OMG! The prices!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, willeica said:

You are not alone and some young digital natives are trying it out for the first time.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jun/05/you-only-have-one-shot-how-film-cameras-won-over-a-younger-generation

What goes around, comes around. My M6 is now worth about 3 times what I paid for it about 11 years ago and my 2 M3s (DS and SS)  are worth about two and a half times what I paid for them. I have all the other film Ms, but these two models stand out. 

Leica probably needs to get in on the youth market, the same way that it did with the SOFORT. The film Ms are too expensive, either new or second hand, for the youth market. What might work? A Lomography item with a red dot? Lomography is another company that has done a lot to capture the youth market. 

Time for lateral thinking?

William 

Enjoyed that article, William. Thanks for posting the link.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikemgb said:

I read this entire thread a couple of days ago, until I did I had no idea what prices had done over the last couple of years. I have an M2 with a quickload kit and lenses varying from 28mm to 135mm, with brightline viewfinders where necessary. I also have a few Barnacks with some nice lenses.

After reading this  I priced what it would cost to replace my gear and found it would be about three times what I paid for it. 

As a result I now have camera insurance that will cover loss and damage, a worthwhile investment I believe. 

7 hours ago, mikemgb said:

I read this entire thread a couple of days ago, until I did I had no idea what prices had done over the last couple of years. I have an M2 with a quickload kit and lenses varying from 28mm to 135mm, with brightline viewfinders where necessary. I also have a few Barnacks with some nice lenses.

After reading this  I priced what it would cost to replace my gear and found it would be about three times what I paid for it. 

As a result I now have camera insurance that will cover loss and damage, a worthwhile investment I believe. 

Extremely wise decision. I hold camera insurance as well through USAA. If I hadn’t asked I wouldn’t have known that while they still accepted my application and list of cameras that in order to pay I had to include receipts which I fortunately had. They also have an option for lenses as well.  

Let’s both hope that we’ll never need to use it!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tomsmac said:

Extremely wise decision. I hold camera insurance as well through USAA. If I hadn’t asked I wouldn’t have known that while they still accepted my application and list of cameras that in order to pay I had to include receipts which I fortunately had. They also have an option for lenses as well.  

Let’s both hope that we’ll never need to use it!

I also insured through USAA. You don’t actually need the receipt, if you don’t have one a photograph of the equipment is sufficient, they require a receipt or other proof of ownership. 

I confirmed this a few years ago when I was burgled, in a couple of cases the only proof I had of ownership was the fact the item I was claiming for happened to be in the background of a family photograph, that was enough evidence for them. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, loughtonsmith said:

I also insured my camera and lenses through USAA, but in the fine print it appears that an appraisal might be needed for a claim to verify the self-stated value.  I may call them to find an approved appraiser who knows something about photographic equipment…

When I filed my burglary claim in many cases all I had to do was supply a link to the equivalent item for sale showing the current cost. 

Having said that, I do have appraisals on a few jewelry items, although I have found that in reality I can buy most of the items for far less than the appraisal amount so I’m not really sure of the point of it. 

I’ll be interested in the answer they give you to see if things have changed in the last few years. 

1 hour ago, loughtonsmith said:

I also insured my camera and lenses through USAA, but in the fine print it appears that an appraisal might be needed for a claim to verify the self-stated value.  I may call them to find an approved appraiser who knows something about photographic equipment…

This should be acceptable to any appraiser given the wide ranging data capture and auction results analysis:

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/

William 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, loughtonsmith said:

Yep, I was told the same thing especially if I wanted to claim that the camera had added value since submitting a receipt.

3 hours ago, mikemgb said:

When I filed my burglary claim in many cases all I had to do was supply a link to the equivalent item for sale showing the current cost. 

Having said that, I do have appraisals on a few jewelry items, although I have found that in reality I can buy most of the items for far less than the appraisal amount so I’m not really sure of the point of it. 

I’ll be interested in the answer they give you to see if things have changed in the last few years. 

But that is for a claim under your homeowners insurance. It would be the same if the equipment was stolen from your auto it would be filed under your auto insurance unless it’s parked in your driveway where it would be filed under your homeowners insurance. The addendum, the camera and/or jewelry addendum, is for such claims for damage etc… I know, very confusing but I dated a broker and learned this stuff and discussed extensively with USAA.

Edited by Tomsmac
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 9:59 AM, Herr Barnack said:

Today's used film M camera prices are making me regret not buying 10 or 15 used film bodies five or so years ago. 

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, as they say.

Maybe that is what’s currently driving up prices… some people buying 10 to 15 used film bodies today in the hope of making a nice return five or so years from now 🙂

Coverages are not universal since insurance companies add bells and whistles to differentiate their product from an another carrier.  If polices were all the same they would be commodities (like a barrel of oil) and potential customers would make their buying decision solely on price.  My homeowner policy covers property in the home only and a loss is subject to a $1,000 deductible, and coverage does not include drops and spills.  So I get a separate inland marine policy that covers any damage or loss (except self-inflicted), either at or away from my residence, and there is no deductible.  I just renewed and the cost was <$400.  

Again, all policies are different.  I'm just explaining my circumstances.  

A Leica film and digital camera, and few Leica lenses slung over my shoulder is a chunk of change.  I get great peace of mind knowing any loss, anywhere, is 100% covered.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayD28 said:

Coverages are not universal since insurance companies add bells and whistles to differentiate their product from an another carrier.  If polices were all the same they would be commodities (like a barrel of oil) and potential customers would make their buying decision solely on price.  My homeowner policy covers property in the home only and a loss is subject to a $1,000 deductible, and coverage does not include drops and spills.  So I get a separate inland marine policy that covers any damage or loss (except self-inflicted), either at or away from my residence, and there is no deductible.  I just renewed and the cost was <$400.  

Again, all policies are different.  I'm just explaining my circumstances.  

A Leica film and digital camera, and few Leica lenses slung over my shoulder is a chunk of change.   

“ I get great peace of mind knowing any loss, anywhere, is 100% covered.” I couldn’t agree more. I’m grateful however that I can add a new camera and/or lens to my policy at any time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hype and social media buzz distort markets but at the end of the day if person A wants to pay what person B asks then in the eyes of both parties the transaction is of value... would I buy an M film camera today? not on the used market - the value is not there.

Well, I just sucked it up and bought a SS M3.  I've wanted one for a long time and waited just long enough for prices to go way up before buying :)  But I don't care, this one had particular significance to me so the cost wasn't a major factor.  Plus I don't plan on ever selling it, so if the value goes up or down it makes no difference to me. 

Can't wait to put my first roll through it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dunhoy said:

Hype and social media buzz distort markets but at the end of the day if person A wants to pay what person B asks then in the eyes of both parties the transaction is of value... would I buy an M film camera today? not on the used market - the value is not there.

It is if person A pays person B’s price.

3 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Well, I just sucked it up and bought a SS M3.  I've wanted one for a long time and waited just long enough for prices to go way up before buying :)  But I don't care, this one had particular significance to me so the cost wasn't a major factor.  Plus I don't plan on ever selling it, so if the value goes up or down it makes no difference to me. 

Can't wait to put my first roll through it.

Congratulations!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tomsmac said:

Congratulations!

15 minutes ago, dunhoy said:

Good for you - use it, abuse it, and enjoy it - and don't worry about what you paid for it.

Cameras are made to be used... not to sit in a box with the manufacturer packaging still on them!

Thank you!  It'll be put to good use alongside my well used (but not abused :)) M4 and M-A.

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1