50mm Summicron v.5 vs. 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH v.3

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Concerning flare, I did have the thing in almost with dozen(s) of 50mm in M and LTM.( even the MATE at 50mm is flarey ).

The less flarey in contre-jour situation is Elmar 3.5/5cm + Fikus hood, even the one not coated,

strange that this four element Triplet created almost one century ago weighting a bit over 100g can do what newer lenses can not.

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

It may be worthwile not to look only at the lens when you search for the reasons of veiling flare:

I think there are more reports about the 50mm Summicron which complain about the issue than about the Summilux. 

Yes, I know the camera can produce flare as well. But it's a little strange then, that my 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH v.2 almost doesn't flare at all on the same camera, even though I've heard this lens can be very prone to flare. 

41 minutes ago, Stephen.s1 said:

It won't fix the problem, but I wonder how LR Dehaze helps it.

Local adjustments with Dehaze tool is my most used weapon against this kind of flare.

Edited by evikne

10 hours ago, Stephen.s1 said:

The information and opinions rendered on this thread have driven me to eBay..  No dearth there of this particular lens.,.and the prices!!  Probably enough for me to actually buy a Leica lens.. Stay tuned..

Which particular lens, Stephen ?

How about the 50mm f2 Planar ZM? Zeiss seems to have always had a bit of an edge with their T* coating, and this is a less expensive, well-built and high performing lens with a classic formula. I have not used it directly, so I cannot say for sure, but it would be one place I would investigate. Perhaps also the 50mm Summarit, as the Summarit line has non-asph formulas with up to date coatings and very good performance...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...