2 "Issues" on M10-P

clngood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, so I had my "reporter edition" of M10-P sent in, which had freezing issue, and Leica replaced the old CMOS with a whole new one. So far, no freezing, however, I run into 2 new "issues" if they really are.

1st one: Sometimes when I press the "Play" button to view the photos, a brief "loading" appears on the screen for like less than 1 second. I didn't do that right after pressing the shutter, even when I was in the menu screen, and that happened, but not very often.

2nd one: Sometimes when I press buttons (like Play or Menu), and there is no response, so I had to press them again, and this is not very often either.

I don't remember that I ever had those 2 issues before I sent my M10-P in. I wonder if it has something to do with the very low battery? Have you guys encountered same things on your M10 or M10-P? Are they really issues?

Edited by clngood

Interesting...

I've never experienced issue #1 but I find that on my M10-P if I press hard (long press) on the menu and play buttons, nothing happens.

If I just tap (short press) those buttons they work all the time. 

I think its to prevent battery drain from accidental pressing while in a bag - I may be wrong 

8 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Interesting...

I've never experienced issue #1 but I find that on my M10-P if I press hard (long press) on the menu and play buttons, nothing happens.

If I just tap (short press) those buttons they work all the time. 

I think its to prevent battery drain from accidental pressing while in a bag - I may be wrong 

I know D- Pads on M240 and M240p often don't respond that well when you are scrolling in the menu.

I have a few times encountered the loading text on my standard M10. It just means that the camera is reading the memory card, so I dont think you need to worry about it, unless it somehow affects your shooting.

The reason may be that the camera is doing something else at the same time or that reading the card just takes longer than normally. This could be caused e.g. by the card file system being fragmented and/or the card being almost full. Size of card and speed may also affect read performance. I would test with a freshly formatted card to see if the behavior could be repated.

2 minutes ago, mujk said:

I have a few times encountered the loading text on my standard M10. It just means that the camera is reading the memory card, so I dont think you need to worry about it, unless it somehow affects your shooting.

The reason may be that the camera is doing something else at the same time or that reading the card just takes longer than normally. This could be caused e.g. by the card file system being fragmented and/or the card being almost full. Size of card and speed may also affect read performance. I would test with a freshly formatted card to see if the behavior could be repated.

Do you also have that even not after pressing the shutter? Like in the menu screen and then you press "Play", and loading appears?

I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB, and I always format the card after I get back home and store my photos.

Also, have you encountered issue 2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, bherman01545 said:

Is the camera running the latest firmware?  

When you format the SD card, do you format it on your computer or 'in-camera?'

Are you using the Visoflex 020 when this is occurring?

-Brad

Yeah, the latest firmware, and I always format it on my camera. I don't use Visoflex.

22 hours ago, clngood said:

Do you also have that even not after pressing the shutter? Like in the menu screen and then you press "Play", and loading appears?

I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB, and I always format the card after I get back home and store my photos.

Also, have you encountered issue 2?

It has happened only maybe a dozen times during the more than three years I have had my M10, so I'm not sure about the sequence. I think it may have happened a few times immediately after powering on when the camera is likely to be quite "busy".

Yes, I have encountered this button unresponsiveness as well a few times. If I remember correctly, pressing the button a second time has always worked. I also have the habit of half-pressing the shutter button in any situation where the camera doesn't seem to respond immediately, just to make sure it hasn't entered sleep. Maybe this clears some other issues as well?

In any case both issues occur extremely rarely for me, so I have not seen them as any problem. If you experience that the issues have become more frequent then something may actually be wrong or you have perhaps changed the way you shoot?

6 minutes ago, mujk said:

It has happened only maybe a dozen times during the more than three years I have had my M10, so I'm not sure about the sequence. I think it may have happened a few times immediately after powering on when the camera is likely to be quite "busy".

Yes, I have encountered this button unresponsiveness as well a few times. If I remember correctly, pressing the button a second time has always worked. I also have the habit of half-pressing the shutter button in any situation where the camera doesn't seem to respond immediately, just to make sure it hasn't entered sleep. Maybe this clears some other issues as well?

In any case both issues occur extremely rarely for me, so I have not seen them as any problem. If you experience that the issues have become more frequent then something may actually be wrong or you have perhaps changed the way you shoot?

Thank you for your feedback.The both issues are not that often,  I wonder if it has something to do with the very low battery? Expecially with button unresponsiveness issue?

1 hour ago, clngood said:

Thank you for your feedback.The both issues are not that often,  I wonder if it has something to do with the very low battery? Expecially with button unresponsiveness issue?

Hard to say. Usually digital circuits either work or are completely dead, which happens when the supply voltage drops below a certain level. And there is almost always some safeguards built in so that you receive a low battery message before the camera shuts down in a controlled way.

However, with my M9 I have had odd behaviour when battery voltage drops rapidly in very cold weather, but usually it is the shutter, which is an electromechanical component,  that stops working first.