One film camera and one lens

I've used almost every Leica rangefinders since I picked up my first M6 almost 25 years ago.  Although I like the contrast and clarity of the modern viewfinders, I find the frame lines inaccurate for the distances I typically shoot.  Of the old ones I like the M2 the best, as I typically only shoot the 35mm lens these days.  Ha, ha, I better like them, because four are sitting on the shelf.  You know, one for each hands and ... one for each foot I suppose?

• Like 1

this is the beat-up M2 I mentioned.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Different days, different one lenses. Yesterday I shot most of a roll of Porta 160 in my M4 with a 35mm f1.4 FLE.

Today I plan to spend a lot of the day with the same M4, a new roll of Porta 160 with an 18mm f3.8 Super Elmar.

Edited by Gregm61

I am a sucker for zero viewfinder blockage and compactness, therefore I'd be choosing between one of:

M6 TTL 0.85 with 50mm Summarit f/2.5

or...

M6 TTL 0.72 with 35mm Voigtlander Nokton Classic II MC f/1.4

The Nokton is a much better built (and better looking!) lens with better handling, but the 50mm FOV is a bit more versatile for my taste.

Edited by Steven Seven

Black Chrome M4 with 21mm f3.4 SEM and Lightweight Finder (plastic version).  Depth of field offered by this lens and when zone-focused, make it an almost auto focusing setup.  The separate viewfinder eliminates viewer cutoff.

Edited by m410
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

M2, 50 Summilux ASPH.

• Like 16

135: M2 + Summicron 50mm DR

4x5: Linhof MTC + APO-Sironar-S 150mm

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a favorite lens on my M2, but don't limit myself to only one lens - whole idea behind an interchangeable lens camera, right? Why not get a fixed lens camera if you want to go that route? I have a few fixed lens cameras, and they produce sharper images than any of my Leicas - my Rolleiflex and Hasselblad SWC/M come to mind.

6 hours ago, Axelwik said:

don't limit myself to only one lens - whole idea behind an interchangeable lens camera, right? Why not get a fixed lens camera if you want to go that route? 

My view here is that learning the ins and outs of a single lens is good for developing your own style. Folk who are constantly changing lenses, tend to have a so called holiday approach: for architecture a wider and for statues a longer lens. 

Obviously I am exaggerating by generalization and do not refer to anyone in particular. 

My one lens one camera duo is the M-Rokkor 40/2 coupled with M7. A small and fast setup for candids. For some time now, I've been considering getting another lens, maybe a 50 lux, but I find it hard to justify the purchase from a user as well as end result perspective :)

Edited by jukka
  • Like 3

I hate to say it, but just in front of my black paint M3 with 50mm black paint Summilux (pre-hysterical), is the Nikon SP with 50/1.4 Nikkor. I love the accuracy achievable with the long focus throw on this lens and the guesswork of setting the approximate distance before raising to the eye. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 1:33 AM, jukka said:

My view here is that learning the ins and outs of a single lens is good for developing your own style. Folk who are constantly changing lenses, tend to have a so called holiday approach: for architecture a wider and for statues a longer lens. 

Obviously I am exaggerating by generalization and do not refer to anyone in particular. 

My one lens one camera duo is the M-Rokkor 40/2 coupled with M7. A small and fast setup for candids. For some time now, I've been considering getting another lens, maybe a 50 lux, but I find it hard to justify the purchase from a user as well as end result perspective :)

I guess that's a good approach for a beginner.

3 hours ago, Axelwik said:

I guess that's a good approach for a beginner.

Sure, but (in my opinion) that's an equally worthwhile approach also for the more advanced. That said, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "beginner" here. Surely, a pro photojournalist or wedding photographer lugs around a wider lens for group shots and a longer one for portraits (so to speak). You have to get those money shots.

From a personal style perspective, the rest of us can easily benefit from not constantly changing lenses. No reason to force oneself to use a "kit" even if your camera has this wonderful capability.