SL2-S w/Sigma MC-21 mount using Canon EF lenses - *issues with image stabilization menu option*

arshots

Advertisement (gone after registration)

just recently purchase the SL2-S with Sigma MC-21 mount converter and I noticed a few things that I wanted to put out just in case someone was attempting the same thing I am. I am a full Canon shooter and wanted to try the SL2-S at sports instead of just portraits so I purchased it. My DG Sigma Art Line 35mm works perfect with the SL2-S and the menu option of Image Stabilization is selectable. I can toggle it on and off with the Sigma lens, but when I attach my Canon 70-200 f2.8 III and also my Canon 400mm f2.8 III, that same menu selection is greyed out and NOT selectable. I also noticed that on the EF 400MM f2.8, it only goes down to f3.2 using the sigma adapter. BUT, when I attached the 70-200mm f2.8 , it stays at f2.8. So I don't know why it changes from the 200 to the 400. Going to test it today covering a two big baseball games to see how it operates.

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

If the lens has an IS switch then that's what controls the IS, so the menu item will be greyed out.

The MC-21 does not support AFC, at all. So it'll be single shot only. And Sigma make no claims that Canon lenses are compatible, only theirs with an EF mount.

Gordon

+1. See also 

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a cheap EF converter off Amazon and it doesn't have electronics, so I can't change aperture on EF lenses.
I have an old 80-200mm (Magic Drainpipe) will I be able to change the aperture using the Sigma MC-21 adapter? I'm not too fuss about auto-focus etc as it's for video purpose only...

Thanks

2 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I recently bought a cheap EF converter off Amazon and it doesn't have electronics, so I can't change aperture on EF lenses.
I have an old 80-200mm (Magic Drainpipe) will I be able to change the aperture using the Sigma MC-21 adapter? I'm not too fuss about auto-focus etc as it's for video purpose only...

Thanks

Sigma-21 works (focus, aperture and EXIF) with most EF-lenses, see https://www.sigma-global.com/en/accessories/mc-21/?tab=support&local=table&table_id=11867.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:15 AM, jonnyboy said:

Thanks

funny name "Drainpipe". you can change aperture on all EF lenses on the sigma, compatible list is more for AF, but if you are in MF you are ok

• 1 year later...

I am wondering other Tokina zoom lenses are AF compatible with SL2-S & MC-21.

Anyone tried Tokina 24-70mm f2.8 Pro lens?

I once tried it on SL601 (with MF) accidentally and results were quite satisfying. Honestly, surprised.

The result came out much better than Canon DSLR body.

It is interesting that some EF zoom lenses show much better resolution with SL body.

I also heard that EF 17-40mm f4 L lens works much better on SL body.

Maybe Leica’s M lens optimized sensor thickness matters?

I wish Tokina zoom works with SL2-S or SL3 :)

Edited by Ray Im