The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

30 minutes ago, Steven said:

Why 😭😭😳😳 how old are you ? 

work it out Steven, I was shooting fashion in London in the late 60's................There hasn't been a better time since, if only we knew that then!

On 3/4/2021 at 12:12 PM, Steven said:

Yes you trouble me I'll admit that. And yes I realise the words I used led some to believe I commented of technical stuff, this is why I clarified FIVE TIMES! across two threads. Anyway, sending you much love Jeff. 

And here's a photo of the APO between the Pre FLE and the Cron V4, for size comparison. It's on the big side. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Since you have both the FLE and the APO, I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts in the future on real world shooting comparisons. The FLE veiling flare would be enough for me to switch to the APO if it’s more resistant under similar conditions. 

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

work it out Steven, I was shooting fashion in London in the late 60's................There hasn't been a better time since, if only we knew that then!

I find it hard to imagine there ever will be, if you like to be fun and wild and free.

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

The adventure of the Action Hunter was conceived while I was being conceived. I'm starting to figure it out. I hope you stay alive another 50 years though. Your M10D would miss you too much. 

On 3/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, Cobram said:

I was also surprised by this comment.

More so because SL Cron is bigger ... but at the same time also cheaper. Who knows. 

@Steven Based on your Leica purchases in last months did they offer you any discount? 🙂 Are you approaching Leica endorsment?

Excuse me for being a little paranoic but today forums and internet is full of hidden advertising... and your Leica purchases in last months as well as some "new" forum members posting photos and comments after the release of APO Lanthar makes me suspicios that LUF is not immune to such type of marketing... from both sides, Leica and Voigtlander.

In fairness steven did say the M10R was hopeless for getting sharp images because of the high megapixels  so if he is a leica spy he is  doing pretty lousy  job.

One could argue this lens is designed for that camera and future high resolution M cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M35 APO @ f/2 on an M10R

• Like 5

The Leica 35mm APO seems to be simply an outstanding lens and I’m very impressed so far. Given it’s quite likely to take the crown for an MF 35mm lens (and I might well buy it) just a thought, whilst Leica continue to push the boundaries of what’s achievable for the M Mount at this price point how close have the competition now got? As someone with a a wide range of leading M and SL glass I’d really like someone far better qualified than me to compare the situation from 10 year ago to today’s release.

I’m sure the above would still have the 35 & 50mm M APO’s at the top of the leader board but where honestly does the 35 & 50 APO Voigtlanders sit for example compared to their predecessors of 10 years ago. Are they say still 80% as good with a wide differential or in truth is it 97 or 98%, for 15% of the price and only deep pixel peeping can tell the difference? Today I think this is the real commercial test for both companies so over to someone far better qualified than me to work this one out but lets hear it on a professional level.

My first Voigtlander APO purchase (and first serious 3rd party purchase) has me wondering for my M10M and M10R :)

• Like 4

I appreciate photographs of a waterproofing membrane may not be that exciting, but here is a full frame and then a crop of the same image. Having a 35mm lens (that is optically amazing) that can also close focus, really does open up a world of possibility for M users (or CL or SL users travelling light). These is straight OOC just RAW coverted for forums posting. Also handheld at 1/90m, using liveview obviously. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:12 AM, Steven said:

And here's a photo of the APO between the Pre FLE and the Cron V4, for size comparison. It's on the big side. 

This made me start searching for a Cron V4 instead of buying the new one..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steven said:

I dont want to disagree with you again, but I do strongly disagree. A lens that produces a glow vs a lens that produces a hyper realistic look (which in my opinion are two main "Leica looks" the old one vs the new one) add a layer of emotion before the photographer gets to speak on top of it. 

Perhaps the people who like more the Leica lenses from the years 1980 to 2008 are better off with the modern Voigtlanders like the new Apo Lanthar 35/2.0. Although some older Voigtlanders were astounding in character too, like the 75/2.4 for instance

3 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

I just love the size. That’s partly what it’s all about, no?

I finally broke down and paid a pretty penny for a v4 chrome. It has been glued to my M10 for a couple months now and I love the rendering and small size. It’s heavier than I thought it would be but thankfully it doesn’t tilt the M forward when set on a table. Does anyone know if the M10 tilts forward with the 35 APO? With and without the hood?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, junix said:

Yes, loving the size too + I searched a bit photos on the forum and I really love how it draws.

Nice little gem.

Get a silver one while it's still affordable. The fast that it's small, well built, draws amazing, presents beautiful colourful both on film and digital, and that it bears the name "King of Bokeh" is the perfect cocktail to make it a lens worth 20K for the 2040 generation of hipsters. 

1 hour ago, ELAN said:

I finally broke down and paid a pretty penny for a v4 chrome. It has been glued to my M10 for a couple months now and I love the rendering and small size. It’s heavier than I thought it would be but thankfully it doesn’t tilt the M forward when set on a table. Does anyone know if the M10 tilts forward with the 35 APO? With and without the hood?

It is one gram away from setting the camera unbalance. If you put it gently on the table, it will just be barely balanced. If someone knocks the table, it might tip over. One one to solve it, as with most front heavy lens (Q2 included), is to leave the focus tab under the lens to help it balance the camera when it tips over. Without the hood, no issue. 

May I ask how much you paid for the silver v4, if its not to indiscreet ? It's just to have a reference and know if I paid mine right last month. 

Hi Steven, 

Entertaining and fun thread.

A bit jealous and a bit puzzled you managed to buy this one out of two copies randomly in France. I would have assumed you put your name on the list a long time ago to get the first lens. I don't really follow how Leica allocates nor do I understand who get to buy them, thinking partly of the new silver Noctilux f1.2 but also on the black Chrome. 

Anyway to the question. I have a few 35mm pre ASPH Summilux's titan and black - the FLE, a Summicron ASPH (black paint), one or two Voigtländer. I rarely use the FLE mainly due to size but I also because I think the 35mm pre ASPh is nicer especially on film. In terms of size could you snap a picture of the FLE next to the APO? I did see it next to pre ASPH. Thx David

Edited by M10Alpine

11 minutes ago, Steven said:

May I ask how much you paid for the silver v4, if its not to indiscreet ? It's just to have a reference and know if I paid mine right last month. 

I bought a “like-new” from Schouten with box and papers and paid more than you did :)

4 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

A bit jealous and a bit puzzled you managed to buy this one out of two copies randomly in France. I would have assumed you. put your name on the list a long time ago to get the first lens. I don't really follow how Leica allocates nor do I understand who get to buy them, thinking partly of the new silver Noctilux f1.2 but also on the black Chrome. 

I didn't put my name on a list. I showed up at random without knowing about the existence of that lens a day before the announcement at the store. I get along very well with the people there (mostly because I spend money). They told me they had just received an unreleased lens. A bit of talks and smiles, and ten minutes later I swiped my credit card, purely because I wanted to try the MFD, which has been a great disappointment in practice although the image quality at close range is irreproachable and stellar. 

They proposed me last month the only silver Noctilux they had. I knew nothing about it and turned it down. How much I regret now seeing some of them are listed for 80k on eBay. They called me on Thursday to tell me they were receiving one black one in march and that they could keep it for me. I said sure, why not, but I might change my mind. I hate that focal length..

7 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

Anyway to the question. I have a few 35mm pre ASPH Summilux's titan and black - the FLE, a Summicron ASPH (black paint), one or two Voigtländer. I rarely use the FLE mainly due to size but I also because I think the 35mm pre ASPh is nicer especially on film. In terms of size could you snap a picture of the FLE next to the APO? I did see it next to pre ASPH. Thx David

I have a pre fle, a cron v4, two nokton, and a silver pre asph v1, but I do not have the FLE, sorry. Considering the it's almost as tall as the pre fle, I would assume that its about the same length as the FLE, which is a bit shorter than the pre fle. Where you will feel the most difference is in the diameter. It is very very thin compared to by pre FLE. Sorry I cant be of more help. 

• Like 1