I have a m10m. Do you suggest having a q2 m reporter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys. 
I know you have a lot of experience with q2 m.  And some of you also use M.  I have a m10m as well as a sl2, I have a 28 lux too.  Do I need a q2 m reporter with this camera and lens?  What would you choose if you were in this situation?

This question can only be answered if you shoot with the q2 m and you check the files. I would rent it or ask in a store and then do some of the photography you like. I am sure you will get to the point where you sense if this is the right decision. 
I rented the q2 and did a shooting with it. 
Kind regards 

• Like 1

The problem is we have too much choice these days.  I know of users who had a Q2M, like the idea of shooting in monochrome, sold their Q2M and bought a M10M, then discovered their style of shooting was better suited to a Q2M, so sold the M10M and rebought the Q2M.

I paired my M10-P with a Q2M and am really happy with this combo.   When the light levels are low and I have trouble focussing with the rangefinder, out comes my Q2M and I get clean images that would not be achievable with the M10-P.  The main limitation I see in switching from the M10M to a Q2M is the inability to switch to different lenses, but I'm more than happy to give that up in exchange for autofocus and the stabilized lens of the Q2M.  If you were to tell me the M10M and the Q2M were the same price, I would still choose the Q2M because of the advantages of autofocus and the optical stabilization.

Your use case may be different, however.  For me, I get my rangefinder fix with my M10-P and enjoy the Q2M's automation.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kreeshp said:

The problem is we have too much choice these days.  I know of users who had a Q2M, like the idea of shooting in monochrome, sold their Q2M and bought a M10M, then discovered their style of shooting was better suited to a Q2M, so sold the M10M and rebought the Q2M.

I paired my M10-P with a Q2M and am really happy with this combo.   When the light levels are low and I have trouble focussing with the rangefinder, out comes my Q2M and I get clean images that would not be achievable with the M10-P.  The main limitation I see in switching from the M10M to a Q2M is the inability to switch to different lenses, but I'm more than happy to give that up in exchange for autofocus and the stabilized lens of the Q2M.  If you were to tell me the M10M and the Q2M were the same price, I would still choose the Q2M because of the advantages of autofocus and the optical stabilization.

Your use case may be different, however.  For me, I get my rangefinder fix with my M10-P and enjoy the Q2M's automation.

Exactly. Q2M sometimes faster. And stronger than m10m on bad weather. But m10m is amazing . I use 28 lux, 35 lux , 50 apo, 75 apo. But sometimes ( just sometimes) is not easygoing. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Kamyar said:

Exactly. Q2M sometimes faster. And stronger than m10m on bad weather. But m10m is amazing . I use 28 lux, 35 lux , 50 apo, 75 apo. But sometimes ( just sometimes) is not easygoing. 

Agreed.  I like to work for my shots too (that's what my rangefinder is for) but sometimes it's good to be able to sit back, concentrate on composition only, and let the camera figure out exposure and focus.  I just know that I need both my M10-P and my Q2M to keep me satisfied.  I wouldn't choose one only to replace the other.

• Like 1

Kamyar,   It appears you already have a good number of M lenses, plus the M10-M and all excellent photographic tools.  As you know, each camera system has pros and cons for their use.  It might well be you have a case of GAS...Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  There is no cure for GAS.  I have been to GAS rehab several times only to have relapses.  I finally discovered something that works for me.  I ask myself when some new camera or lens arrives on scene this simple question;  What will this new camera or lens do for me that my current inventory cannot do?  The second question;  Do I need it or do I want it?  There is a difference between needing and wanting. Often I find thinking my situation over a number days often helps me realize, I do not need the new camera or lens.  I also know, my wallet will get a breather too.  Last, asking the well meaning forum members for advice if you should buy XY or Z might be helpful, but in reality only you can decide what is right for your genre of photography and wallet.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

Wow this is me 100% lol. Had a Q2M and loved it. Then thought hey, the M10M is the same quality images and I can use all my lenses. So I sold the Q2M and bought an M10M to use along side my M10P. I realized after that I could never do what the Q2M does with the M10M. I just sold the M10M. Will be rocking an M10P for color day use and a Q2M for mono low light use.

Edited by NICOFRANCA
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

Kamyar,   It appears you already have a good number of M lenses, plus the M10-M and all excellent photographic tools.  As you know, each camera system has pros and cons for their use.  It might well be you have a case of GAS...Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  There is no cure for GAS.  I have been to GAS rehab several times only to have relapses.  I finally discovered something that works for me.  I ask myself when some new camera or lens arrives on scene this simple question;  What will this new camera or lens do for me that my current inventory cannot do?  The second question;  Do I need it or do I want it?  There is a difference between needing and wanting. Often I find thinking my situation over a number days often helps me realize, I do not need the new camera or lens.  I also know, my wallet will get a breather too.  Last, asking the well meaning forum members for advice if you should buy XY or Z might be helpful, but in reality only you can decide what is right for your genre of photography and wallet.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Exactly. I want. I don't need 

I’ve been using and loving my M10M for 2 years. I also have a SL I mainly use with the ‘lux SL 50, but I use it rarely.

I chose to buy a Q2 reporter (not monochrome) to go with my M in order to have a versatile and light kit. It adds color, responsiveness and small videos capabilities to my M10M.

and I can travel light !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, humerc said:

I have an M10-D, the Q2M Reporter and a (analog) MP with 50 and 28 Lux and 35 Cron. I really love that combo, but if I already had an M10M I think the Q2M would be Overkill.

Yup. You are right .  That's why I ask questions to use your opinion.  Thankful

12 minutes ago, didier said:

I’ve been using and loving my M10M for 2 years. I also have a SL I mainly use with the ‘lux SL 50, but I use it rarely.

I chose to buy a Q2 reporter (not monochrome) to go with my M in order to have a versatile and light kit. It adds color, responsiveness and small videos capabilities to my M10M.

and I can travel light !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The feeling that comes with photography in M is unique.

• Like 1

@Kamyar  You have an M10M and a 28 Summilux, which will give you similar results to the Q2M-R.  The Q2 platform is a better choice for inclement weather though.  The Q2-R will give you a lighter setup for all day carry compared to the M10M and 28 'lux.  The Q2 offers autofocus which is a plus in some shooting situations. 

The M10M requires a more considered approach to shooting - it causes us to slow down just a bit and think about the shot we are about to make.  The Q2 offers convenience that the M10M does not have and has a 7mp bump in sensor resolution.

My thought is that the M10M and Q2M are close but each offers different strengths and advantages.  With the kit you already have, I don't see adding a Q2M-R as redundant.  The biggest arguments for getting the Q2M-R are its weather sealing and light weight.  The kevlar wrap and green finish are nice bonuses.

JMHO but there's no crime in buying the Q2M-R if you just like the camera as long as the purchase price is doable without causing problems. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@Kamyar  You have an M10M and a 28 Summilux, which will give you similar results to the Q2M-R.  The Q2 platform is a better choice for inclement weather though.  The Q2-R will give you a lighter setup for all day carry compared to the M10M and 28 'lux.  The Q2 offers autofocus which is a plus in some shooting situations. 

The M10M requires a more considered approach to shooting - it causes us to slow down just a bit and think about the shot we are about to make.  The Q2 offers convenience that the M10M does not have and has a 7mp bump in sensor resolution.

My thought is that the M10M and Q2M are close but each offers different strengths and advantages.  With the kit you already have, I don't see adding a Q2M-R as redundant.  The biggest arguments for getting the Q2M-R are its weather sealing and light weight.  The kevlar wrap and green finish are nice bonuses.

JMHO but there's no crime in buying the Q2M-R if you just like the camera as long as the purchase price is doable without causing problems. 

@Herr Barnack thanks for this note. I can buy q2 MR 8300 cad ( canadian$ ) ( almost 6580 usd )  is this make sense?

4 hours ago, Kamyar said:

@Herr Barnack thanks for this note. I can buy q2 MR 8300 cad ( canadian$ ) ( almost 6580 usd )  is this make sense?

B&H lists the Q2M Reporter at $6,295.00 USD, but they do not have them in stock.  Leica Store Miami offers the Q2M-R at the same price, but says the edition is sold out.  They do have the plain black Q2M for $6195 USD.

I would be willing to pay an extra $185 USD for the Q2M Reporter, if I seriously wanted one as opposed to the plain black Q2M for $6195. 

I would think of it in terms of an insurance policy premium for getting the camera I really wanted.

• Like 1