SL Summicron or M Summilux? 28/35/50

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, I have a few lens decisions to make and would appreciate different viewpoints. I am shooting with the SL2-S, and currently have a Voigtlander 21mm f.1,4, a Leica 28mm Summaron M, and a 50mm SL Summicron, in the 28-50mm range.  

I mainly use the 21-50mm focal length, and shoot mainly landscape, street, travel and a bit of architecture (I have other focal lengths but am focusing on the 28-50mm range). I really appreciate small and fast lenses (f/2 or faster) with fantastic quality and character.  I know it's hard to get everything in one lens. The 28 Summaron has size and character but not speed, the 50mm SL Summicron is amazing but is large compared to a M lens (nor is it as fast as a Summilux).  

At 28mm I need something faster than the Summaron at times, and am thinking of getting the 28mm SL Summicron for when size is not paramount but optical quality is, OR the 28mm M Summiliux for a smaller (but not small by Leica M standards), faster lens with lots of character.

At 50mm I would like something smaller than the 50mm SL Summicron, so I am thinking of the 50mm M ASPH Summilux for its amazing combination of size, speed and character.

There is also the 35mm M Summilux ASPH FLE, which would be instead of the 28mm Summilux (and maybe the 50mm 1.4 Summilux as well) - it could be a "one lens" solution when I don't want to take both a 28mm and a 50mm.

I know the Voigtlander APOs are great too, but they seem to provide more optical perfection than the character that comes with the Summiluxes (I have had Summiluxes in the past and of course regret selling them now, but before I go back down that route want to consider all alternatives).  As to the Leica 35mm and 50mm M APOs, they are out of my price range.

I know only I can really decide what is right for me, but I really appreciate hearing others' thoughts and experiences. So do I just go 28mm and 50mm Summilux and don't look back?  

Thanks!

Peter

I now use the 28 Lux and 50 APO combo on the Leica M.

I have to say that I find the 28Lux a little bit on the big side for the M, but should be totally fine size wise on the SL2-S.

I believe SL lenses are more "perfect" than their M counterparts, and if I was shooting only on SL I would rather get the 28 SL lens instead of either M lens.

I only decided for the M lens because I wanted to use it on both the M and SL.

Also while f1.4 can create a special effect, I don't use it as often as I thought I would.

Also-even being bigger than M lenses, the SL Summicron balance very well on the SL body IMO.

I think "Character" of lenses is often overrated. As long as the bokeh is nice you can always add some vignetting or corner smearing in post if you really like.

Therefore if I wanted to use manual M lenses ONLY on an SL, I would probably choose the 35 and 50 CV APO lenses.

On the M the smaller size of Leica M lenses over Voigtlänger can make a difference.

But then: 50APO and 28Lux are a beautiful combo. as well.

So my vote: go for the SL lenses if you plan to shoot it just on Sl bodies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I stick with M lenses (28/35/50) on my M bodies and SL lenses (zooms) on my SL2.  Different use cases, different attributes. And the lenses perform best natively. 

Jeff

Same here. In general, I prefer the modern look of the APO Summicron SL lenses compared to M lenses. If shot wide open, Ican pick out a photo shot on a APO Summicron SL prime regardless of focal length and without zooming in, about 8/10 times.

Edited by beewee

3 minutes ago, beewee said:

Same here. In general, I prefer the modern look of the APO Summicron SL lenses compared to M lenses. If shot wide open, Ican pick out a photo shot on a APO Summicron SL prime regardless of focal length and without zooming in, about 8/10 times.

I don’t have any issue with ultimate IQ in my prints with either the M (including M10-R and M10 Monochrom) or SL2, given their respective uses. But yes, the SL Summicrons are superb.  I sold my SL 75 only because it wasn’t getting much use.  But if I ever get back to travel, I might consider adding the SL35 as a smaller alternative to my zooms, for situations where the SL2 might better serve than the M (weather sealing, IBIS, critical framing/focus).  

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I’d go 28 / 50 combo with the M 1.4’s

or add the 28 SL and keep your 50 SL

either combo will allow you to enjoy the variety of the uses you outlined.  For me, ultimate sharpness at f 2 wins this battle and the SL primes are kind of future proof with 100-160mp sensors with sl3, sl4, sl5…  not so with the M’s

so some of your choice may depend on how big you may ever want to print…

Robb

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I decided to get the 28mm SL Summicron and keep the 50mm SL Summicron, and I am picking up the 21mm SEM as well (I always loved that lens and should never have sold my last one).  I shoot the 21mm and 28mm focal lengths a lot more than 50mm, so I think I can live with the 50mm SL Summicron as my smallest 50mm for now, and the 21mm SEM and 28mm Summaron with make a great tiny little kit for daytime shooting. If I feel the need for a smaller 50mm, I'll pick up a CV 50mm APO, which is close to the 50mm M Lux in size.

Peter

• Like 2