Considering switching to the SL2-S/Q2 kit for weddings

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, Chris W said:

SD cards are arguably less secure than CFast or external SSD.

I can see why people would be nervous about a single SD slot for an important event like a wedding.

The 5D2 has a single slot, and it was the working wedding photographer's go-to for nearly a decade. Cards are a lot more reliable these days, the 5D2 had an issue with bending CF pins. However, the SL cameras have two slots, always have. The Q2 has a single slot, but it probably wouldn't be the primary camera.

In the end, you just need to go with what you are comfortable with.

• Like 1

I know a few photographers that lost more photos because they where scared of using large cards. So they shoot on 32gb card and change often...

then they loose the card....

I just use 256 cards for the last 10 years. they have gone down in price.. and no changing card needed..

If you need a better SD card consider server grade memory. OWC make a 256GB v90 card.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M11 for me said:

You compare Apples with Pairs. Why take the R3?  Competitor to SL2 is R5. Why do you come about with such queer things? Is your request here real?

https://camerasize.com/compare/#851,843

Your picture above is fully wrong. Your SL2 is smaller than the M.

Plus the lens you compare is on the SL the 50mm f/2.0. On the Canon you take the 50mm f/1.2. Is it possible that you are not aware of all of that?

What is your intention here? 

Yes, my request is real. Thank you for the passive-aggressive tone. I've been a full-time wedding photographer for 16 years and I teach photographers around the world (for the past 10+ years) so I'm not a noob by any means. I compared the SL2-S to the R3 because it was what someone else had recommended trying. Even a comparison to the R5 isn't exactly right (vs. the SL2-S), the R6 would probably be more appropriate. 

Re: the lenses - I'm comparing what I would shoot with. On the SL2-S, I would go with the 50mm APO Summicron. On the R6, there doesn't seem to be a pro-grade f/2, so the best option to go with is the 50mm f/1.2L. So I compared those 2. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hansvons said:

a big chunk of posters in this thread try to stir you away from using Leica professionally

Yeah - I see that. Which is sort of ironic and unfortunate. To have such beautiful cameras that are a joy to use, you would think the "super fans" (those here in this forum) would want to encourage the use of them for the best of the best in paid scenarios with clients. Otherwise, are we really suggesting that Leicas are only appropriate for hobby uses? Seems unfortunate.

There are tons of reasons to follow their advice.

There were some good points, but everyone seemed to get stuck - solely - on the support/backup option. There wasn't a lot contributed that focused on the technical merit, IQ, shooting experience, AF, low-ISO, reliability of the cameras, etc. I also noticed that not many of the negative comments were from working pros or someone who had made money from their camera. I'm not trying to poo poo on them, but there seemed to be a good bit of elitism in there, and that was unfortunate to see. 

Shooting people isn't all about sharp eyes and smiling faces. It's about how you interact, your personality and how deeply you are involved in the creation process. Routine is the death of art. You have to leave your comfort zone to reach the next level. Weddings, I guess, are not like sports, press conferences and other societal events. It's more about the more profound understanding of the happening, of friendships, the family's vibe, you name it, rather than the accurate documentation of a political event ending up in a newspaper. There are brilliant wedding photographers around who shoot their stuff entirely manually. 

I couldn't agree more! I'm more of a PJ shooter myself, so I care less about "perfect" details technically. But I also appreciate when you can marry technical proficiency and moment. As I mentioned, as someone who is semi-retired from photography now (I started a software company - for photographers - and focus more on that), I have the luxury of being able to be more selective with what I shoot, and the joy of wanting to shoot with something I enjoy shooting. Which is why I'm looking at the SL2-S system. 

Appreciate you feedback and input, though - was some of the most helpful comments here in the thread 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hansvons said:

as you probably learned, a big chunk of posters in this thread try to stir you away from using Leica professionally.

Indeed, due to lack of pro service. As a (wedding)pro you need to have a backup of the backup, and be able to get things fixed when it goes wrong. Leica, though has great service, it is not quick enough for pro’s and without loan equipment available, it can and should not be taken into account (unless you use another brand as backup).

regarding dual slot: i have shot hundreds of weddings, and never had a card fail on me. However, if the cam didn’t had dual card, i used two cams at the same time to have a kind of backup.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb bcapphoto:

the lenses - I'm comparing what I would shoot with. On the SL2-S, I would go with the 50mm APO Summicron. On the R6, there doesn't seem to be a pro-grade f/2, so the best option to go with is the 50mm f/1.2L. So I compared those 2. 

Well done. I see that you are a real pro. Maybe I will invite you sometimes in one of my courses. 

Stupid enough: I see no course advertised on your homepage. But its good to know that you travel the world, taking photographs and teaching photography. I think that I heard that somewhere else.

But sorry. I will start to take that seriously: You want to replace your Fuji.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hansvons said:

2 Sd card slots. The second slot issue is in cinema land a non-issue. I've shot hundreds of TV commercials and only lost once a little chunk of data due to a faulty SD card. However, that data was recoverable later. Arri, for instance, not known for unreliable gear, offers one slot in their cameras which are roughly ten times more expensive than the SL2. I always buy the best available SD card. 

Gosh that's amazing. I've never used an Arri. In video world for weddings I know quite a few guys and they are near all using stuff like Sony a7s3, with due card slots recording. In fact only recently I was at a wedding with a guy shooting sony and he had a card corrupt with ceremony footage, with the 2nd card saving the day.

6 hours ago, Chris W said:

I'm not a wedding photographer, but most on Youtube recommend dual card slots, plus changing cards and saving to back up through the day.

In my opinion, the chances of a human error swapping multiple cards, in addition to the fact wear and tear on the SD card contacts from inserting/removing are the 2 main risk factors.

I have a long track record of using the biggest card I can in the camera, with the 2nd card slot recording full size jpegs. I use a card easily big enough to shoot an entire wedding with plenty of space left at the end of the day (in case you get a ripper of a wedding and shoot more). i.e. I'm using 512gb cards in my R5's, and when I shot weddings on SL2 it was 256gb.

I've never lost a photo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

I have the luxury of being able to be more selective with what I shoot, and the joy of wanting to shoot with something I enjoy shooting. Which is why I'm looking at the SL2-S system. 

Honestly it sounds like you decided before coming into this thread. So give it a go, and sincerely - good luck. They are beautiful cameras & lenses. I bought into Leica intending to be 100% on the system for weddings, but multiple body failures and 4 month turnarounds had me unfortunately making a hasty exit.

You'll probably notice your candid percentages will drop a little on the Leica, I've noticed my candids have skyrocketed on the canon's with the eye detect af. But yeah, lovely glass on the SL.

16 hours ago, M11 for me said:

Well done. I see that you are a real pro. Maybe I will invite you sometimes in one of my courses. 

Stupid enough: I see no course advertised on your homepage. But its good to know that you travel the world, taking photographs and teaching photography. I think that I heard that somewhere else.

But sorry. I will start to take that seriously: You want to replace your Fuji.

LOL there's no way you can be serious with this. I'm not even going to reply/comment on any of it and get into a keyboard war because, quite frankly, I don't have the energy to waste on it. Maybe you'd feel more fulfilled engaging in other threads - wishing you the best. 

15 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

Honestly it sounds like you decided before coming into this thread. So give it a go, and sincerely - good luck. They are beautiful cameras & lenses. I bought into Leica intending to be 100% on the system for weddings, but multiple body failures and 4 month turnarounds had me unfortunately making a hasty exit.

Ha - I mean ... sort of. But also open to a good, healthy discussion about it! I just don't have experience shooting the system itself so I was more looking to get that kind of 1st hand experience. I appreciate your feedback though! Which Canon do you shoot with?

A good reference might be Jonathan Slack who posts here. He is a UK wedding photographer and Leica reviewer.  His reviews are part of the reason I have started moving into the SL system. Although no longer shooting professionally I get called upon occasionally by friends/family.  Shot my first wedding last month with the SL and 24-90.  I was pleased enough with the experience that I since added an SL2.  The gear is certainly up to the task and I enjoy using it much more than my normal Nikon kit.  I can't speak to how it might hold up in the hands of someone who shoots 40+ weddings a year.  For what it's worth I purchased my two SL bodies and the 24-90 used with no knowledge of its history and it all still functions as new.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb bcapphoto:

LOL there's no way you can be serious with this. I'm not even going to reply/comment on any of it and get into a keyboard war because, quite frankly, I don't have the energy to waste on it. Maybe you'd feel more fulfilled engaging in other threads - wishing you the best. 

I'd like to know where you give your courses. Don't step away now. Too much is simply strange. A pro does not jump from Fuji to Leica and at the same time claim that he had all the top pro cams. Bla bla bla. And you talk about courses around the world and nothing of the your pro's website (within 10 years!!!). Do you fool us?

A lot of things are strange. More than that.

Pease answer a simple question: How can I enrol one of your courses in India? Or Australia. 

Edited by M11 for me

25 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

I'd like to know where you give your courses. Don't step away now. Too much is simply strange.

A lot of things are strange.

Have you heard of WPPI? It's the largest conference in North America for wedding and portrait photographers. I've been a regular speaker there. 

Have you heard of Professional Photographers of America (PPA)? I've spoken @ their events countless times. 

Have you heard of Professional Photographers of Canada (PPOC)? I've spoken @ their events countless times. 

We also have a podcast (and put on our own events - locally) about the business of photography. We've had about 3 million downloads, and at it's peak, we were getting 40-60,000 downloads per month. 

Have you heard of Sprout Studio? I'm the CEO and Founder of that company and teach to our community and users. 

Go ahead and Google my name - you won't have a hard time finding places I've spoken, been interviewed, taught, etc. 

10 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

And then you ask here simple questions: Should I move to Leica? OMG. 

BTW: No I do not know all these organisations and I never heard of you 😆

Again - wishing you the very best.  You must be super successful and fulfilled as a photographer and person. Feel free to move on and contribute in other threads. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LUF Admin said:

@M11 for me & @bcapphoto

Could you please stop your individual conversation / fight? Ignoring would be a good option.

Thanks
Andreas

Thank you - that's exactly what I've been trying to do. No interest (nor time) to get into a pissing match here, just looking for good, genuine and honest conversations as per my OP.