SL2-s Image Stabilization function?

V23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could you please you Leica SL-2s gurus help me to understand following concerning Image stabilisation. I’ve used SL (601) with Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH, in this case lens provides IS function. 

Recently I purchased an SL2-s that has IBIS (works wonderfully with M lenses). Now, what I am unclear on is what does IS, is it the lens camera body or both? 

When I use my Panasonic L mount 4.0/70-200 lens in this case it is either or (lens or camera body), but not both, also I am unsure what would be an optimum IS function to use is it camera body or the lens? Any advise and explanation would be greatly appreciated.

With SL lenses you get both IBIS and OIS (In-Body Image Stabilisation and Optical Image Stabilisation i.e. in-lens stabilisation). I can't answer for Panasonic or Sigma lenses. I can see no point in not using both, but I suppose there may be glitches arising from a non-Leica brand interface.

6 hours ago, V23 said:

Could you please you Leica SL-2s gurus help me to understand following concerning Image stabilisation. I’ve used SL (601) with Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH, in this case lens provides IS function. 

Recently I purchased an SL2-s that has IBIS (works wonderfully with M lenses). Now, what I am unclear on is what does IS, is it the lens camera body or both? 

When I use my Panasonic L mount 4.0/70-200 lens in this case it is either or (lens or camera body), but not both, also I am unsure what would be an optimum IS function to use is it camera body or the lens? Any advise and explanation would be greatly appreciated.

With a SL2 + Leica lens you get both IBIS + lens stabilization combined together.

With SL2 + Panasonic or Sigma lenses you can get etiher IBIS or lens stabilization, not both. It's up to Leica to support Panasonic / Sigma's OIS.

With S1x/S5 + Leica lens I don't know.

In general, with telezooms OIS is better than IBIS and viceversa 

• Thanks 1

Question to this, as I would like to have the lens OIS on, and IBIS off, but it appears that with the SL2, you have stabilization ON or OFF, thus everything is ON or OFF IBIS and OIS.  Is there a way to just turn off IBIS with the 90-280, I would rather just try OIS.  With other brand cameras, you can usually turn off IBIS in the camera menu (Nikon or Fuji for example) and control OIS from the lens switch, sadly Leica has no manual controls on the lenses. 

Thanks

Paul 

5 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

Question to this, as I would like to have the lens OIS on, and IBIS off, but it appears that with the SL2, you have stabilization ON or OFF, thus everything is ON or OFF IBIS and OIS.  Is there a way to just turn off IBIS with the 90-280, I would rather just try OIS.  With other brand cameras, you can usually turn off IBIS in the camera menu (Nikon or Fuji for example) and control OIS from the lens switch, sadly Leica has no manual controls on the lenses. 

Thanks

Paul 

Paul2660 – This is a excellent suggestion, it should not be that difficult to implement via firmware, Leica please.

18 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you want to turn off IBIS but not OIS?