Do You Have to Trim the Film Leader on Modern 35mm Film Cassettes to Load Leica III ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first time I loaded my first III the film jammed and a piece of film broke off inside. I then found the template on line and started using that with scissors. That worked fine but a little slow. I finally got an ABLON with the little trimming tool and have been using it ever since. For me it was the way to go.

Len

The one that really sticks in my mind (and my throat) is Lacock Abbey...

Regards,

Bill

One I took (a lot!) earlier. Happier days with less officiousness! Not Leica I'm afraid - the lovely Bronica ETRSi.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 14 years later...

Is there any modification one can do, so that your don’t need to trim the film? 
after all these years there musst be a workaround the trimming of film? 
can you get a m4 or m6 cartridge and use this instead? 

this seems like a pretty easy thing to alter, isn’t it? 

cheers 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Pelu2010 said:

M4 or M6 have non removable spool,

so not possible.

In my use the M spool (for M2/M3) is not interchangeable with screwmount early Leica.

On IIIg, yes same marked "M" spool.

1 hour ago, Pelu2010 said:

You can use the Leitz reloadable film cassettes with the LTM cameras if you like (the longer FILCA only works with the Barnacks and is preferable for them, though the slightly shorter IXMOO from the M era can also be used) but that doesn't help with the leader issue. The 'business card' workaround for any cassette is described upthread (14 years ago!) but to me it seems more trouble than it's worth, and somewhat riskier. And of course you have to do this every time, whereas if you trim a small batch of films before you go out (which doesn't take long once you get used to it) you can load them rapidly 'in the field' without all that fiddling.

If you're talking about the M cameras, trimming isn't necessary.

Edited by Anbaric

25 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

M3 trimming leader isn’t necessary? 

That's correct - no need to trim the leader with the M3 (or any M camera), only with the screwmount cameras.

You can convert the M3 to M4 style loading with this kit, but you don't need to trim even with the original take-up spool:

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/product-page/leica-rapid-load-kit-rlk

Edited by Anbaric
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

That's correct - no need to trim the leader with the M3 (or any M camera), only with the screwmount cameras.

You can convert the M3 to M4 style loading with this kit, but you don't need to trim even with the original take-up spool:

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/product-page/leica-rapid-load-kit-rlk

Cheers thanxs ! 

M3 and later have opening back that lifts the pressure plate so the film easily goes across the guide rails. Leitz ltm bodies have the pressure plate always pressing against the rails, so the long leader is cut so the film doesn't have to try and squeeze past the upper rail where it can buckle or crimp - it just slide between the rails from the end. Even in the 1930s I hear Leitz protptyped an ltm body with opening back flap like the M series, but never implemented it. I have a few Japanese copes of Leica ltm cameras that do have a back flap, so it could have been done.

8 hours ago, Pelu2010 said:

this seems like a pretty easy thing to alter, isn’t it? 

cheers 

No, you can't avoid it or alter it. It's a very simple mechanical situation that if you don't understand it by trying it you can't then fathom why it is impossible to do reliably. The problem is to get the top gear engaged into the film's sprocket holes, so the official fix is to avoid that altogether and trim the leader. There are work arounds that people swear by like inserting a credit card between the film and the film gate to force the film to engage into the top gear teeth. But it takes a whole lot longer than just cutting out the 'work around' crap by just cutting an extra bit of leader before you leave the house in the morning. It's not even like cutting the leader stops you using the film in another camera, but it does cut out all the hit or miss suggestions you can get.

9 hours ago, 250swb said:

No, you can't avoid it or alter it. It's a very simple mechanical situation that if you don't understand it by trying it you can't then fathom why it is impossible to do reliably. The problem is to get the top gear engaged into the film's sprocket holes, so the official fix is to avoid that altogether and trim the leader. There are work arounds that people swear by like inserting a credit card between the film and the film gate to force the film to engage into the top gear teeth. But it takes a whole lot longer than just cutting out the 'work around' crap by just cutting an extra bit of leader before you leave the house in the morning. It's not even like cutting the leader stops you using the film in another camera, but it does cut out all the hit or miss suggestions you can get.

Does that explain why the early 1A cameras only had one sprocket gear, at the bottom end of the camera, as I recently discovered ?

• Like 2

I agree, cutting the leader is the fastest way to load a Barnack. In addition, on my particular IIIf, none of the other methods work, they all result in jamming, and having to remove bits of film debris by turning the camera upside down and sweeping the film gate with a thin card. Oh, and yes, you can load an M3 with a long trimmed leader, if the film had been trimmed for a Barnack and you decided you would put it in your M3 instead.

17 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

When I started shooting 35mm in the early 1960s all available pre-packaged film still had the long Leica-Type leader. Seems like it began to change about 10 years later.

I have got this leaflet, but unfortunately it is not dated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...