Leica SL2 on Sports & Wildlife Photography

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More big horns in field 

SL2 Sigma 150-600

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shawn30 said:

Title says wildlife but there’s so much about birds I wasn’t sure. Technically this is a BIF (big horn in field) SL2 Sigma 150-600  

All wildlife & Sports discussions & pics are welcome!

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:32 PM, Alexander SH said:

I use the SL2 for sport and wildlife with Leica 90-280 and Sigma 150-600. I think its awesome and I really love the simplicity of the SL2. Switched from the Nikon D4 and D850 wiith no regretion. It tracks the object well, but maybe not as easy as the A7 or R5. Eager to see if its any tracking improvement with the new firmware. But practice makes perfect. And i really like the Leica style in my pictures. So for me the SL is doing just perfect for sport and wildlife. 

Sorry, the only useful thing i have to say is wow! Great photo!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Artin said:

On this day was in the Cayman Islands had a few hours to myself to go out and shoot some birds .. I missed so manny opportunities of birds in flight because of the horrible AF on the SL2.  Most of the successful pictures were done in manual focus. 
 I have never used Sony. Just do not like them for nothing else but the size and the feel I am sure they are fine. I prefer large cameras I have very large hands so I loved the feel of the SL2 with a grip. And before the SL2. I used Nikon 810s with a grip.  As good as the 90-280 SL was it never replaced the type of images I got with the Nikon 400 2.8. 

You got a bird walking and that’s even better.. very cool shot

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artin said:

On this day was in the Cayman Islands had a few hours to myself to go out and shoot some birds .. I missed so manny opportunities of birds in flight because of the horrible AF on the SL2.  Most of the successful pictures were done in manual focus. 
 I have never used Sony. Just do not like them for nothing else but the size and the feel I am sure they are fine. I prefer large cameras I have very large hands so I loved the feel of the SL2 with a grip. And before the SL2. I used Nikon 810s with a grip.  As good as the 90-280 SL was it never replaced the type of images I got with the Nikon 400 2.8. 

The Z9 looks promising to set several industry benchmarks as a sports & wildlife camera. 

On 10/29/2021 at 3:23 AM, Artin said:

I have never used Sony. Just do not like them for nothing else but the size and the feel I am sure they are fine.  

Those were Sony`s two weak spots although the latest models are very much improved in that regard .

The feel doesn`t bother me but the old models were too small for my hands 

I had the first A7S (12mp) and the A7R2 both gone now but even those ancient models had stunning performance.

Never took to their RAW developer though.

I`ve just downloaded a new version today and its still a little over the top for what I want or need .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Artin said:

I bought an A7R .. retuned her 24 hours later ... picked up a Nikon Z7.  That lasted 14 days.  I just could not get used to having a small tiny body with a bazooka in front of them .. so my next venture was sell all Nikon gear and buy the SL2 .. loved it with M lenses even more with R lenses .. but when it came to my needs for long tele primes I just could not get used to the performance of a 400mm 2.8 with a sigma Mc 21.  It was like using a maxum 7000....well after using a 4002.8s and 600 F4s for more then 30 years on big SLRs.  You just get accustomed to a certain comfort level with them.. I just don’t think Leica wants to take the SL platform to that direction 

Yes my fingers were sore jammed into the grip of my A7r2 but they`re better now in that respect

Carrying  the SL2S across country every week though I`ve begun to appreciate the Sony`s smaller and lighter form factor.

The Leica platform is much more conservative in terms of its abilities and ,as you say , its direction.

I`ve decided  (more or less) to call it a day with the SL2s  although at my age I don`t think I want to jump into another system .

When I say call it a day I don`t intend to sell it but I`m not looking to expand the lens lineup.

I`ll stick with the Pany 70 -200 and my TL lenses

Its a lovely , lovely camera in so many ways it just doesn`t bring anything more to the table for me than the CL (or my M bodies).

Outside of that use case there are more accomplished and flexible platforms .

2 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

Frustratingly not quite there .

Edited by Michael Markey
  • Like 2

• Like 6

It's a subject that questions me ...
I took the SL2 as a wonderfull plateform for my R lenses (I keep a R6.2) butI am used to taking pictures of wildlife, not bif, with my Telyt-R 400 f4, and ask which autofocus lens could give me more.
I don't want to talk about the new 150-600 Sigma, but SL 90-280 or EF 300 f/2.8 + Sigma adaptor. 
Has anyone made rendering comparisons between the 280 R which dates from 1996 and the zoom SL from 2016, but zoom ...
Is it possible to think of the EF 300 f/2.8 II which seems one of the best, much better the the EF 400 f/4 DO,  but may be too sharp? 
Why a focal length limited to 300mm, for universality and the possibility of using the aps-c format on the SL2 ?
Thank you

• 3 months later...

SL2 Sigma 100-400. Mule Deer fawn

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Wildlife Photography existed already before Autofocus had been available. Nowadays people think, they only can get good results as long they have the "adequate or best" equipment. Yes, technique can help a lot. But Wildlife Photography is not limited to Canon, Sony, Nikon....you simply need a lot of experience to achieve good results. Most people here are hobby photographers and do not have that kind of experience like professionals have. We often forget that photography is a profession, something one has to learn intensively.

I agree that the SL-System is not the best choice for Wildlife Photography, especially for fast moving objects. But this does not mean, that it is the wrong choice. I do all kind of photography...Wildlife is only a part of it. And I know that I will never reach the skills of a professional wildlife photographer. That said, if you got out for several hours a month taking wildlife images you simply cannot get the skills you need for critical situations otherwise you're a genius.

Edited by DirkZ
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, DirkZ said:

I agree that the SL-System is not the best choice for Wildlife Photography, especially for fast moving objects. But this does not mean, that it is the wrong choice. I do all kind of photography...Wildlife is only a part of it. And I know that I will never reach the skills of a professional wildlife photographer. That said, if you got out for several hours a month taking wildlife images you simply cannot get the skills you need for critical situations otherwise you're a genius.

I started on wildlife  with an M3 Visoflex and Trombone Telyt 400 in 1988 Sports and Wildlife are two different branches of photography, each with their own requirements. In Wildlife photography manual skills  (both by photographer and gea) are needed, if you want the best results. I would prefer the SL over CaNikon offerings
In my - long - experience with wildlife photography AF performance is rather irrelevant. With an animal you will want to focus on the eye (teeth or beak as well) and any AF will be confused by feathers and fur. There are often branches or grass in the way which will confuse the AF system even more. Spot focus could work, but animals do move, so you will be chasing focus all the time. Tracking is of limited use, prefocus and trap release works better, except maybe for BIF. 
So I look for the system that offers the best manual correction of AF. Which the SL offers, as Leica's focus peaking is best in the industry. The EVF is excellent too. Match with the Sigma 150-600 which has very good ergonomics, a convenient focus ring with the correct throw for instance, and excellent IQ and you have  a system that is at the top end for wildlife.
The Canon and Nikon offerings are more competitive for sports, which does need a fast superior AF  system.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I started on wildlife  with an M3 Visoflex and Trombone Telyt 400 in 1988 Sports and Wildlife are two different branches of photography, each with their own requirements. In Wildlife photography manual skills  (both by photographer and gea) are needed, if you want the best results. I would prefer the SL over CaNikon offerings
In my - long - experience with wildlife photography AF performance is rather irrelevant. With an animal you will want to focus on the eye (teeth or beak as well) and any AF will be confused by feathers and fur. There are often branches or grass in the way which will confuse the AF system even more. Spot focus could work, but animals do move, so you will be chasing focus all the time. Tracking is of limited use, prefocus and trap release works better, except maybe for BIF. 
So I look for the system that offers the best manual correction of AF. Which the SL offers, as Leica's focus peaking is best in the industry. The EVF is excellent too. Match with the Sigma 150-600 which has very good ergonomics, a convenient focus ring with the correct throw for instance, and excellent IQ and you have  a system that is at the top end for wildlife.
The Canon and Nikon offerings are more competitive for sports, which does need a fast superior AF  system.

I do not think a single NatGeo photographer still uses MF for wildlife. I do not know of any professional wildlife photographer who may have started with MF that has not switched to AF for wildlife photography.
AF is often required for moving animals (flying, running, fighting, catching prey). Placing the single focus point manually (or maybe in a 3x3 configuration) and using BBF allows the same precision as MF but is much faster. AF can sometimes be fooled by foreground grasses and branches when MF is needed. But most of the time, it works best.

• Like 1

Of course one uses AF, I am not advocating sole manual focus. I said that manual correction is often needed, professional or not. And try to get an eye in a 3x3 focus point with a moving animal...  🙃 As for running, the pros that I met - and that includes for instance BBC guys- like to focus on a patch of ground and wait for the animal to pass it. That calls for deep knowledge of animal behaviour. Another trick taught to me by professionals is focus lock on the grass next to the animal, not attempt to perform AF on its fur. How many two or more-week safaris have you been on? Presently I am planning # 32...

47 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Of course one uses AF, I am not advocating sole manual focus. I said that manual correction is often needed, professional or not. And try to get an eye in a 3x3 focus point with a moving animal...  🙃 As for running, the pros that I met - and that includes for instance BBC guys- like to focus on a patch of ground and wait for the animal to pass it. That calls for deep knowledge of animal behaviour. Another trick taught to me by professionals is focus lock on the grass next to the animal, not attempt to perform AF on its fur. How many two or more-week safaris have you been on? Presently I am planning # 32...

Regarding my wildlife photography, I have been on two safaris (one for four weeks and one for two weeks) guided by Frans Lanting. Also, I have been to Antarctica three times, to South Georgia and Falklands four times, once to Pantanal, twice to Galapagos, once to Svaldbard, and three times to Japan (Hokkaido in winter).
Anticipation and knowledge of animals' behavior are essential to successful wildlife photography. But that does not mean that one should use MF whenever possible. For example, focus locking on the grass next to the animal oten works best/fastest with AF and BBF. Therefore, I use AF when possible (almost always), but I always specify where the camera should focus. 
I am now experimenting with the new subject detection algorithms (the camera decides where to focus) and wonder if they can improve my wildlife photography. In some situations, e.g., the animal catching prey or birds in flight, manually placing the focus point is too slow or unreliable.

• Like 11

I never said that one should use MF wherever possible. On the contrary. I am talking about correcting AF when needed . If one works that way the ease and precision of manual correction becomes an important consideration. That is where the SL comes in. Using focus peaking to place DOF precisely when using the grass is best done manually after the AF has locked.
I have animal detection in my Panasonic S. I am not impressed so far. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Still love my SL2 for bird wildlifephotography. AF could be faster, but works pretty good with both Leica 90-280 and Sigma 150-600.

Some shared photoes on Flickr. More to come: 

• Like 8

I was experimenting AF tracking, or just AF runner setting with face AF. Lots of hit and miss.

but I got all the Winners of the mens race. 90-280 on SL2

• Like 10