer investigation for marketing purposes.

But perhaps is this already in work and we just don't know jet.
Some kind of MK Ultra mind control for Leica M photographer,
MK Leica...  Perhaps is this what some of us are able to see and describe as 
Red LED flickering inside of rangefinder real cause of G.A.S That is the reason
why all photographer suffer from this mental disorder. They made us do it...
To counter this you need to put blind fold over the eyes and shoot like that...

This need some deep investigation and I think it all started with introduction of
in-build light-meter. 

In history this will be known as Leicagate but uf course they will deny it like some other 
ones in the past... We live in strange times...

Nikola

Edited by LEGEND
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LEGEND said:

But perhaps is this already in work and we just don't know jet.
Some kind of MK Ultra mind control for Leica M photographer,
MK Leica...  Perhaps is this what some of us are able to see and describe as 
Red LED flickering inside of rangefinder real cause of G.A.S That is the reason
why all photographer suffer from this mental disorder. They made us do it...
To counter this you need to put blind fold over the eyes and shoot like that...

Notice the Red Dot? Coincidence, or something more sinister?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Anbaric
  • Haha 1

I do think the recorded sound thing is coming...maybe not for Leica, but for other cameras. Apparently it is a common practice in cars now...using speakers to make the engines sound louder and more aggressive than they are, now that engines are being made smaller and more fuel efficient to comply with environmental standards. I guess that if everything starts to go fully electric shutter, they will do the same...choosing your sound is not very far fetched. Perhaps there will be a Rollei 6008 setting, haha. When I had that camera I had to explain to people I was photographing first not to be alarmed, it was not an air raid or distant volcano exploding, just the Rollei shutter...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Notice the Red Dot? Coincidence, or something more sinister?

OMG!!!

you opened my eyes... both of them... :D
Come with me if you want to live...

Leica M2029

• Haha 3

On 6/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, jaapv said:

Total and utter bollocks. It is focus aid like any other and quite useful within its limitations as long as the photographer takes the trouble to learn to use it. …

Nonsense.  It’s rubbish.

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't want to take away from anyone who likes focus peaking, but man, I hate it. Covering the image with a bunch of red or blue pixels...it is bad enough that I have to look through a TV screen to see the image, now the point of focus of the image (most likely the most important part) is covered in solid color pixels? I have also found it generally slow and inaccurate when I have had to use it. I understand it for video where it is difficult to zoom in or take ones time without ruining a shot, but for stills I find it really unpleasant. But as I said, good on you if you enjoy it. I would take a rangefinder patch any day...

• Like 6

I’ve had focus confirmation (Nikon F5) and focus peaking (Nex, A7r, D800e, TL2, SL and M10-D), as one Moderator here has said on many occasions - nothing beats the rangefinder focusing approach in experienced hands, when you see the image “pop”.  Having played with focus peaking, moving the in focus shimmer to the front, to the back, and watching it disappear altogether with faster lenses, it is my experience that it is … rubbish.

I agree with the former views of said Moderator that nothing beats the rangefinder patch, within reason.  Obviously, there are limits discussed beyond most peple’s patience elsewhere.  I would remind said Moderator of his oft expounded view that “sharpness is an illusion”

With the M10-D, one of my few frustrations is when I use the optional EVF, with focus assist on, a movable patch magnifies when I move the focus ring (with a coupled lens), but the wretched shimmery shadows of focus peaking also comes on automatically - it is a royal pain in the neck which effectively defeats magnification.  I have asked Leica to give the option to disable focus peaking.  I’m told, no chance.

Focus peaking would probably be effective if you had the option to accurately fix the best plane of focus - I can usually asses the depth of field for myself.

Obviously, others may have a different view - I won’t descend to saying their views or their experience is “bollocks” … just saying.

10 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Maybe sooner than we think...

and I need your Leica M, Leica M lenses and your Leica strap... :D 

Nikola

Edited by LEGEND

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

When I had that camera I had to explain to people I was photographing first not to be alarmed, it was not an air raid or distant volcano exploding, just the Rollei shutter...

I just got the last properly rebuilt Contarex Super on this planet.  It makes a fantastic symphony of sounds when activated, the mirror going, the aperture closing, the shutter shuttering.  You can't beat that.  An old Hassy just makes a giant flap sound that scares all flora and fauna.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I do think the recorded sound thing is coming...maybe not for Leica, but for other cameras. Apparently it is a common practice in cars now...using speakers to make the engines sound louder and more aggressive than they are, now that engines are being made smaller and more fuel efficient to comply with environmental standards. I guess that if everything starts to go fully electric shutter, they will do the same...choosing your sound is not very far fetched. Perhaps there will be a Rollei 6008 setting, haha. When I had that camera I had to explain to people I was photographing first not to be alarmed, it was not an air raid or distant volcano exploding, just the Rollei shutter...

Agree, even though I love the M mechanical shutter sound .  I liked stick shifts, too.  And still enjoy vinyl records.  But time marches on; some things remain, some don’t. And some new things can be ignored; focus peaking, for one; disabled it on my SL2.

Jeff

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I just got the last properly rebuilt Contarex Super on this planet.  It makes a fantastic symphony of sounds when activated, the mirror going, the aperture closing, the shutter shuttering.  You can't beat that. 

Yes you can indeed with the Contarex Bull's Eye. The Contarex Super was but a modern camera that Real Zeiss Men despised the same way as some Real Leica Men still do with their Jurassic Park rangefinder around the neck :D.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lct said:

"Shutter haptics"? Is this what "stappler noise" means? Just kidding sorry stronger than me :D. 

Actually I believe that is the sound of cancelling the user of many names...once again.  Maybe we should observe a moment of silent shutters on his behalf........Ok, click(or staple) away.🤫

11 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Having played with focus peaking, moving the in focus shimmer to the front, to the back, and watching it disappear altogether with faster lenses, it is my experience that it is … rubbish.

Its rather like the 'Pirate's Code', guidance rather than absolute. Which is why it isn't so applicable when its really needed. I have it on cameras but don't really see it as a particularly precise feature myself.

• Like 1

vor 22 Stunden schrieb IkarusJohn:

Nonsense.  It’s rubbish.

. . . the focus peaking is meant. I agree. To my experience the focus range is far too wide. I speak about the M11 here: its not precise. Indeed it often does not really matter wether the focus is a bit here or there. But if one wants to focus precisely then the rangefinder is an other level. In my M11 I do not use focus peaking. In an M12 with EVF only there must be an improved method for focussing.

• Like 1