Sell Q2 for 28mm Summilux or Summicron?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Steven said:

I got rid of my Q2 as well, but have missed it ever since. By that logic, we should also not buy an M10 and stick to MPs or analog bodies that will last forever. 

I think I am going to get a Q2 again. It's the only camera I managed to use while biking.

The main reasons I don’t have the Q2 any more: I don’t like the way it renders color and handles highlights. It’s like a high res M10-P, which I hated — that look in the highlights that roll off so ungracefully and recover so crudely. And I don’t like the cheap feel of the paint that was too shiny and would easily get smudged up. 

I’m either going to go back to a Q-P or wait for a BSI sensor Q3 with color and highlights like the SLS-2. 

3 hours ago, Steven said:

That sounds sexy. 
I don’t think that the Q3 is expected until 2023 or even later, though? Correct me if I’m wrong. 

That's probably right. So I probably should have said I'd like to wait for a Q2-S with the SL2-S sensor. Maybe they'd even use the SL2-S sensor in the Q2-P with the matte paint – that would be the Q holy grail for me.

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

That's probably right. So I probably should have said I'd like to wait for a Q2-S with the SL2-S sensor. Maybe they'd even use the SL2-S sensor in the Q2-P with the matte paint – that would be the Q holy grail for me.

Yeah... not happening 😂🤪 Q2P is coming, but not with a new sensor. Sorry. 

I sold my Q2 because I thought the lens was too big for an everyday carry camera, and because it made me use my M less. 

I am buying it again because I am into conspicuous street photography a lot these days, and the AF (although it sucks) is handy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steven said:

I sold my Q2 because I thought the lens was too big for an everyday carry camera, and because it made me use my M less. 

I am buying it again because I am into conspicuous street photography a lot these days, and the AF (although it sucks) is handy. 

Perfect! You just wrote the reason why to keep with M: you like best, it's smaller and with the right lens and focusing zone techniques, I bet you could be faster with MF rather than w/ AF. Of course, depending which kind of street photography (SF) you're shooting. Please don't be like me that sometimes I shoot while driving at f/8 with my M10+35/1.4 Nokton 😱

But this is me. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's why I'm confident to say that, depending which kind of SP one is shooting, MF is definitely faster. I can't take a picture like this with a Q2, to AF on the person walking, without accidents, please. Ironically, for this kind of point & shoot photos, I need more time to AF ...

I know Steven you prefer the M essence. Don't get the Q2 only for AF help (although you know it sucks). Instead, you could find your new favorite SP lens, who knows. Staying fully with M, digital and film. Plus SL2-S as big sister 🙂

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Dennis said:

Perfect! You just wrote the reason why to keep with M: you like best, it's smaller and with the right lens and focusing zone techniques, I bet you could be faster with MF rather than w/ AF. Of course, depending which kind of street photography (SF) you're shooting. Please don't be like me that sometimes I shoot while driving at f/8 with my M10+35/1.4 Nokton 😱

But this is me. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's why I'm confident to say that, depending which kind of SP one is shooting, MF is definitely faster. I can't take a picture like this with a Q2, to AF on the person walking, without accidents, please. Ironically, for this kind of point & shoot photos, I need more time to AF ...

I know Steven you prefer the M essence. Don't get the Q2 only for AF help (although you know it sucks). Instead, you could find your new favorite SP lens, who knows. Staying fully with M, digital and film. Plus SL2-S as big sister 🙂

Mate, I shoot street while driving my bike around Paris, and I actually got some crazy shots this way cause people have shocked faces ! I tried it with the M but didn’t enjoy. I really need two hands to shoot my M. I also prefer to shoot with shallower depth of field most of the time. 
I moved on the the Ricoh gr 3, and while I like the camera, the iq is not enough for me. Too far from the q2 at least. 
I actually like the rendering of the q2 sometimes. Crazy 3D pop. 

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

I also prefer to shoot with shallower depth of field most of the time. 

There you go. I see, a good reason why the Q2 is a terrific choice. Especially if you love the 28FL. 

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

I actually like the rendering of the q2 sometimes. Crazy 3D pop. 

+1

it's beautiful

And if it fits your needs, it's a win-win.

Get it and post some cool SP photos taken with the Q2 while biking ... 🏆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steven said:

Maybe the matte paint will make the sensor seem better 😂 I did love the Q-P finish.

Seriously considering getting another X100V for color/AF and near-macro work. The lens is not as good as the Q/Q2, but the color coming off the sensor is really good.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:00 PM, Steven said:

That’s interesting Steven, clearly there will most likely be one but are you implying you know that it will be quite soon :) Like you I had a Q2 but ended up selling it and buying an SL2-S and M10R’s & M’s. I bought a GR3 for a very portable carry anywhere camera, it’s very good for APSC and gets very close to the Q2 at 5.6 but of course the Q2 can go to 1.7 and the GR3 only to 2.8. 

If a Q2P came along very soon I’d be tempted the only thing is that the lens is huge for a ‘compact’ so I’m torn between just using my SL2-S with the M-35mm APO f2 as I’d have to carry both over the shoulder anyway and still keep my GR3 as my go anywhere camera. Decisions decisions 😂

• 7 months later...

Ive tested the 28mm elmarit, summicron and summilux on my M11 vs Q2.

here are my thoughts for now:
- the Q2 is slightly wider (I wish it wasnt). it also has more distortion than the M lenses
- The Q2 is sharper and has a more contrast than any of the other M lenses. Vs the M summilux, its sharper accross the frame until 5.6 at least.
- The summilux M tends to have slightly nicer bokeh than the Q2 but then the Q2 can get much much closer and produce nice creamy bokeh in closeups
- the summilux M has CA on the outside of the frame especially purple fringing above f5.6.... not the Q2. it controls pretty well CA at any aperture
- overall for the M I tend to like the summicron as its a good compromise, less CA and a lot smaller. The elmarit is great for compactness.
- I think the summilux M is way better for zone focusing. The Q2 goes from 2m to infinity straight up.... 

I did not imagine how great the Q2 would stack up to the M11+28mm summilux. that Q/Q2 lens is amazing.
The Q2 is amazing really, for the price, IQ, weight, and all features (AF, OIS, macro, weather sealing even video...)

I could find myself reaching more for the Q2 than my summilux 28 M IMO.....

Edited by Abracadaben

2 hours ago, Abracadaben said:

Ive tested the 28mm elmarit, summicron and summilux on my M11 vs Q2.

here are my thoughts for now:
- the Q2 is slightly wider (I wish it wasnt). it also has more distortion than the M lenses
- The Q2 is sharper and has a more contrast than any of the other M lenses. Vs the M summilux, its sharper accross the frame until 5.6 at least.
- The summilux M tends to have slightly nicer bokeh than the Q2 but then the Q2 can get much much closer and produce nice creamy bokeh in closeups
- the summilux M has CA on the outside of the frame especially purple fringing above f5.6.... not the Q2. it controls pretty well CA at any aperture
- overall for the M I tend to like the summicron as its a good compromise, less CA and a lot smaller. The elmarit is great for compactness.
- I think the summilux M is way better for zone focusing. The Q2 goes from 2m to infinity straight up.... 

I did not imagine how great the Q2 would stack up to the M11+28mm summilux. that Q/Q2 lens is amazing.
The Q2 is amazing really, for the price, IQ, weight, and all features (AF, OIS, macro, weather sealing even video...)

I could find myself reaching more for the Q2 than my summilux 28 M IMO.....

Q2 lens also has extremely low vignetting wide open at f/1.7 compared to the 28 Lux at f/1.4. I tend to like the artistic feel of the 28 Lux vignetting, but the Q2's lower vignetting has its place as well.

The fixed lens design has a lot to do with how well the Q2 lens performs (far corners at infinity notwithstanding).

20 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Q2 lens also has extremely low vignetting wide open at f/1.7 compared to the 28 Lux at f/1.4. I tend to like the artistic feel of the 28 Lux vignetting, but the Q2's lower vignetting has its place as well.

The fixed lens design has a lot to do with how well the Q2 lens performs (far corners at infinity notwithstanding).

I think the Lux is really for those who are after its look, or need 1.4 (and have a M body film or digital). I would also go for the LUX if that makes traveling light and my main camera is an M. M+Q2 is more room than M+LUX.
The Q2 is software corrected in body too. Otherwise it has a lot of distortion compared to the LUX

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Abracadaben said:

I think the Lux is really for those who are after its look, or need 1.4...

Also makes a great landscape lens stopped down.

...(and have a M body film or digital).

Or SL variant, where a close-focus adapter helps it better compete with the MFD of the Q2.

I would also go for the LUX if that makes traveling light and my main camera is an M. M+Q2 is more room than M+LUX.

The Q2 can be nice to have with an M system if you do have the room because of its weather sealing. There are conditions where I would put away my M but could continue shooting with the Q2.

The Q2 is software corrected in body too. Otherwise it has a lot of distortion compared to the LUX

Yes, and that is the one IQ characteristic that when set aside to be corrected in software can allow for better optical correction of everything else, particularly with a fixed lens system. But it's important to remember or realize that the small amount of optical/mechanical vignetting that the Q lens has is moved out of the final image by the distortion correction. This gives better color/noise at the frame edges at f/1.7 versus a lens that needs a lot of vignette correction.

It's actually pretty astonishing how well the Q2 image quality holds up at 47mp given how much distortion correction is applied. 

Edited by hdmesa
grammar