One film camera and one lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve never been able to commit to a one year/one camera/one lens project, as I would miss shooting some of my other cameras. Maybe I could pull off a “one month” to start. Baby steps. 
I really do like the idea a lot, and I’m sure it would be a fantastic experience. 

• Like 1

I could be happy with 1 camera. Needs to be reasonably small, light and inconspicuous as an EDC. Black chrome M-A is performing this duty well.

One lens is much harder. Compact and lightweight again. Used to shoot 50mm exclusively for a few years. These days it's 28mm for street and 90mm for stills and portraits. Can get by with a 35mm, but it's kinda sub-optimal for subjects I am trying to explore.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:20 PM, EddieJ said:

One film camera and one lens ...

Many to choose from:

Rolleiflex 2.8E

Hasselblad Super Wide C

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III

M4 Black Paint + 50 Lux

M6 Black + 35 Asph

(Just purchased) M2 with 50 Cron DR or 35 Cron V3

If I had to choose - Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III

Ok in Dec 2023 One film camera and one lens

Leica M3 + 50 Summicron Rigid

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

If it were really just a (film)camera and a lens, then it would be this combination:

Leica SL2-S * Leica Summicron SL 2.0/50 Asph * CaptureOne

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

MP + 35 Summaron

Edited by skc1031
  • Like 3

98% of my images were shot at 35mm focal length. This camera/lens combo is a classic from the 90ies and can't get better for size, versatility, sharpness, and soul. It can flare beautifully and has the bent focal plane all older Summcrions have wide open; only it's significantly sharper right from the beginning. However, I prefer my M4P and the 35mm Summarit for landscapes as the lens doesn't flare at all (it's even a tad sharper wide open), and the meterless trigger is less prone to shake blur. I never use a tripod. Tripods and Ms are an awkward team.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, StephenH said:

--and I don't think as sharp.  

Very true. In those days, a faster lens was always a bit behind in sharpness/contrast compared to the slower one. Perhaps the hype about the Planar 2.8 was about portraits (printed on Portriga 😄).

On 11/26/2023 at 2:08 AM, johnwolf said:

Yes, I would shoot only with that camera, lens, and film for the year. 

John

I would only do that with a lens I do not already use the most and in my case that’s the 35. A project with only that lens would not bring me much new ways of seeing. I do not see myself as a 50mm addict, so perhaps that lens would be a nice choice. I doubt however whether I would learn something extra from myself. 

Edited by otto.f

10 hours ago, otto.f said:

I would only do that with a lens I do not already use the most and in my case that’s the 35. A project with only that lens would not bring me much new ways of seeing. I do not see myself as a 50mm addict, so perhaps that lens would be a nice choice. I doubt however whether I would learn something extra from myself. 

My usual lens is a 35, so the 50 is quite a change, especially for zone focusing. As part of the initiative I intended to explore genres other than street photography. But I keep gravitating back to candid people photography, although in a different way. Less about the people and more about setting with people as another compositional element. But I’ve also gotten some non-people stuff that I really like. I’m really enjoying the experience.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VanDooglz said:

As much as I love Leicas, any 35mm camera can only be the 2nd camera for me, but not the only one.

I recently printed a portrait I shot on Delta 100 and the 35mm Summciron ASPH. The resolution and detail delicacy are breathtaking, as well as the sharpness.

I always thought of getting a 501CM and Zeiss 60mm lens. But I learned on my journey that the 35mm rabbit hole is deep enough to get lost for a lifetime. If I had started with the Hasselblad, it would be the reverse.

1 hour ago, hansvons said:

I recently printed a portrait I shot on Delta 100 and the 35mm Summciron ASPH. The resolution and detail delicacy are breathtaking, as well as the sharpness.

I always thought of getting a 501CM and Zeiss 60mm lens. But I learned on my journey that the 35mm rabbit hole is deep enough to get lost for a lifetime. If I had started with the Hasselblad, it would be the reverse.

"Rabbit Holes"..???.......Apart from the obvious Leica one my "Warren" has to include the magnificent Nikon F's, ( I have three F2's with which I earned my living back in the late 60's/70's and are still working just fine....), Rollei TLR 2.8/3.5's, ( I regret regret regret selling the 2.8 Wide and Tele' models long ago, stupid ), and the wonderful Pentax 67 that doubles as a gym session if you go out with the body and a three lens kit but is the best film MF camera out there in my book.

• Like 1

One camera, yes, but which one?

Having just printed some pictures from one of my homemade wooden cameras, this one with a rollfilm back I am thinking it is time to use up some of my stock of 120 film for a change from the Leicas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hansvons said:

Agreed! In fact, Delta 100 is my go-to B&W film on 35mm. The reason for my affinity to medium format is not just the final result (we print a tiny % of negatives anyway), but also the process. I enjoy the view on a big and bright waist level finder and 10-12 exposures on a roll is the perfect amount for me. My typical 35mm roll would often sit half-exposed for over a month.

Is it even allowed to have Leica as your number two brand here? :-)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VanDooglz said:

Is it even allowed to have Leica as your number two brand here? 🙂

Absolutely! 

59 minutes ago, VanDooglz said:

I enjoy the view on a big and bright waist level finder and 10-12 exposures on a roll is the perfect amount for me.

I can very much relate to that.