Leica M-A Titan GAS pictures.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, logan2z said:

Someone obviously screwed up when writing the description of that camera, but the pictures clearly show the prism damage so I don't believe there's any attempt to cover it up. 

I've bought lots of used gear from CW over the past few years and, with one exception, it's all been just as described.  The one exception was an M2 that had an issue with the lens mount that made it difficult to mount my 50mm Summicron, but the camera had just been completely overhauled by Leica Wetzlar and someone there obviously missed this issue - as did whoever inspected the camera at CW upon its return from the Leica service.  All of my other lenses mounted fine to the camera, so the issue was specific to the 50 Summicron and so I suppose the oversight wasn't that egregious.  CW did promptly handle sending the camera back to Wetzlar for repair (at their expense) and it came back (after some months) working fine.

Given my experience, I don't think that CW is attempting to intentionally mislead anyone when selling used camera gear.  But mistakes do happen, and I think this is one case where a mistake was made grading the camera and not explicitly calling out the prism issue in the ad's text description.

To be fair they do provide ample, well lit pics.  But their descriptions seem off.  I bought a recently CLA-d M4 from them that had awful shutter bounce so I sent it back for full refund.  And in the ad they even mentioned it had a shutter overhaul etc, but it seems that even though they claim they fully check over the gear before they send it out, it seems that they don't really.

8 hours ago, 69xchange said:

I bought a m2 from them that advertised the viewfinder was clear of fungus and haze but when I received it, it had a point fungus growing inside the viewfinder. I sent it back for a full refund. I lost quite a bit of money on currency exchange and custom taxes as they declared the value as $500 when I paid $1800. Don’t even know how I would claim that since there’s a big discrepancy in actual vs declared value. It was a nice gesture of them to under declare but I never asked them to..

I think the $500 value they declared was the real value given the fungus.

;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Huss said:

To be fair they do provide ample, well lit pics.  But their descriptions seem off.  I bought a recently CLA-d M4 from them that had awful shutter bounce so I sent it back for full refund.  And in the ad they even mentioned it had a shutter overhaul etc, but it seems that even though they claim they fully check over the gear before they send it out, it seems that they don't really.

Agreed, I think they could do a better job of checking things over before they list them for sale.  They may be (incorrectly) assuming that something just serviced by DAG or Leica should be fit for sale, but that's clearly not always the case. 

On 6/28/2023 at 11:01 AM, Huss said:

Not sure how trustworthy camerawest's descriptions are.  Given that this just posted FM3A has a collapsed prism  - check the straight on pic (and you can see the dent in some of the others), yet describes it as "9, minor handling wear"...

https://www.camerawest.com/product/nikon-fm3a-black-242430

So that "open box" MA Titanium?  Hmm.

It appears that the camera sold.

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Funny Leica put it on their website with a link to stores as if everyone can buy it lol...

https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/lenses/m/noctilux-m-50mm-f0-95-asph-titan

I did 😄

So the funny thing is that Leica tried to make me sign an agreement saying that I'm not allowed to resale the lens within 2 years, and that if I decide to part with it during that time, I am obligated to notify them first, and to accept that they preempt the purchase of the lens at retail value if they decide to. 

I told them to f*** off. I bought a 17k item. I do what I want with it and there I find them very disrespectful for asking me to sing such an insulting paper. Also, its illegal by French commerce laws. I dont plan to flip the lens for profit, but it's my item, my money, my decision. Not even Hermes would dare to do this. Hermes would just blacklist me if they're not happy about me. It's a pathetic attempt from leica to control the second market, that they never will, not even with their auctions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

P.S. I know that most of you will disagree with me because those who can't be on the list for collectors items are bitter that they have to pay more for it. But it's the law of the jungle. Nothing you nor Leica can do about it. We live in a time where people need to find hard, anti inflation assets to store their money in. If it's not a Noctilux titan, it will be something else as useless. 

• Like 3

I'm less offended by the their efforts to prevent these lenses to going to flippers. I don't love it, but also can't cry. They don't have to sell you one...

Very similar to the Ferrari model, keep the car for a couple years before flipping, else they get the right of first refusal.

I'll save my tears (and whining) for actual problems in the world. 

14 minutes ago, calijax said:

I'm less offended by the their efforts to prevent these lenses to going to flippers. I don't love it, but also can't cry. They don't have to sell you one...

Very similar to the Ferrari model, keep the car for a couple years before flipping, else they get the right of first refusal.

I'll save my tears (and whining) for actual problems in the world. 

No one shed tears. As for the whining, if you prefer we can discuss the war being back in Europe on a Leica forum ?