Erwin Puts: Leica M overview and how to choose a film-loading M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, sandro said:

I just noticed this thread because of Jono's contribution. Erwin Puts and Tom Abrahamson certainly had rather different approaches, and their information could be complementary sometimes. I still use Erwin's Leica Compendium quite often, but when I tried to discuss certain things with him he never seemed to want that. I asked him for instance to explain his words about the Elmar 3.5/65mm, that its use as a macro-lens might be questioned. He replied that it was simply the case.

Tom always liked to exchange thoughts, althoug I only emailed with him, but his experience and his way of working with Leica camera's and lenses was exciting.

Lex

HI Lex

I had some difficult discussions with Erwin as well!

• Thanks 1

I just read Puts' article.  There are a lot of absolute statements, when in fact it is just his opinion.  For example, the M6 w. the .85 finder is the most desirable of all M6 versions.

To him it is, and there is nothing wrong with that.  But for others?

;)

• Like 1

I just read and printed out a copy of his article. His bench testing of lenses are the source for Leica lens fanatics. So many rumors over the years as regards to the quality of German vs Canada. I think he puts to rest a lot of the rumors if you read carefully with an open mind about the two. I found his observation and practical use of the VC light meters, versus the Leica meters interesting. For my part I have a M2 with a fast loading conversion, M4P, M6 and M7. Is one model better than another? As a layman user, retired professional photographer  I'm guided by one simple word "Leica" is good enough for me.

It is interesting that he praises the M4-2 for its flash sync capabilities, but does not mention how fragile the sync sockets are.  They are anchored in plastic unlike previous Ms anchored in metal.  Because of this they snap off very easily. Ask me how I know.…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edstock said:

I just read and printed out a copy of his article. His bench testing of lenses are the source for Leica lens fanatics. So many rumors over the years as regards to the quality of German vs Canada. I think he puts to rest a lot of the rumors if you read carefully with an open mind about the two. I found his observation and practical use of the VC light meters, versus the Leica meters interesting. For my part I have a M2 with a fast loading conversion, M4P, M6 and M7. Is one model better than another? As a layman user, retired professional photographer  I'm guided by one simple word "Leica" is good enough for me.

Try a used MA…….I like it… I like it:)