M10P shutter release button fault

KFo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m wondering if any of you have heard anything about a shutter button failures on M10P.  

For a while I’d noticed that when shooting vertically it seemed that the shutter release didn’t always function.  I wasn’t completely  sure about it though: it has been a very rare occurrence and always caught me in the middle of something.  Yesterday it happened with the camera held normally in the horizontal and I had the opportunity to observe that pressing the shutter release multiple times produced no action.

This seems like a fundamental and what should be a well proven/developed button.  Any word of this happening out there?  I did a search here and didn’t see any mentions.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

I've seen that a couple times on my M10 in normal position. The last time i found the battery was quite low. After changing the battery all was fine.

Interesting. When it happened to me yesterday I don’t know the battery charge at the time, however this morning with the same battery it’s at 55%.

• 3 months later...

I found my shutter sticking or not working and it was purely mechanical. The shutter worked with a cable release, but there must have been some foreign materials or particles under the button that eventually worked out by poking with a pointed object. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, Twasi said:

I’ve just discovered that sometimes the shutter housing can come unscrewed and you need to screw it back down or the shutter won’t work

Two years after you posted this, you saved my butt!  My M10 Monochrom wouldn't fire.  I could fire via Fotos app and could half press the button to lock exposure, so I knew it was something mechanical instead of software.  Saw your post and fixed it in 5 seconds with a simple turn of the houseing after about an hour of freaking out.  THANKS!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 4:52 PM, kepstein said:

How is this done?

Thanks,

Ken

See this pic for an explanation.  It's just a part that is threaded on and sits on top of on / off switch.  If it loosens (i.e. turns counter clockwise), it sits higher and prevents you from fully engaging the shutter button.  You have to grab it and turn clockwise (without grabbing the on/off switch).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 1:34 AM, kevinjoe said:

See this pic for an explanation.  It's just a part that is threaded on and sits on top of on / off switch.  If it loosens (i.e. turns counter clockwise), it sits higher and prevents you from fully engaging the shutter button.  You have to grab it and turn clockwise (without grabbing the on/off switch).

can you tighten it up using a soft release? 

On 1/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, kevinjoe said:

This didn't work for me.  The ring was already tight.

Thanks,

Ken

So far my M10(non-p) and M10R have never had this problem...

I have noted that the threaded ring around the shutter on my 10R can be loosened by turning it with finger pressure but on my M10 it's really tight (far tighter than I wish to try and loosen it by finger pressure alone and I see no reason to try harder) 

I wonder why this is?

Maybe it's the redesigned quieter shutter, but that probably doesn't necessitate a new shutter button, or perhaps they originally used thread lock and now they don't?

4 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

No, it's the black part that the shutter button sits inside

ahh great! i missed that thingy.. thanks mate and OP for pointing this out... when it occurs really panicking..

may be prior to sticky shutter m10r due to this? it happened especially in black paint...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jakontil said:

may be prior to sticky shutter m10r due to this? it happened especially in black paint...

So far my 2 months in my ownership, secondhand 10R black chrome (not BP 😥, but about 3k cheaper 😀) hasn’t missed a shot (it did randomly under expose one frame)

It’ll even shot-to-shot as fast as I can tap the button (until the buffer slows it down) - some folks complain there’s is a bit sluggish to do this

So no complaints from me so far.

However as a silly way to say something 

If someone put a gun to my head and said unscrew the shutter surround on both your 10 and 10R, I could do the 10R with finger pressure, but not my 10 which is tighter than I can turn it

So seems like Leica changed something there between the original ‘louder’ shutter 10 and the quieter shutter P/R

(possibly something as simple as not using thread lock, but who knows?)

3 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

So far my 2 months in my ownership, secondhand 10R black chrome (not BP 😥, but about 3k cheaper 😀) hasn’t missed a shot (it did randomly under expose one frame)

It’ll even shot-to-shot as fast as I can tap the button (until the buffer slows it down) - some folks complain there’s is a bit sluggish to do this

So no complaints from me so far.

However as a silly way to say something 

If someone put a gun to my head and said unscrew the shutter surround on both your 10 and 10R, I could do the 10R with finger pressure, but not my 10 which is tighter than I can turn it

So seems like Leica changed something there between the original ‘louder’ shutter 10 and the quieter shutter P/R

(possibly something as simple as not using thread lock, but who knows?)

That’s probably says so… thanks for clarifying adam bout the shutter, really appreciate it!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 11:34 AM, kevinjoe said:

I had the same problem with an M10-D I just purchased online (I am given to understand that an M10-D is an M10-P with no screen, BTW). 

Worked with FOTOS, but the button acted like a half-press, showing the exposure, etc. Screwed it down (on/off switch is elsewhere on the M10-D) and voila. Worked

So this post saved me from freaking out as well. Thank you kevinjoe!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, Gary Lang said:

I had the same problem with an M10-D I just purchased online (I am given to understand that an M10-D is an M10-P with no screen, BTW). 

Worked with FOTOS, but the button acted like a half-press, showing the exposure, etc. Screwed it down (on/off switch is elsewhere on the M10-D) and voila. Worked

Glad the illustration helped Gary!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 10:16 PM, Gary Lang said:

Would love to know how you screwed the black surround down on your M10-D. Having this exact issue and am sure this is the fix, but the black shutter surround feels tight to the touch and I can’t spin or wiggle it by hand. How did you screw/unscrew it? Any help would be much appreciated! 

Edited by sierrawhiskeybravo