Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, romualdo said:

I've never really understood that either

Thinking about it, I wonder whether people think it may protect against claims that it's a lost or stolen camera and should be returned to a previous owner.  Without the full sn no such claim could be made.

11 hours ago, MarkP said:

Thinking about it, I wonder whether people think it may protect against claims that it's a lost or stolen camera and should be returned to a previous owner.  Without the full sn no such claim could be made.

I wonder if that has ever happend?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Leica IIIF black dial from the 1951/52 batch. It's fitted with a coated Summitar with 10 aperture blades from 1949 and a VIOOH finder. It works without a hitch, film loading is not quite standard but once you know what to do it works every time.

I bought it for two reasons apart from the obvious that they are beautiful and tiny, much tinier than you think seeing pictures. Everyone thinks it is new. I kid you not.

First, I wanted to see just how easy or difficult it was for people like Bresson and Eisenstadt to take pictures. Actually, it grows on you and because you have to pay attention it becomes immersive.

Second, due to their much lower price, it was a way to check whether the dealer provided quality products before outlaying for an M, the dealer has a brick and mortar shop but I was purchasing online.

One more observation, if you shoot 400TX or HP5+ then all the comments about Summitars giving soft edges turn out to be irrelevant.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

‘O’ Serie Prototype 2 replica

• Like 5

I also like her and sometimes I take pictures with her.

France Nord

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should say "I loved my Barnack". For my 15th birthday (1971) my father gave me his IIIf and an Elmar 50/3.5. He probably figured it was about time I learned "real" photography.

Around 1973 I added an Elmar 90/4, which completed my system until 1978 when the IIIf body was exchanged for an M2. I would have loved to keep the IIIf but as a poor student I needed the 300 DM the shop offered for it when buying a used M2 for 600 DM (the cheapest he had, no self timer and some dents/marks on the top/bottom plate but mechanically in excellent condition). The M2 and two LTM lenses (equiped with genuine Leica LTM to M adapters) are still used by me today. 

I found some proof of me with my IIIf while scanning some old negatives, this was never printed when I took the photo ~1974. It's a selfie in the mirror above the wash basin in my room and mirrored so it shows the right way around. It was probably never printed because of severe motion blur but pulling the scan through Topaz Sharpen AI turned it into something half presentable, which I will do here :)

IIIf + Elmar 90/4, I guess f4 and a shutter time way too long for handholding a 90 mm lens. FP4 developed in Rodinal or Microphen

Edited by pegelli
  • Like 13

Thanks a lot for your beautiful story  pegelli – and lucky man! I got a Braun Paxette in 1977 from my father. A Leica M2 (with Elmar 2,8 50mm from 1964) later, for the work for Newspapers. Workhorse for that Time, for me, was the Canon ftb / F1. Here is a photo from my DUKA creative phase 😉 in the 70s with the Braun Paxette.

Sorry for the Paxette here, it isn‘t a Barnack, but a nice Rangefinder Camera too.

• Like 2

Leica DII Chrome + SCNOO Rapid winder

Hektor 2.8cm f6.3 + SUUOQ Viewfinder

I bought back a DII, and now I feel like buying an elmar 3.5cm and an elmar 5cm again : p 

• Like 6

On 1/5/2023 at 3:10 AM, Panfoto said:

I also like her and sometimes I take pictures with her.

France Nord

Can you teach me how to shoot this? What is your process? I have used one in a camera shop and simply cannot figure it out ahah such a beautiful camera though!

Yes it is a beautiful little Camera and it works well.

Here you can read and download the Instruction manual in german and english.

http://www.donaldingram.com/RFF/Leica_OSeriesManual.pdf

Hope it is helpfull for you!

Another shoot with my Leica 0-Serie Replica. Time travel – back to the past.

Edited by Panfoto
  • Like 4

'O' Serie Prototype 2 Oskar Barnack edition.

Edale Valley, Peak District.  Delta 100 in DDX 1:4 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

'O' Serie Prototype 2 Oskar Barnack edition.

Edale Valley, Peak District.  Delta 100 in DDX 1:4 

Sorry for another question but what's the difference between the regular replica & the barnack edition?

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

Sorry for another question but what's the difference between the regular replica & the barnack edition?

The first edition had a gunsight and frame that has to be flipped up to compose the image.  The camera has to be held away from your eye with this method.

The second prototype was released as a Limited Edition of 1000 to commemorate Barnack's birthday and is a faithful copy of his personal camera from 1923. The 'O' Serie Prototype 2 Oskar Barnack edition has a fixed reverse galilean viewfinder on the top for composing the image more conventionally with the camera at your eye, just as you would with any modern shoe-mounted external viewfinder.

The workmanship on both editions is beautiful, surprisingly weighty and they're tiny even compared to the later production line Barnack cameras such as iiic, iiif etc. 

The real surprise with both these limited edition cameras is the fixed, scale focus 50mm f3.5 anastigmat lens.  Given that the lens design is over 100 years old, the image quality is absolutely outstanding.  I wish Leica would re issue it!  The only difference from the original lens is multi coating on the limited edition version.

Barnack's own 'O' Serie camera was sold at auction for over $15m last year.

ETA: Oh yeah, as pointed out below, there is a headshot of Barnack on the back of the Prototype 2 to commemorate his 125th birthday (as of 2004 when the limited edition was released) as the inventor of 35mm stills photography, but you can't see old Barnack when the camera is in the leather case it should come with if you can find a set for sale. ;)

Obviously something like that would give a collector apoplexy and maybe the very thought of a replica would have the same effect, but I'm a photographer and I really enjoy using the 'O' Serie replica with all it's early quirks.  You need to think carefully when using it because it isn't like any other camera you use. 

Two golden rules:

1.  Remember to cap the lens with the attached suede lens cap before winding on and rewinding because the shutter won't do it for you.

2. Don't wind on until you have set your exposure because you can't change the shutter slit width when the shutter is cocked.

Last time I looked, Aperture in London have an 'O' Serie 1st prototype replica set for sale for under £1500 and you can always stick an external viewfinder in the cold shoe on top of the camera if the flip-up frame method of composing is a backward step too far.

If you buy one, accept that it will bite you if you don't follow it's rules and you will lose the odd frame, but the payback from the lens and the construction is just so sweet.  When everything goes right, you'll see it in the images you create and you cant help but like these prototype replicas.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

The first edition had a gunsight and frame that has to be flipped up to compose the image.  The camera has to be held away from your eye with this method.

The second prototype was released as a Limited Edition of 1000 to commemorate Barnack's birthday and is a faithful copy of his personal camera from 1923. The 'O' Serie Prototype 2 Oskar Barnack edition has a fixed reverse galilean viewfinder on the top for composing the image more conventionally with the camera at your eye, just as you would with any modern shoe-mounted external viewfinder.

The workmanship on both editions is beautiful, surprisingly weighty and they're tiny even compared to the later production line Barnack cameras such as iiic, iiif etc. 

The real surprise with both these limited edition cameras is the fixed, scale focus 50mm f3.5 anastigmat lens.  Given that the lens design is over 100 years old, the image quality is absolutely outstanding.  I wish Leica would re issue it!  The only difference from the original lens is multi coating on the limited edition version.

Barnack's own 'O' Serie camera was sold at auction for over $15m last year.

ETA: Oh yeah, as pointed out below, there is a headshot of Barnack on the back of the Prototype 2 to commemorate his 125th birthday (as of 2004 when the limited edition was released) as the inventor of 35mm stills photography, but you can't see old Barnack when the camera is in the leather case it should come with if you can find a set for sale. ;)

Obviously something like that would give a collector apoplexy and maybe the very thought of a replica would have the same effect, but I'm a photographer and I really enjoy using the 'O' Serie replica with all it's early quirks.  You need to think carefully when using it because it isn't like any other camera you use. 

Two golden rules:

1.  Remember to cap the lens with the attached suede lens cap before winding on and rewinding because the shutter won't do it for you.

2. Don't wind on until you have set your exposure because you can't change the shutter slit width when the shutter is cocked.

Last time I looked, Aperture in London have an 'O' Serie 1st prototype replica set for sale for under £1500 and you can always stick an external viewfinder in the cold shoe on top of the camera if the flip-up frame method of composing is a backward step too far.

If you buy one, accept that it will bite you if you don't follow it's rules and you will lose the odd frame, but the payback from the lens and the construction is just so sweet.  When everything goes right, you'll see it in the images you create and you cant help but like these prototype replicas.

Final question, sorry! Can you use a rangefinder attachment such as the HFOOK that was available for leica I and standard, etc. on these replica models as well? Or only zone focus will do? (Cc @Pyrogallol)

Edited by shirubadanieru

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Ouroboros:

The only difference from the original lens is multi coating on the limited edition version.

AFIK, the lens in the first and second limited editions was newly computed at the time, and essentially corresponds to a "modern" Elmar 3.5/50 lens (very similar to the modern Elmar-M 2.8/50 lens, but limited to f3.5 for historical reasons). It is a 4 element 3 group design. 

Since this lens came out, I am longing (and many others as well) for a special screwmount edition of that lens, but so far Leica has not heard us 🙂.

Edited by wizard
correction

19 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Final question, sorry! Can you use a rangefinder attachment such as the HFOOK that was available for leica I and standard, etc. on these replica models as well? Or only zone focus will do? (Cc @Pyrogallol)

Yes, you can use a rangefinder in the accessory shoe on the replicas. Zone focus isn't quick as the lens has no depth of field scale, only distance markings. However, with some depth of field tables to hand you could work out the aperture/focus zone.

Alan