soft shutter release for Leica M

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I almost feel silly for posting this thread, but maybe I'll be surprised and there actually is a difference.

There seem to be scads of soft releases for the Leica M cameras, ranging in cost from "minimal" to "ouch!".

Completely ignoring "looks", and whether or not there is an expensive name or logo on the release, is there any reason to pick one of them over all the others?  Ignoring the cost, and only considering how well it works, does one of these stand out over the rest?

Thinking out loud, if the part the finger touches is softer, that might help to smooth the shutter actuation.  I would have thought rubber would be a good material to make one of these from, with solid metal at the other end of the scale.   If one of these is highly recommended, I'll probably order two, one for my M10 and one for my M8.2.

On the other hand, if it's just a wasted trinket, with no real effect on taking photos in low light, I'll stop thinking about it.

This one sounded the most functional to me:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1062805-REG/nikon_271156_ar_11_soft_shutter_release.html/overview 

First you need to decide whether a concave or convex shutter release suits you better.

Personally I prefer convex because I press down with the fleshy part of my first finger between the first and second knuckles.  This lets me release the shutter more smoothly than if I was 'stabbing' at the naked shutter release with my finger tip and allows me to shoot at slower shutter speeds without camera shake.

I use the large Abrahamsson soft releases on all my M's.

Pete.

• Like 2

Like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

.....or this:

• Like 2

Like this actually:

Digilux 2 with Elpro-D

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Why not get the best of both worlds with Komaru?

Leica Miami sells them and I'm sure you can return them if its not your cup of tea

I preferred 8mm soft-shutter release button.

Ergonomically fitting my finger and a well-balanced outlook.

Leica Soft Release Button "LEICA", 8 mm, chrome, convex version mounted on M10 Monochrom🖖🏻

👇🏻Leica Soft Release Button "LEICA", 8 mm, red, convex version mounted on M10-P

Edited by Erato
  • Like 1

Mike

there are so many options.  How are you going to choose.   You dont need to spend $45 -$300 at a Leica dealer.  Just find a $5 soft release on Ebay.  Make sure it is a small diameter because the shutter release is actually a two step process.   A (too) large button can inhibit step one which is the exposure and isn't the shutter release stage.   

By the way.  A soft shutter release isn't a soft material. 

Edited by lucerne

I just had a nice discussion with someone who works at the Leica Store in Miami.  Her opinion is that these things are for "looks", not "function".  How am I going to choose - simple, I think I will choose to forget about this for now.  When I get an opportunity, I'll try one and see how it feels to me.

Thanks for all the advice.  It sounded like a good idea a few hours ago.  Now I think it's just a "gimmick".

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, adan said:

Grip the camera with three fingers and the thumb of the right hand. Lay the index finger across the top of the camera so that that tip lies on the shutter dial, bent ~70° at the second finger joint.

That finger will then "bridge" the shutter button and its protective bowl or bezel. The finger is now stabilized on four points - the shutter dial, both sides of the shutter button bezel, and the edge of the camera under the second knuckle.

Then simply squeeze or flex that whole finger down (as farnz says, don't "stab" with a fingertip). The finger flesh will settle into the bowl, firing the shutter (and tightening your grip at the same time, just when you need it). Much more stable than balancing the finger or fingertip on a raised "pinnacle" (i.e. add-on button).

Try it.

I will try this tomorrow - I'm sort of doing what you said now, but I'll try it with the four point stabilization.  What you wrote sounds good.  Thanks you!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

Now I think it's just a "gimmick".

I hear this now and then and all I can say is that it works for me for the reasons I gave above and it's a fairly insulting thing to hear because the sub-text is that soft release users obviously don't know what they're doing, which is nonsense.  I've tried to help you so you might like to dwell on that.

Pete.

• Like 2

Sorry, I wrote that poorly.  Basically I was just repeating what I was told by the person at the Leica Store in Miami.  It led to a long phone discussion.

Let's talk about me.  I now know with no doubt whatever that I didn't know what I was doing.  See next post, so I can do this properly.  But first, back to you, I never thought that I was insulting anyone.  I wouldn't knowingly do that even if I wanted to, but I'll say right now, here, for the record, if I write that I do something you guys think is wrong, please >DO< say something about it.  Even if it's "insulting".  Yes, thank you for trying to help me.  I apologize for any thoughts that weren't written properly.

Next response is what I now need to post here, and remember from now on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I thought it was a gimmick for a long while, and try not to waste $ on it until the first trial(hands-on).
This tiny shutter release button is quite helpful while comparing with a bare hole.

My experience, FYR:

A. Without soft-shutter release button -- Fare QoE, 2 step is not sensitive, and you feel that the feedback is not that obvious. Dustproof and the outlook is a plus for me.
B. 4-points technic -- is steady but less sensitive, and it's not comfortable according to personal QoE.
C. With soft-shutter button -- Best QoE, most comfortable, agile, sensitive, and crystal clear two-steps. Dustproof and the outlook is a plus for me.
I hope this test is helpful. The best result deepens the personal flavor, and I recommend that OP could compare differences while hands-on.

Edited by Erato
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adan said:

I never use soft releases. Used properly, the M shutter release - as designed - is better than any add-on.

What is "used properly?"

Grip the camera with three fingers and the thumb of the right hand. Lay the index finger across the top of the camera so that that tip lies on the shutter dial, bent ~70° at the second finger joint.

That finger will then "bridge" the shutter button and its protective bowl or bezel. The finger is now stabilized on four points - the shutter dial, both sides of the shutter button bezel, and the edge of the camera under the second knuckle.

Then simply squeeze or flex that whole finger down (as farnz says, don't "stab" with a fingertip). The finger flesh will settle into the bowl, firing the shutter (and tightening your grip at the same time, just when you need it). Much more stable than balancing the finger or fingertip on a raised "pinnacle" (i.e. add-on button).

Try it.

This is the most amazing thing anyone has told me about how to use my Leica M.  I looked at your photo, and my first impression was that it made no sense at all.  It just looked all wrong to me.  Then I picked up one of my cameras and tried it.  Incredible - when I applied enough pressure to that part of my finger to release the shutter, the camera remained rock still!  I tried it over and over - amazing!  So for 50 years I've been doing this wrong.   I had to slide my index finger just a little bit further over the shutter release - still need to practice.  I need to make this a habit from now on.  

To me, it "looks" wrong, and it "feels" wrong, but there is no doubt about it - when the shutter is released, the camera didn't move, or at least not enough that I could see it.

Until now, I used the ball of my finger outboard of the first joint.  I thought the idea was to do that, rather than have my finger pointing down, and use my finger like a plunger.  The photo on page 32 of the "Leica M10 The Expanded Guide" show what I've been doing until now.

Question - how did you ever learn to do it the way you described?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Erato said:

........ I recommend that OP could compare differences while hands-on........

No reason not to try - I will order one of the reasonably priced ones from B&H, and see how it works for me.  It should arrive by the middle of next week.

• Like 1

The only M I use a soft release on is my M5. Because the button gradually moves the meter cell out of the way the button has longer travel and presses deeper compared to other M models. A tiny convex button makes it feel more like my other cameras.