OMG! The prices!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Tomsmac said:

So, my original point still stands, if I figured this out in 24 hours, why would anyone buy a used M6 over a new MP when this information is easily available and a superior, brand new camera?

Probably because

1) They haven't figured it out  

and

2) Not everyone is based in the USA, believe it or not :D

Best of luck with it, does sound great and hope all runs smooth 

I’ve been waiting on an MP for going on four months. I’d really like to have it by our vacation next month. I was tempted to order from RDC based on this thread but there are just too many unknowns.

I'm sure RDC would do a great job and send a beautiful camera. My decision has nothing to do with them. I’m afraid of unforeseen tax, duties, and warranty issues.

I’ll continue to wait. 

13 minutes ago, pedaes said:

I agree RDC will ship without any UK VAT or US Duty, but what we don't know is if US Customs charges VAT and/or Duty on import. In the UK if we import a new camera from the US, or even win one in a sweepstake, we will very probably have to pay both at the UK rate.

Again, nope. We’ve specifically spoken about this. The only issue with customs is that it delays the delivery by 1-2 days. Just call them, it’s easy, But remember the +7 hour time delta.

10 minutes ago, malligator said:

I’ve been waiting on an MP for going on four months. I’d really like to have it by our vacation next month. I was tempted to order from RDC based on this thread but there are just too many unknowns.

I'm sure RDC would do a great job and send a beautiful camera. My decision has nothing to do with them. I’m afraid of unforeseen tax, duties, and warranty issues.

I’ll continue to wait. 

Why not just give them a call? I had these same questions and they set my mind at ease.

Yes this question relates to any export from any retailer so better to distance the conversation from RDC specifically, since they obviously are highly respected i don't think it's appropriate to make this a conversation about them specifically.   The only relevance to RDC in this conversation is that they have the item we are talking about in stock .  

Any retailer in UK will sell the item ex-VAT to an overseas purchaser, all they need to show is that the item is going overseas and therefore they haven't collected VAT on the transaction .   They are also right to inform the customer that they are not charging VAT or export/import duties. 

What they can't control is import duties at the other end.  If the info posted here is true that there is no import duties specifically on 35mm film cameras into the US then that's amazing. (Quite hard to believe it's not already well-known / well-discussed on a forum like this though)

Shipping the same item to Australia the buyer would be up for approx.15% on top of the total of product + shipping cost, which would need to be paid via credit card before the package is released by customs on to its final destination .  When you account for shipping and insurance on a large value item, that's a big mark-up.  So a Aussie buyer in the same scenario would be paying the same (probably more) as a UK domestic buyer (if VAT is still 17% ish in UK) by the time it lands at their door. 

If something similar doesn't apply to USA buyers at the point of entry then more power to you  

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Yes this question relates to any export from any retailer so better to distance the conversation from RDC specifically, since they obviously are highly respected i don't think it's appropriate to make this a conversation about them specifically.   The only relevance to RDC in this conversation is that they have the item we are talking about in stock .  

Any retailer in UK will sell the item ex-VAT to an overseas purchaser, all they need to show is that the item is going overseas and therefore they haven't collected VAT on the transaction .   They are also right to inform the customer that they are not charging VAT or export/import duties. 

What they can't control is import duties at the other end.  If the info posted here is true that there is no import duties specifically on 35mm film cameras into the US then that's amazing. (Quite hard to believe it's not already well-known / well-discussed on a forum like this though)

Shipping the same item to Australia the buyer would be up for approx.15% on top of the total of product + shipping cost, which would need to be paid via credit card before the package is released by customs on to its final destination .  When you account for shipping and insurance on a large value item, that's a big mark-up.  So a Aussie buyer in the same scenario would be paying the same (probably more) as a UK domestic buyer (if VAT is still 17% ish in UK) by the time it lands at their door. 

If something similar doesn't apply to USA buyers at the point of entry then more power to you  

Respectfully, you wrote that we should “Distance the conversation from RDC…” and then literally wrote solely about RDC. This thread is not about RDC, it’s about the overwhelming prices for Leica photography and RDC appears to be a small cure.

-I spoke to them. They made it abundantly clear that they ship to the US everyday and understand the process door to door. If you have doubts just give them a call, they’ll be glad to hear from you. Just lock up your credit card beforehand. 😁

Edited by Tomsmac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Tomsmac said:

Respectfully, you wrote that we should “Distance the conversation from RDC…” and then literally wrote solely about RDC. This thread is not about RDC, it’s about the overwhelming prices for Leica photography and RDC appears to be a small cure.

-I spoke to them. They made it abundantly clear that they ship to the US everyday and understand the process door to door. If you have doubts just give them a call, they’ll be glad to hear from you.

I didn't write about RDC after I stated that.  I was simply trying to discourage any subsequent comments along the lines of "I don't trust that information", which wouldn't be fair on RDC.   

It's really clear my post didn't then mention the retailer again (you've even quoted what I wrote - so it's incredible you even are suggesting that ).  The information I posted was generic to any UK-based retailer .  

So once again if it wasn't clear enough.... my comments were based on any UK retailer exporting a 35mm film camera (since the loophole you are claiming is seemingly specific to 35mm cameras )

Best of luck with it , I certainly won't be commenting again considering how combative you are .  

• Like 1

As far as I know, no duties/taxes to the US, though it's been a few years since I bought a camera from overseas (the last probably being a new M9 monochrome from Leica Paris). But I've bought from overseas (UK etc) many years both new/used and never any duties. 

Not sure though if method of carriage has any bearing though - when I sell a print to a client in the  EU there is usually no customs charge on their end if sent via US Post, but there is if sent via a courier (UPS, etc), no matter the value declaration (usually low). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pedaes said:

I agree RDC will ship without any UK VAT or US Duty, but what we don't know is if US Customs charges VAT and/or Duty on import.

That's what I was getting at when I said that perhaps RDC isn't expert on what happens once the camera is in the hands of US Customs as it crosses the border into the US.  But, I did do a bit of investigation and it seems as though cameras (no distinction was made for new vs. used) are not subject to duty when imported into the US from Germany.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malligator said:

I’m afraid of unforeseen tax, duties, and warranty issues.

My understanding is that Leica's warranty is worldwide assuming the product is purchased from an official Leica agent.  I'm sure you could easily confirm this by sending an email to Leica.

45 minutes ago, logan2z said:

My understanding is that Leica's warranty is worldwide assuming the product is purchased from an official Leica agent.  I'm sure you could easily confirm this by sending an email to Leica.

I did confirm with Leica, thank you. 

• Like 1

There is not import tax coming to the US for cameras.  I have made several big ticket purchases from Leica Store Vienna.

But!!!! Make sure whoever you buy from does not use DHL.  DHL has tried to charge me an import tax and I had to fight it tooth and nail before they finally relented.  That 'import' tax was just a fee to themselves in disguise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malligator said:

I’ll continue to wait. 

Chrome like new MP for $4700

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1757043/0?keyword=mp#15945642

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1756523/0?keyword=mp#15942860

28 minutes ago, Tomsmac said:

Thank you but that’s about $600 more than a new one from RDC that comes with a warranty. Appreciate it though.

I just checked that!  The equivalent of $4270 new!  Dood, I'd be all over that, not sure why you are waiting!

5 minutes ago, Huss said:

I just checked that!  The equivalent of $4270 new!  Dood, I'd be all over that, not sure why you are waiting!

Who said I’m waiting? 😁. I’ve also splurged on a minty M4-2 that I find absolutely magnificent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...