Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, mmanda said:

I finally heard back. Needs a new mirror and CLA.  Lens needs some TLC too. It does have some fungus, they said if they can’t clean it up to be usable there’ll be no charge. All up costing about $800 AUD  it’s all labor and a $25 part.  The Tech said it’s a lovely camera and worth the repair. No idea when I’ll get it back. 

Thanks for the update. That sounds reasonable to me. I am sure you can enjoy the camera for many years after the service. The rangefinder should have much better contrast afterwards. I will drop off my II as well.

• Like 1

Roland Zwiers:-    I found this topic which is quite instructive " photrio.com/forum/threads/leica-filca-and-ixmoo-reloadable-film cassettes-186364/ ". Had to type this in by hand; Leica Forum does not like its structure.  As an addition the little knob, which opens the cassette when the baseplate is locked, on the IXMOO is chromium plated and that on the FILCA is either black or plain brass (wear?).

Edited by Jerry Attrik
added data

• 4 weeks later...

I received my Leica IIIc back after CLA. Everything feels very smooth now. No comparison to before. Already bought some new films.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

On 7/5/2023 at 6:42 AM, mmanda said:

The first roll I’ll ask the repair place to load for me.  That way I’ll hopefully get to have some actual photos from my first roll without stuffing up loading the film! 

Loading the camera isn't rocket science! The important thing to note is trimming the film leader. Once trimmed, there are several ways to load the film into the camera. Just take your time. and when the baseplate is reattached, take the slack out of the film before shooting, watch to ensure the rewind knob rotates when advancing the film, all should be good. I'd encourage you to prepare a sacrificial roll to get everything down pat...yes it wastes a roll (I'd use cheap expired film for this), but you quickly develop the technique which works best for you so you don't waste actual shots. And don't forget to remove the lens cap before shooting....a common issue for new rangefinder users. Good luck and enjoy your camera.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 10:44 PM, spydrxx said:

Loading the camera isn't rocket science! The important thing to note is trimming the film leader. Once trimmed, there are several ways to load the film into the camera. Just take your time. and when the baseplate is reattached, take the slack out of the film before shooting, watch to ensure the rewind knob rotates when advancing the film, all should be good. I'd encourage you to prepare a sacrificial roll to get everything down pat...yes it wastes a roll (I'd use cheap expired film for this), but you quickly develop the technique which works best for you so you don't waste actual shots. And don't forget to remove the lens cap before shooting....a common issue for new rangefinder users. Good luck and enjoy your camera.

Lucky I did ask them to load the first roll for me. The spool was getting stuck in the camera and further adjustments were required whilst I waited.  I have an aftermarket spool it seems, it’s ok now after some grinding it pops right out as it should!

Ok first roll back from processing. I’m not sure what to make of this at all,  more practice needed.  

Here’s a shot unedited (from me anyways). 

Edited by mmanda
  • Like 2

Repainted and rechromed 111 with 40mm Heliar. The blacks suit each other.

• Like 8

In a similar vein. I just picked up a Voigtlander 21mm f/4 Color-Skopar. The fact that today I can still attach it to a camera body first manufactured in 1929 is pretty neat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A cheap rough Leica Standard just came in the post and the shutter sounds good, will find out how good when I put a film in it. Have banged off an e mail to Leica for any records they have as it appears to be from 1940-42, no military markings but it would be good if it had some wartime history.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 3

I posted the following in a separate thread in the Collectors & Historica forum but since I don't deep dive into the history and certainly not collecting for collecting's sake, I think this thread may be more appropriate for my "Barnack love". I've asked the mods. to delete my previous post elsewhere.

So...

Being fortunate enough own a Stereoly system it's been fun to take the 1930s-style stereoscopic images it creates and view them with a 1930s stereoscopic viewer (viz: View-Master). It works!

• Like 4

On 8/27/2023 at 3:34 PM, Pyrogallol said:

Repainted and rechromed 111 with 40mm Heliar. The blacks suit each other.

A couple of darkroom prints from this camera and lens. Le Roc bistro at Southwold harbour. HP5 in Perceptol.

• Like 5

On 8/31/2023 at 7:43 PM, Pyrogallol said:

A cheap rough Leica Standard just came in the post and the shutter sounds good, will find out how good when I put a film in it. Have banged off an e mail to Leica for any records they have as it appears to be from 1940-42, no military markings but it would be good if it had some wartime history.

Very quick reply from Leitz. Delivery date 25-7-1941 but no other details on delivery or repairs.

• 3 months later...

So many Beautiful cameras on this post! 

Here are my Barnacks:

Standard, III, IIIa, IIIb, IIc, IIIf, IIIg, All with the lenses that came with. I use all of them all the time and hardly I could say about a favourite. 

Behind them a great accessory, the FOOMA - to load Leitz cassetes at daylight. Accept 100 meters rolls, so it’s easier to handle a 400 feet Double-X. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, maxspbr said:

So many Beautiful cameras on this post! 

Here are my Barnacks:

Standard, III, IIIa, IIIb, IIc, IIIf, IIIg, All with the lenses that came with. I use all of them all the time and hardly I could say about a favourite. 

Behind them a great accessory, the FOOMA - to load Leitz cassetes at daylight. Accept 100 meters rolls, so it’s easier to handle a 400 feet Double-X. 

FOOVA, not FOOMA! 

My newest pickup! A Leica IIa Sync model with chrome fittings. Looks to be a later conversion from the 50s. I was casually looking for a Sync model to add to my small collection, and this one I ended up getting for a decent price. Shutter looks and sounds great; I've got my collapsible Summicron and SBOOI on there waiting for its first test roll! Funny enough, it's baseplate locking mechanism was left nickel, the only nickel thing left. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...