Leica SL2 on Sports & Wildlife Photography

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I was experimenting AF tracking, or just AF runner setting with face AF. Lots of hit and miss.

but I got all the Winners of the mens race. 90-280 on SL2

Nice shots.  They reflect my experience that the AF-C performance of the current SL bodies is better than internet lore would have one believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's my perspective on tools for wildlife photography, based on 50+ years of experience.

IMHO the right tool is the one that helps you get what you want from the experience.  It might be the photos, or the tactile feedback from the tools, the challenge of making a pleasing photo... there are many ways to define the experience.

The tools people have used over the years have evolved as technology permitted.  Elliot Porter used a 4x5 camera, Kodachrome sheet film and lots of lighting.  His BIF images were limited to birds leaving the nest.

I started BIF with the Leicaflex SL and 400mm f/6.8 sliding-focus Telyt.  Loved using the camera, loved the photos I made with it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Beyond the Leicaflex SL and 400mm Telyt, manual focus didn't work well for me.  The SL's viewfinder and the Telyt's crisply-defined plane of force were marvelous.  IIRC up until AF became practical the lens of choice for wildlife, birds in particular, was the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt, often adapted to fit a motorized Nikon or Canon.

I used manual-focus lenses with the R8/DMR and had some success, here with the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt, but the success rate by modern standards was low.

Edited by telyt
  • Like 5

I was not satisfied with the accuracy and image area coverage of AF systems on SLR cameras, either film or digital (I called it a kludge) so I never fully embraced AF until practical mirrorless cameras became available.  These were made with a Sony a7rII or a7rIII (I don't recall which) with the Sony 100-400mm GMaster.  Nothing really special, but it worked reasonably well.

I didn't warm up to these cameras but they did the job.  I found the "Sony colors" were at least as much a function of the raw conversion as of the camera.  The raw files converted by Adobe Camera Raw were not satisfactory, I much prefer the conversions by Capture 1.

• Like 3

I added the Sony 600mm GMaster to the kit and it has become my primary lens by a huge margin but the AF of the a7rIII had some weaknesses.

• Like 6

When the Sony a1 became available it's specs appealed to me: the AF system recognizes and locks onto the bird's (or animal's) eye and tracks it all over the image area.  It finds the bird in dense brush or in deep shadow, finds the eye and doesn't let go.  Not perfect but a compete game changer compared with anything before it.

The a1's menus can be daunting but most of the choices can be ignored.  I set the camera up based on Mark Smith's setup (he has a youtube video explaining how and why) and the camera with this setup is a dream to use.  It's the first camera since the Leicaflex SL I've truly enjoyed using.

Edited by telyt
  • Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The a1 + 600 GMaster is capable of much more than Ducks In Flight or Raptors In Flight.  The AF finds the bird, lock onto it and doesn't let go even if it's a fast erratic flier or even flies outside the image area for a moment.

I only used the Leica SL & 90-280 APO for a few months but in that time I concluded it wasn't the camera that would produce the results I wanted.  Beautiful camera, a great experience in the hand, optically the lens is incomparable, but it wasn't capable of producing the photos I wanted.

Edited by telyt
  • Like 5

I'll say it again: the a1 has been the most enjoyable camera I've used since the Leicaflex SL.  Not just the extraordinarily fast & accurate Bird Eye AF, not just the small body with good ergonomics, there's also the 50 MP, up to 30 frames/sec that allows me to choose the photos with the right wing position and without a blinking eye, the completely silent electronic shutter with negligible rolling shutter distortion, the customizability that makes the camera work the way I want it to, and with the right raw conversion processing the great colors.  Any camera can be used for wildlife and BIF but this one has been far more productive than others by an order of magnitude and is a pleasure to use as well.

Edited by telyt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did some experimentation with the recent UCI World Championships in Wollongong, Australia. I played around a bit with both AFs and AFc. I mostly used the default Runner AF Profile and continuous Medium Speed. I soon realised that for the Road Race a week later I would need a much faster SD card (300 MB/s). This is US rider Neilson Powless in the Individual Time trial. SL2 + V-E 24-90 (handheld) - I'll try to find a shot or two with the 90-280.

• Like 1

This shot is from the Road Race with the SL2 and 90-280. Shown are Wout van Aert (BEL) in front of Jai Hindley (AUS). I was pretty pleased with the shots I made from both days with the SL2.

• Like 2

Just one more from this championship because I really liked this one. It shows Tadej Pogačar (SLO) in the Individual Time trial. With the SL2 and 24-90. I am pretty sure this would have been using AFc.

• Like 3

Osprey SL2+Sigma150-600+1,4Ext.

• Like 6

On 9/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, sillbeers15 said:

The fun is in the challenge as BIF is one of the most challenging aspects of photography. It has got nothing to do with SL series camera in terms of sharpness in pics. erhaps Perhaps you can enlighten us with your 'sharp' BIF pics?

Ok Boys….IMHO the sharpest pictures of birds in flight have been taken more often than not on a Nikon with their 500mm lens. I think it comes down to the lens, and no your not going to get the same image quality with a sigma zoom.  Not at a subject distance  that would require 500-600mm, and the same thing goes for the Sony zoom they arn’t comparable to Nikon’s super telephoto primes. 

On 9/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, Boojay said:

To me a good BIF image needs retention of feather detail as well as a sharpish eye, I'm not seeing much of that, in my images or those of others.  Some beautiful ones of static birds.  I have been trying pretty hard with the SL2 and Sigma lens and even with latest firmware it's a struggle (for me anyway).  I'll post a couple of my better efforts but they are not great.  If I'm going somewhere special to shoot wildlife/birds and it matters it will be the R6, as much as I appreciate my SL2 it's not the tool.  I'm not saying it can't do it, but as the pro in the video, Rick May said, it's iAF is a bit "hit and miss"  I'm not getting consistent results with any settings for BIF yet, still happy to have the Sigma 150-600 and not blaming the lens for my failures.

This second shot is actually one of the nicest pics I’ve seen from the sigma zoom. I like the tonal gradation, the lighting on the bird, and the composition. If I were to change anything I might adjust the luminance on the beak to make it even brighter, but that’s more of a personal preference. Overall Nice Shot! It looks like it was an enjoyable shoot, and a rewarding capture !

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:57 AM, michali said:

Possibly comprehension may be part of the problem?

What in my use of the words-  "Personally I find many of the "better-than-Leica" Japanese cameras to be a soulless shooting experience"  do you not understand?

"soullesss shooting experience...."  certainly  does not relate to the images, but to the experience of shooting, with some hyper-feature-laden cameras.

That's my personal opinion and view. You don't have to agree, and you also don't need to try and belabour your points by repeating them.  Especially when you've not understood the context in which my comments are made.

These discussions invariably end up descending into ridiculous, childish spats, that's why I find it's best to stay out.

Enough said, back to birds:

These images were all taken with MF lenses, a combination of:  SL2 & Carl Zeiss 300mm f2.8 APO-Tessar  & SL with Leica R 280mm f4 APO

(please click on images for better res.)

Crowned Eagle 

White-winged Tern

White-winged Tern

Crowned Eagle has motion blur…this is an example of to slow of shutter speed.

‘White wing Tern … blown highlight on neck with complete loss of information, no use of exposure compensation dial.

Last image poor timing resulted incomplete capture of subject, incorrect f stop lacking the appropriate depth of field 

This work would grade from  C to C minus in my class. The third image would not be acceptable as a successful capture.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, sillbeers15 said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You do not need to agree with me.

I would like to share my thoughts & rational now after learning and experiencing BIF along the way with SL then now SL2 and i am sure my thoughts will continue to evolve as I pick up more experience. Like all beginners I started setting up my gear to my best knowledge over AF settings and think that so long as I can get the shots I surely can get some shots that are acceptable. After years and months of shooting and discarding thousands of images I started to be selective even before I trigger. I also derived my own AF/MF settings on different situations. These days I do not bother to even trigger when subject is not in the position I desire. In situation when the BIF subject appears in prictable position and distance, the AF Tracking mode can be deployed to let the camera AF lock-on to subject. However when there is very little time to respond and subject can suddenly appear from unpredictable location, the dot sight is the only possible device for me to locate the kingfisher as it approach me in a close distance. For this shot I visited the scene continuously every afternoon over 5 days as only the afternoon sun was favourable. Only on the fifth day, subject appeared. I only managed to snap 3 shots with 2 shots with subject only partially in frame. Almost every BIF photographer here is equiped with one over their Sonys, Nikon & Canon. If you had used the do sight device and conclude it as rubbish, I would respect your view. However concluding it without a try can be your lost. I have posted the shot before and am posting it again.

This shows motion blur from an incorrect choice of too low of shutter speed. The focus on the eye looks like it would have been fine should you have chosen 1/4000 to 1/6000 SS