M12 will be more... boring?

setuporg

4 hours ago, lct said:

There is no shame to prefer AF but M cameras and lenses are manual and will remain so as long as there are people willing to pay for them. As for ""dying concept" i have been hearing this since the seventies and you can see the result half a century later. EVF-M making no sense for you does't mean that it makes no sense for everybody else BTW. This has been discussed at length on this forum.

I sincerely hope you're right but it's my feeling that newer generations will opt for EFV and autofocus.  

23 hours ago, lct said:

MD, MDa and MD-2 had no rangefinder either. No window at all here. Ready to receive a built-in EVF ;).

A film M with an EVF! That would be quite a unique concept. Of course there is no imaging sensor in a film camera to feed the EVF, so there would either need to be a small sensor for the EVF hidden away somewhere on the front (fake rangefinder window?) or a larger one on a swinging arm (M5 or CL style)

I must be strange.

I want a mechanical shutter that I have to wind on with a film advance lever, I want to hear the sound when the shutter is released. It's a very important differentiating feature of my M cameras compared with others that I've used. I'd likely buy a digital M if it retained the mechanical shutter, cocked with a film wind on lever but with a digital sensor for the image capture. I'd also be quite satisfied if it had an EVF based 'rangefinder' which adjusted it's FOV to suit the focal length of the lens, worked in lowish light, had a long eye point for my glasses and was the only display option for re-play (no ugly LCD on the back). And I want it to be an M, not an L-mount. In fact, if Leica made a camera like this you'd hear the sonic boom as my credit card left the confines of my wallet.....

• Like 1

JMHO, but I think it would be really great if people would let digital M cameras actually be M cameras and quit trying to wish them into being a Sony a1 with a Leica logo on the front.

Electric eFfin' Vehicle too?!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with electric vehicles - people have no damn business driving more than 12 miles a day.  😁

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

On 6/21/2022 at 11:25 AM, Herr Barnack said:

JMHO, but I think it would be really great if people would let digital M cameras actually be M cameras and quit trying to wish them into being a Sony a1 with a Leica logo on the front.

I couldn't agree more.

The good news is that Leica is doing well enough to attract users from other brands. The bad news is that a lot of these users want the Leica prestige with the PHD features in whatever brand they are currently using.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, V23 said:

Focus peaking allows accurate focus in comparison to outdated rangefinder, it is bit like navigating by compass or GPS. 

When shooting wide angles, I always use rangefinder to focus, focus peaking or magnification alone is not precise enough for me (too much DOF).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"When shooting wide angles, I always use rangefinder to focus, focus peaking or magnification alone is not precise enough for me (too much DOF)."

I find the opposite - focus peaking is much more accurate than the RF if I need precise focus.   That being said, I hardly ever use focus peaking though, curiously, the other day, while out shooting, the rangefinder could not establish focus for this pic; focus peaking did.  Shot was from around 50 feet away through balustrade with 90mm lens. (heavily cropped from original.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 6/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, V23 said:

Focus peaking allows accurate focus in comparison to outdated rangefinder, it is bit like navigating by compass or GPS. 

focus peaking is far from perfect. Often nothing show up on noctilux lenses, or not enough . sometime one edge show in reg just because it has high contrast. 
When you use a wide-angle lens it becomes a red field and I don't know what you image was. when taking portraits the eyes peaking goes on and you can see there she is looking or if she is blinking.

If the Visoflex 2 had the resolution of SL2 I could focus without any of the red ants working around.

• Thanks 2

For me focus peaking has been frustrating and messy to use, and most importantly, not accurate. Not at wide apertures and not stopped down. 

I achieve faster and more accurate focusing, whether it's on the Nikon DSLR focus screens, Nikon Z EVF and now Leica Rangefinder. 

Its a feature that works so poorly for me across various systems that I end up questioning myself, since it's popularity online is evident. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 2

Focus peaking is not made to nail focus IMHO. The way i use it, at least, it is the only focusing aid allowing to see at a glance what parts of the image stand within or outside the zone of acceptable sharpness without having to recompose or compensate for field curvature or focus shift. YMMV.

Focus peaking on the M11 with the Visoflex 2 zoomed in all the way works extremely well wide open if and only if I'm using a modern, well-corrected, high-contrast lens – 28 Lux, CV APO, etc. But it's just as easy to focus without peaking at that magnification, so why bother having the view compromised with the red color all over the frame?

The rangefinder (if perfectly calibrated) is still my favorite focusing tool, especially for stopped down shooting.

• Like 1