For those with both the S3 and M10R...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the S3 and M10R are based on the same sensor, have you all found that the color and rendition are similar? Or does the M have its own color tuning? I am just curious, as I am not a huge fan of the color tuning that Adobe did for the S3 in Lightroom. I know I can use C1, but honestly, I have been using Lightroom for years and am unable to leave it, as all my business is on it as well. I am just curious as to whether the M10R has a similar "look". The S3 seems to have a bit of midtone contrast applied and desaturation in the shadows and a distinctly non-neutral rendering in Lightroom as compared to C1 and or a custom profile, so I am just curious to see if the M10R has this look as well. I know samples are available in some places, I am just curious to hear from users of both to see if they have noticed anything.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

5 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Since the S3 and M10R are based on the same sensor, have you all found that the color and rendition are similar? Or does the M have its own color tuning? I am just curious, as I am not a huge fan of the color tuning that Adobe did for the S3 in Lightroom. I know I can use C1, but honestly, I have been using Lightroom for years and am unable to leave it, as all my business is on it as well. I am just curious as to whether the M10R has a similar "look". The S3 seems to have a bit of midtone contrast applied and desaturation in the shadows and a distinctly non-neutral rendering in Lightroom as compared to C1 and or a custom profile, so I am just curious to see if the M10R has this look as well. I know samples are available in some places, I am just curious to hear from users of both to see if they have noticed anything.

There are several Adobe profiles for the S3 - the usual cast of characters (Vivid, Landscape, Neutral...) and one specific to the S3 (Leica S3 Color). I find the latter significantly different (and better), especially in the deep blues and purples. For landscapes, I can get C1 and LR very close without a huge amount of fiddling. Luckily for me, I seldom have to deal with skin tones, where C1 is preeminent.

Yes, unfortunately the Leica S3 color profile (which I agree is best, though I do desaturate it overall by 10 points) does not have the same quality as the regular profile...the inherent shadow noise is higher and there is magenta contamination in the shadows, particularly in higher ISO images. It is the same with custom profiles. Adobe is doing some behind the scenes work in their own profile. What I would love is if that they would do the same, only with a profile that does not have a preset style look. The S3 profile seems like a more understated version of Fuji's classic chrome profile. Call me boring, but I just want a profile that looks more natural, such as was the case in the M9 and S006. Those had punchy, but natural colors that were very close to slide film. The SL2 does well with it too. Unfortunately the S3 does not, to my eye. I know most disagree with me about this, so I don't need to rehash it. I just want to know if the M10R files have the same flavor.

I have no S3, but when I tested one I found it not too different compared to S007.

The M10r, IMO, shows somewhat different color. I slightly prefer S007. M10r can sometimes comeout a little cool and brownish, while skin tones are pretty good. Also M10r comes out a little more contrasty IMO, the midtones of the S007 are better/brighter.

I use mainly adobe LR.

• Thanks 2

In regards of look I also want to add that IMO it depends a lot on lenses.

The 50APO is not too far from S-lenses. Other M lenses show more vignetting and also some a different bokeh than S.

M10r is my most used camera at the moment, but I dont think the IQ equals the S007, and the S3 should be even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have both. As to my personal feeling the S3 colours are fatter in any way and more saturated. In opposition the M 10-R colours seem to be more delicate and especially using the new APO-Summicron 35 mm I find them more balanced. I prefer this (lower weight) combination at the moment. But I hesitate. May be it`s the impression of weight, only.

Regards Hans

Edited by Hans-Dieter Gülicher
  • Thanks 1