Film Trimmer for preparing film for Leica Cassettes

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A lifetime ago, I used to buy bulk film, and load it onto my collection of Leica cassettes.  I had a changing bag, but I think I often did this in a dark room, pulling an appropriate length of film off the bulk roll, then using a metal "trimmer" that I think cut both ends of the film, one end to attach to the cassette spool, and the other end for loading into the camera.

Anybody here know what I'm talking about?  If so, are they still available for purchase?

My memory is that it was two pieces of metal, that the film went between, and when you squeezed them together, it cut the film to the right shape.

I intended to save it "for the future", but this was maybe 25 years ago.  I sold all my darkroom gear, as my new condo is too small to set anything up, but loading and developing my own film should be as simple as it was way back when.....   This tool made it a lot easier than using scissors.

I got a cheap Photax clone of the ABLON recently from my dealer, before he had to close again, but I still prefer my homemade one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Prinz made one too. 

My father bought an ABLON in the early 1940's. I am still using it today. The only issue I have with the ABLON is that I have to pull more film than I like out of the cassette to cut the leader because of the pointed extension on the ABLON for cutting the spool end of the film. I could get one more usable frame out of a roll if I could expose a shorter length of the film. I bought the Prinz template thinking I would cut off its extensions, which are even longer than the triangle on the ABLON. I haven't brought myself to doing that yet. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Doug A said:

Prinz made one too. 

My father bought an ABLON in the early 1940's. I am still using it today. The only issue I have with the ABLON is that I have to pull more film than I like out of the cassette to cut the leader because of the pointed extension on the ABLON for cutting the spool end of the film. I could get one more usable frame out of a roll if I could expose a shorter length of the film. I bought the Prinz template thinking I would cut off its extensions, which are even longer than the triangle on the ABLON. I haven't brought myself to doing that yet. 

Yes, that is why my homemade one has a shorter back end, to avoid pulling out too much film when cutting the leader.

Oops, I've been going through my old photo gear.  I've got metal cassettes for Zeiss Ikon (Contax), Nikon (SP, S3), Robot, but nothing  for Leica.  Maybe by then I was using the M3 mostly for color?  I'm not sure.  Too long ago.

Question #1 - are film Leica cassettes still available (and if so, at a reasonable cost)?  I'd like to buy at least two of them.

Question #2 - is the film. trimming device pictured up above required for film for an M3 ?   Won't store bought 35mm film drop in and load?

Question #3 - did the need for this special trimming go away when Leica introduced the camera back that swings upwards?

Time to get out one of my many old Leica books, and refresh my memory cells.

20 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Oops, I've been going through my old photo gear.  I've got metal cassettes for Zeiss Ikon (Contax), Nikon (SP, S3), Robot, but nothing  for Leica.  Maybe by then I was using the M3 mostly for color?  I'm not sure.  Too long ago.

Question #1 - are film Leica cassettes still available (and if so, at a reasonable cost)?  I'd like to buy at least two of them.

Question #2 - is the film. trimming device pictured up above required for film for an M3 ?   Won't store bought 35mm film drop in and load?

Question #3 - did the need for this special trimming go away when Leica introduced the camera back that swings upwards?

Time to get out one of my many old Leica books, and refresh my memory cells.

1 - check ebay

2 - yes, 'normal' 35mm film will be fine to load in an M3

3 - you would need to trim the leader on any bulk loaded film. The longer type leader was necessary for the LTM Leica's and other bottom loading cameras of the time. Standard cartridges of pre loaded film were always made with the longer leaders as standard. The photo industry seemed to phase it out in favour of the shorter leader type sometime around the late 70's (partly due to the cost of silver and partly due to the fact that most people were using cameras that didn't need longer leaders).

You  don't actually need a film trimming device, an intelligent guess is good enough especially for an M camera. In fact for an M camera you don't need to trim the film at all, just cut it square, the tapered leader simply makes the leader end more flexible by removing surface area and works better with very springy film stock. 

Will van Manen once gave me this paper:

• Like 1

When I was still a kid living at home, I had a darkroom, and my bulk film loader.  I started reloading the metal cassettes for my Contax camera, which had two "keys" on the bottom of the camera, one of which opened the cassette.  I don't remember for sure, but I think my Nikon SP worked the same way.  I can't find any of my Leica cassettes, so maybe I never had any?  If they did, would locking the base plate in place also open a reloadable film cassette?

Now they have film cassettes with a ring on one end that allows them to be opened for reloading film.  Are these any good?

I always wanted, but never got one of the old style Leica cameras like the IIIf.  All I ever used was "M" Leicas.  Until I was reminded a month or so ago by the instructions above, I forgot how to load the M cameras - but I would like to think that it would have quickly been obvious to me - and if not, I've got lots of books about my film Leica cameras.

It has been so long I don't remember, but do any of you recognize it as a reloadable film cassette for a Leica M camera?  I think I have two of them - it used to be much cleaner.

I know it's different from my Nikon  cassettes, it is marked "ZU" (closed?) and I'm also 99% sure it's not for my Robot cameras that I used to own.  Turn out I own three of them - all seemingly in good shape, but needing cleaning!

Re-thinking, it's also very possible that they are for my Contax II camera.......

Edited by MikeMyers
oops, maybe for Contax II, not Leica M

It’s a Contax cassette. If you look at the top end of the metal spool, in your picture, it will have Zeiss on the end. The spool in my picture does not as it is a later plastic take up spool. The original cassettes came in a barrel shaped container, later ones in a thin metal one. Russian Kiev cassettes looks similar.

For the M3 you want the IXMOO cassette (not the FILCA). The film is really easy to trim to load onto one of those with a pair of scissors, just cut at the third sprocket hole on the film on both sides, for the cassette part, on the other end a very simple cut works. Maybe there is a better way for that end, a tool or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Also rolling my own films from 100' rolls but not using the old Leica cartridges. Instead I am using the plastic Kalt cartridges. For my Leica IIIc, I cut my own film cutter from cardboard which I use as gauge to cut out the film. Works perfectly and costs nothing!

On 1/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, Doug A said:

Prinz made one too. 

I have a similar (but not the same) one and I just gave up using it. I just cut the film freehand with a scissors and leave two sprocket holes outside the cassette. It works every time.

William