Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok you guys inspired me, so I went ahead and purchased a rangefinder-less Leica. Was torn between getting the replica or going with the Leica Model A, but decided on the Model A (will share pictures soon). 

For those of you who use an A or any other rangefinder-less Leicas, do you have any tips on how you use the camera? Do you use the rangefinder attachment most of the time, or do you zone-focus at F12.5 ~ F18? What about close distances? Given that a 50mm is not a 28mm, it’s not as straightforward to zone focus. I’m also guessing these early shutters are not the most precise, so do you avoid using 1/500? Anyway, would love to hear your experience and tips when you have the time. Thank you!

Edited by shirubadanieru

8 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Ok you guys inspired me, so I went ahead and purchased a rangefinder-less Leica. Was torn between getting the replica or going with the Leica Model A, but decided on the Model A (will share pictures soon). 

For those of you who use an A or any other rangefinder-less Leicas, do you have any tips on how you use the camera? Do you use the rangefinder attachment most of the time, or do you zone-focus at F12.5 ~ F18? What about close distances? Given that a 50mm is not a 28mm, it’s not as straightforward to zone focus. I’m also guessing these early shutters are not the most precise, so do you avoid using 1/500? Anyway, would love to hear your experience and tips when you have the time. Thank you!

Zone focus. Using a separate rangefinder is a bit of palaver. You can always transfer readings from another rangefinder on a separate camera( e.g. LTM or M) if you are using that at the same time. Be careful about feet and meters, of course. Good luck with the A. I have quite a few of them. The nice thing about them is that you are using cameras and lenses that were used in the 1920s and 30s, something you do not get with replicas, however well they may be made. The sense of using an earlier ‘eye’ is definitely there. 

William 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

I have a Leica Standard, and use it with a Nikkor 2.8cm f/3.5, which matches the camera for looks and is tiny, and a matching Nippon Kogaku 2.8cm viewfinder. With that focal length and aperture I don't worry about precision focusing, though I have an approximate idea by feel where the focus lock tab should be for 5m (6 o'clock) and 3m (5 o'clock). I haven't done close-ups with it. I posted a few pictures with this combination [Correction: those images are with the Leica Standard, but with the Summitar 5cm. I shall post some with the Nikkor later today] in the LTM thread yesterday.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have a Leica Standard, and use it with a Nikkor 2.8cm f/3.5, which matches the camera for looks and is tiny, and a matching Nippon Kogaku 2.8cm viewfinder. With that focal length and aperture I don't worry about precision focusing, though I have an approximate idea by feel where the focus lock tab should be for 5m (6 o'clock) and 3m (5 o'clock). I haven't done close-ups with it. I posted a few pictures with this combination [Correction: those images are with the Leica Standard, but with the Summitar 5cm. I shall post some with the Nikkor later today] in the LTM thread yesterday.

D'oh! Correction again. Those photos I linked to are with the Nikkor 3.5cm f/2.5, not either the Summitar nor the Nikkor 2.5cm! I'm going to have to correct it in that thread as well.

• Haha 1

Most people have their own built in bio-rangefinder, two eyes. For most medium and longer distance pictures I can estimate the distance near enough, at medium apertures. For close up pictures it is not the ideal camera but you could use a tape measure. There seems to be a fashion for very closeup, very wide aperture pictures and the bokeh that comes from some lenses. And with that comes the regular discussion of focus shift.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nf3996 said:

Yes, you can use a rangefinder in the accessory shoe on the replicas. Zone focus isn't quick as the lens has no depth of field scale, only distance markings. However, with some depth of field tables to hand you could work out the aperture/focus zone.

Alan

Estimating distance isn't difficult with a bit of practice, but it helps if you have experience of field archery! 

No real need for a rangefinder with these cameras, I would hate having one attached to the cold shoe as it would spoil the whole experience of using what is a tiny and exquisitely made camera.  Just use it and learn. 

If you genuinely need critical focus on a sitter's pupil at 1m and f3.5, you're using the wrong camera.

• Like 1

A few Barnacks having a chat & my latest purchase in my hand :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

& here it is again! just finished my first roll, mostly estimating focus, let's see what comes out! 

• Like 9

Eye balling it works! All shot guessing the distance, at f3.5 1/60. Only the MFD one where I needed critical focus were focused using the accessory rangefinder. 

Amazing lens, hard to believe it’s close to 100 years old. Really happy with this camera, thanks everyone for inspiring me! 

• Like 7

Above shots at MFD, below shots guessing distance at 5m + mostly. Same settings, f3.5 1/60, minus the night shot which I believe was at 1/20. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I find shooting by distance (a true rangefinder in  that sense) is almost faster and easier than modern rangefinders. I have a Barnack 1 Model A.... I love it.  I just picked up the attachment and haven't used it, other than seeing how it works on the camera etc. But I can see where, while it might look clumsy, it does work and it takes the guessing out of estimating although really, estimating distance is not that hard. I shot a few rolls of film estimating distance and just about all of my shots came out in focus, so I was happy....

I really enjoy the look of old photography, so why not shoot with old camera + lens 🙂 In fact I am thinking of taking this one down to Australia instead of my MA!....  jim

Edited by lmans
  • Like 8

My black and nickel beauties 🥰

I think the all-nickel VIDOM is not seen so often:

• Like 11

Reporting back after playing with the 1A for a while! I did love the camera, the most beautiful barnack ever & produced great results! It also made me realize I can actually guess a lot easier that I thought possible! That being said, I do a lot of family portraits wide open, etc & it simply was too annoying to use the rangefinder attachment or to 'guess' with the probability of failure being higher when shot at f3.5 (film is not cheap these days you know hehe)!

So, while I loved it, I decided to exchange it for the first Barnack model I tried & fell in love with, the Model D (II). Beautiful camera & a pleasure to use! I think this is the Barnack for me :) Paired with an early type Elmar 50mm (uses a different glass from regular post 1930 Elmars).

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Reporting back after playing with the 1A for a while! I did love the camera, the most beautiful barnack ever & produced great results! It also made me realize I can actually guess a lot easier that I thought possible! That being said, I do a lot of family portraits wide open, etc & it simply was too annoying to use the rangefinder attachment or to 'guess' with the probability of failure being higher when shot at f3.5 (film is not cheap these days you know hehe)!

So, while I loved it, I decided to exchange it for the first Barnack model I tried & fell in love with, the Model D (II). Beautiful camera & a pleasure to use! I think this is the Barnack for me :) Paired with an early type Elmar 50mm (uses a different glass from regular post 1930 Elmars).

I placed an order for a very similar combo just yesterday. I really miss the II model…

• 2 weeks later...

My DII and Elmar early type

• Like 1